New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2018
    Hi everyone,

Please allow me to post my first thread. I'm in the market for a used SUV or PPV. My criteria are as follows:
    a. Price range: 600k - 650k
    b. Transmission: A/T
    c. Drivetrain: 4x2 or 4x4 (no preference)
    d. Fuel: Diesel

As far as my intended use:
    City: 60%
    Highway: 30%
    Farm: 10%

So far, my search has resulted in the following:
    1. 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4x2
    2. 2009 Mitsubishi Montero Sport GLS 4x4
    3. 2011 Ford Everest 4x4
    4. 2007 Toyota Fortuner 4x2

Hingi lang po ng advice about each model, specifically pros & cons.
    Thank you in advance, your feedback is much appreciated!

2. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rico_yan View Post
    Hi everyone,

Please allow me to post my first thread. I'm in the market for a used SUV or PPV. My criteria are as follows:
    a. Price range: 600k - 650k
    b. Transmission: A/T
    c. Drivetrain: 4x2 or 4x4 (no preference)
    d. Fuel: Diesel

As far as my intended use:
    City: 60%
    Highway: 30%
    Farm: 10%

So far, my search has resulted in the following:
    1. 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4x2
    2. 2009 Mitsubishi Montero Sport GLS 4x4
    3. 2011 Ford Everest 4x4
    4. 2007 Toyota Fortuner 4x2

Hingi lang po ng advice about each model, specifically pros & cons.
    Thank you in advance, your feedback is much appreciated!
    search mo si medwin marfil sa FB.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ^ lead vocals ng true faith? nasa buy and sell auto business pala siya bro

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    if youre going to put some heavy items sa vehicle, remove the santa fe. its payload capacity isnt upto par with the ppvs. if not it is the quietest of the bunch.

FOCUS

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ^^^ I would go with the Santa Fe on that list. It is best handling one among the others.

6. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    ^ lead vocals ng true faith? nasa buy and sell auto business pala siya bro
    yes and no bro LOL
    i think sa utol nya yun montero

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Given the choices, assuming all are in good condition i would take a serious look at the Sta. Fe and MS options.

The Sta. Fe would be the most carlike and will be the fastest of the bunch. Parts are affordable if you purchase from and have your service done outside the Hyundai dealership. Expect niggles to be repaired here and there given the age; design may be ageing already though (this is my opinion).

The MS of course will be easy to mod and repair as well. If you ask me, if you plan to keep the car for a good five years, the MS may age better and still be easier to sell at the end of the day.

8. Join Date
    May 2018
    Thanks sirs Egan, Stock, Vinj, for your inputs. I had a chance to borrow and drive both Santa Fe 4x2 and MS 4x2 from friends. I would concur, SF has a car-like ride and stronger engine punch, compared to MS. Although, when it comes to dirt/rough road, I would give an edge to MS, it absorbs the bumps from the dirt road better than SF, in my opinion. On noise, vibration & harshness (NVH) department, I'm impressed with SF as well.

Re: payload, I don't foresee loading heavy items on a regular basis. Maybe having occupants on the 3rd row seats once in a while.

I didn't experience the SUA issue of MS, nor my owner friend. He also said that he has not experienced major mechanical issues with it, aside from the typical wear & tear items. On the other hand, my SF owner friend has had one major steering malfunction, albeit covered by manufacturer warranty. Other than that, only wear & tear items for SF as well.

I have yet to talk to Fort and Everest owners re: their driving and maintenance experiences. And I have always wondered about the resale value of used SF & Everest, I think they lose value faster than competing models.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Since you mentioned farm, I'd suggest the Montero. You may not need the 4x4 99% of the time, but you'll thank the heavens for it when the situation arises. Why'd I say this? My Santa Fe got stuck in a grassy backyard in the more provincial part of Bulacan (unpaved roads everywhere). Someone was doing the laundry nearby and the soil was wet where I parked. And it was only the spot where the front tires were on that was wet. The spot occupied by the rear tires were rock-dry. Kakahiya. [emoji23] It must be noted though that I was using highway tires.

If mostly city driving though, I'd suggest the Santa Fe. Lots of power, comfortable, decent handling like everybody says. Engine and transmission is still the same as the outgoing Santa Fe (new one only has new transmission but same engine) and the current Sorento and Carnival. As long as the suspension is in good shape, no problem carrying 8 passengers or more. Just take note that the Santa Fe eats front tires for breakfast due to the huge torque, especially true for the 4x2.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Since you mentioned farm, I'd suggest the Montero. You may not need the 4x4 99% of the time, but you'll thank the heavens for it when the situation arises. Why'd I say this? My Santa Fe got stuck in a grassy backyard in the more provincial part of Bulacan (unpaved roads everywhere). Someone was doing the laundry nearby and the soil was wet where I parked. And it was only the spot where the front tires were on that was wet. The spot occupied by the rear tires were rock-dry. Kakahiya. [emoji23] It must be noted though that I was using highway tires.

If mostly city driving though, I'd suggest the Santa Fe. Lots of power, comfortable, decent handling like everybody says. Engine and transmission is still the same as the outgoing Santa Fe (new one only has new transmission but same engine) and the current Sorento and Carnival. As long as the suspension is in good shape, no problem carrying 8 passengers or more. Just take note that the Santa Fe eats front tires for breakfast due to the huge torque, especially true for the 4x2.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    and the montys softer suspension is better than the old forts..

FOCUS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast