The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    MB ako IMHO lang!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4
    BMWs are a good alternative to the MB especially with their good(or even better) track record.
    Isn't there a place along Santolan that repairs Euro cars (a few meters away from Speedy Fix)? I've seen some old BMWs, Benzes and even an old Rolls Royce being serviced there.

I think you are referring to the shop of Joe Reyes. SEYER for short..

Hahah. no offense to the loyal customers of joe... There are a lot of better repairshops out there to get your money.. I was one of the suckers there before I learned how to become a mechanic.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    benz for me

on my second 124 (1992 E320 sportline); first car was not a good buy but worths the try

things Ive learned to maintain reliability is buy new replacement parts for critical systems like electrical, fuel and cooling system.

problems encountered:

1. alternator: original alternator is underpowered (90w) and a voltage of >13v
    is required with lights off and >12 volts on idle at traffic with lights on. Have to change my alternator to 120w (from sclass). Its better to have a digital voltmeter fot monitoring. If the orig alternator bogs down usually from diodes, i. suggest that it be replaced with new one for reliability but if the problem is with voltage regulator, just repair it.

2. buying an old benz, be sure to replace the fuel pump and filters to minimize stalling on long trips

3. know how to bypass the fuel relay or in my case i installed a dual bosch relay that can bypass the fuel relays.

4. have a standby overhead protection relay

5. clean the fuses for grimes, dirt and corrosions: may cause electrical malfunctions

6. renew radiator hoses; i have a back up switch to turn on the turbo fans
    in case of overheating

7. deteriorating engine wiring harness: i have it spliced behind the engine well and rewired (cost: <P5000 vs OEM wires: P120,000)

8. always have your old fanbelt as standby

i love my benz because despite its age, it can still beat any new japanese car
    in terms of style and ride and not keen on buying new japs because you invest
    about a milliion just to lose its value in probably 8-10 years. while if you buy a 10 yr old japs, it will be rusted in another 5-10years and looks too old for its design. If you put a benz side by side with a BMW of the same age, the benz far outclass a BMW.

cost of parts are comparative to newer japs parts and parts would last for 10 years. for non critical parts, lots of surplus parts are available at half the price

example: a pair of tiretod is P1200 only.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rwiv
    benz for me

on my second 124 (1992 E320 sportline); first car was not a good buy but worths the try

things Ive learned to maintain reliability is buy new replacement parts for critical systems like electrical, fuel and cooling system.

problems encountered:

1. alternator: original alternator is underpowered (90w) and a voltage of >13v
    is required with lights off and >12 volts on idle at traffic with lights on. Have to change my alternator to 120w (from sclass). Its better to have a digital voltmeter fot monitoring. If the orig alternator bogs down usually from diodes, i. suggest that it be replaced with new one for reliability but if the problem is with voltage regulator, just repair it.

2. buying an old benz, be sure to replace the fuel pump and filters to minimize stalling on long trips

3. know how to bypass the fuel relay or in my case i installed a dual bosch relay that can bypass the fuel relays.

4. have a standby overhead protection relay

5. clean the fuses for grimes, dirt and corrosions: may cause electrical malfunctions

6. renew radiator hoses; i have a back up switch to turn on the turbo fans
    in case of overheating

7. deteriorating engine wiring harness: i have it spliced behind the engine well and rewired (cost: <P5000 vs OEM wires: P120,000)

8. always have your old fanbelt as standby

i love my benz because despite its age, it can still beat any new japanese car
    in terms of style and ride and not keen on buying new japs because you invest
    about a milliion just to lose its value in probably 8-10 years. while if you buy a 10 yr old japs, it will be rusted in another 5-10years and looks too old for its design. If you put a benz side by side with a BMW of the same age, the benz far outclass a BMW.
    Not my BMW... ehehe. Peace dude! :hippie:

cost of parts are comparative to newer japs parts and parts would last for 10 years. for non critical parts, lots of surplus parts are available at half the price

example: a pair of tiretod is P1200 only.
    The W124 is, for me, one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen. Stock, side by side, talong talo ang BMW E34. The BMW E34 would have to really dress up to get it looking good. The W124 is good na with only a change of mags. But once an M kit & mags are on the E34, biglang pang-matanda na looks ng W124, whatever you add on to it... (IMHO)

However, my slightly older (2 yrs) E34 has needed replacement of only #s 2 & 6.

Btw sir rwiv, your E320 is a turbo?

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    nope its not a turbo

okay din bm basta 5 series kaya lang mas special yata sa tools ang BMW
    saka kung sprinter and fuel efficiency syempre BMW, MB is slower because its made more for safety and comfort.

saka pala if youre an enthusiast dapat my konti alam sa diy or else get a japs.

kung benz lots of info at shopforum, benzworld and mbworld for troubleshooting and is another reason why its easier to repair but this is true only for models below 1996. models after this has lots of electronics which are future sources of problems. unless you have the money to have it repaired at casa then go for newer models.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    nope its not a turbo.
    Ahh, I was wondering kc I saw the "...turbo fans" in #6 of your post. Oks.

okay din bm basta 5 series kaya lang mas special yata sa tools ang BMW
    saka kung sprinter and fuel efficiency syempre BMW, MB is slower because its made more for safety and comfort.

saka pala if youre an enthusiast dapat my konti alam sa diy or else get a japs.

kung benz lots of info at shopforum, benzworld and mbworld for troubleshooting and is another reason why its easier to repair but this is true only for models below 1996. models after this has lots of electronics which are future sources of problems. unless you have the money to have it repaired at casa then go for newer models.
    Oo nga, kahit sa BMW... buysit electronics! Btw, am not bashing MBs, yun lang talaga experience namin sa kanila. We still have an MB addiction... Update on our lousy W220... another sensor bites the dust! May sensor pala yung GAS PEDAL nito, nagloko kaya ang bagal tumakbo... No prob ang engine... Why would a gas pedal have a sensor?!!!! Bill: 25k list price... (di ko na i-me-mention discounted price, kasi confidential special price daw yun e)

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pag 2nd hand vehicles, very problematic talaga mga electronics. you'll never know when it will give up on you. mahal pa naman electronic parts ng mga euro cars.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
which 2nd hand euro car is best to buy: bmw, mercedes or audi?