New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by soul987 View Post
    After reading the replies, I may just get a used car. So ill be narrowing down to the following.

1. Altis 2014(2.0) or 2017 1.6
    Which is better of the 2?
    2. Mazda 3 2014 2.0
    Is the maintenance not that costly especially that the battery is the the regular one from motollite
    3. Civic FB 2.0 or FC 1.8
    Which is more value for money between the two?
    4. Subaru Forester XT or 2.0
    Is the parts and maintenance not much of problem?
    If going for the Altis, get the 1.6L model as the 2.0L model has not much more to offer.

As there are a lot of SkyActiv Mazdas already on the streets, maintenance does not seem to be a big issue.

The Civic FC is a better car overall than the Civic FB. The FB was trying hard to be an Altis.

The Forester SJ (2013-2018) comes in either a 2.0L NA or 2.0L turbo engine (XT). Get the XT if possible as it is one very capable CUV. Maintenance cost is acceptable like any other CUV. Smaller parts can be sourced outside casa unless you’re looking for an engine or tranny or any other major part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
    Lagi naman yan ang naririnig ko. Sa opisina halos lahat naka-Toyota. From Fortuners down to Wigos. Official cars are Hiluxes, Revos, Corollas and Innovas. So boring. Wala pa yata kami 5 na naka-Kia, Honda, Nissan at Suzuki.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
    i used to nissan.
    and i confess, toyota parts are easier to source. many are cheaper than the other marques', too.

a car writer said, "toyota builds reliable but boring cars. if you want exciting cars, go to the showroom across the street".

so i suppose the question to TS is, "do you want a boringly reliable car, or do you want a ***ier, more exciting car?"

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Well in our office's case, all the cars are casa-serviced anyway so the much vaunted Toyota parts availability is moot.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by soul987 View Post
    After reading the replies, I may just get a used car. So ill be narrowing down to the following.

1. Altis 2014(2.0) or 2017 1.6
    Which is better of the 2?
    2. Mazda 3 2014 2.0
    Is the maintenance not that costly especially that the battery is the the regular one from motollite
    3. Civic FB 2.0 or FC 1.8
    Which is more value for money between the two?
    4. Subaru Forester XT or 2.0
    Is the parts and maintenance not much of problem?
    Will you be driving mostly in the city? How heavy is your right foot? How big of a priority is fuel efficiency? Do you have a target number? Say 7km/L? 8? 10?

Given your input and updated choices, I will be choosing between the Altis 1.6 and the FC Civic 1.8. Both are good looking, IMHO. Fuel consumption is not too far apart. Depends whether you want some extra gas mileage or some extra power.

I have no doubt the Mazda 3 is a wonderful car. But upon reading Carguide's long term test reviews, I am more inclined to believe that it is an excellent weekend car, but not necessarily the best "appliance" car.

With the Subaru, I suppose it would depend on how far you live from the nearest Subaru dealership and/or parts shop, both of which are rather scarce. However, you shouldn't feel the hassle as much if you live near them.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    sabi ng may ari ng talyer sa banawe na pinapagawan ko, mabili raw ang toyota (altis), dahil maraming piyesa at madali raw kumpunihin.

sales talk?
    or shop talk?
    Experience talk!

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlee View Post
    Experience talk!
    kayo rin po?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    *soul987 - if you want out right quickness and speed, the Forester XT is the quickest and fastest ride among your choices. It’s a tamed version of the WRX in CUV form. Fuel consumption within city routes though is just around 6-7 km/L. It drives like a big compact sedan but with the ground clearance of a PPV and extra cargo space for family road trips.

Last edited by Egan101; September 29th, 2018 at 10:18 PM.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlee View Post
    Experience talk!
    21 year old Toyota, kahit converted, kahit durog ang ilang aircon louvers, kahit napaltan na halos buong front suspension at brake system, walang kalawang sa body at pang ilalim, ang makina maaasahang tatakbo araw araw, at ang radiator hanggang ngayon hindi pa napapaltan!

9. Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Will you be driving mostly in the city? How heavy is your right foot? How big of a priority is fuel efficiency? Do you have a target number? Say 7km/L? 8? 10?

Given your input and updated choices, I will be choosing between the Altis 1.6 and the FC Civic 1.8. Both are good looking, IMHO. Fuel consumption is not too far apart. Depends whether you want some extra gas mileage or some extra power.

I have no doubt the Mazda 3 is a wonderful car. But upon reading Carguide's long term test reviews, I am more inclined to believe that it is an excellent weekend car, but not necessarily the best "appliance" car.

With the Subaru, I suppose it would depend on how far you live from the nearest Subaru dealership and/or parts shop, both of which are rather scarce. However, you shouldn't feel the hassle as much if you live near them.

I'm mostly using the car for city driving(home to office and vice versa) and weekend trip to my parents house (around 100km). I'll be using it daily since we have no coding in our area (Cebu). Will be planning to keep the car for more than 5 years so parts availability and maintenance cost would really matter.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    *soul987 - if you want out right quickness and speed, the Forester XT is the quickest and fastest ride among your choices. It’s a tamed version of the WRX in CUV form. Fuel consumption within city routes though is just around 6-7 km/L. It drives like a big compact sedan but with the ground clearance of a PPV and extra cargo space for family road trips.

I actually quite like the forester but my main concern is the Maintenance and Parts cost especially since I'm from Cebu and Parts may be scarce and more expensive as compared to the Altis/Civic

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast