New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    some writers before said that CVT does significantly save on fuel expenses, compared to the more traditional AT..
    is this fuel savings of CVT vs. AT, true in real-world experience?
    Compared to our older AT cars, CVT cars proved to be more fuel efficient. My Forester XT despite being bigger and more powerful is more fuel efficient than our old Accord. The ASX which is NA and nearly similar engine output as the Accord comes out more fuel efficient also.

Not sure though on smaller cars like the City or Vios. I guess for compacts like the Civic and Altis, the fuel savings with CVT could be significant knowing the newer compacts are almost as big as the midsize cars 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Yes. If you look at US EPA ratings of the exact same cars with the exact same engines, the CVT has on average 2-3 MPG improvement over the traditional torque converter AT.

Sample, 4th gen CRV:
    5AT - 23 mpg city / 30 highway
    CVT - 26 mpg city / 33 mpg highway

3 mpg is roughly 1.2 km/L

I understand that CVT is better vs the old 4 and 5ATs, but is this still true vs modern ATs with 8 or even 10 speeds? I feel like those offer a sufficient spread of gears to mostly negate CVT's advantage of infinitely variable ratio.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    I understand that CVT is better vs the old 4 and 5ATs, but is this still true vs modern ATs with 8 or even 10 speeds? I feel like those offer a sufficient spread of gears to mostly negate CVT's advantage of infinitely variable ratio.
    Yes but 8ATs and 10ATs are expensive, and huge. Won’t fit in most econoboxes, and will push up the price.

But you’ll see it common in more expensive cars, cheapest I think that has a 10AT is the Ranger/Everest, and that comes with transmission overheating issues.

Lexus/BMW/Merc all have at least 8ATs in their lineup.

8AT size:

CVT size:

The torque converter alone is almost as big as the entire CVT already.

Last edited by jut703; January 15th, 2022 at 07:56 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Good point. Sulit nga for econoboxes because the belt and those two pulleys do the same job as the multiple gears in a standard AT, manual or DSG box.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Kaya pala the avanza is getting all the indonesian press attention. Toyota ID wants to reassure the millions of indonesian Avanza owners it won't have issues with their CVT.

old avanza 13.1KML
    New avanza 15.1km -- This is a pretty good jump.

6. Join Date
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Yes but 8ATs and 10ATs are expensive, and huge. Won’t fit in most econoboxes, and will push up the price.

But you’ll see it common in more expensive cars, cheapest I think that has a 10AT is the Ranger/Everest, and that comes with transmission overheating issues.

Lexus/BMW/Merc all have at least 8ATs in their lineup.

8AT size:

CVT size:

The torque converter alone is almost as big as the entire CVT already.

Given the size of those multi-gear transmissions, explains why they're mostly seen on RWD layouts, there's space behind the engine to place the housing.

I've disliked the CVTs of before, but given almost all jap FWD cars today are on CVT besides Mazda and the CR-V Diesel, there's no escaping the trend. They've proven to be reliable in the decade or so. Only enthusiasts nowadays hate them lol. I actually haven't read any recent CVT issues from Toyota/Mitsubishi/Honda, only the Nissan Jatco CVT from USA.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    There are stil a lot of IDSI Jazz/City with CVT on the road. They are almost 20 years old. With the newer cars with CVT, I guess they will hold up that long if properly taken cared of.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    There are stil a lot of IDSI Jazz/City with CVT on the road. They are almost 20 years old. With the newer cars with CVT, I guess they will hold up that long if properly taken cared of.

Even the lancer cedias with cvts when they introduced around the same years with the IDSI city/jazz that came out around 2002-04.

These CVT equipped lancers are still plying down the roads to this day.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thearsenal1205 View Post
    Even the lancer cedias with cvts when they introduced around the same years with the IDSI city/jazz that came out around 2002-04.

These CVT equipped lancers are still plying down the roads to this day.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    i used to have a 2003 cedia MX with CVT.
    the trans was headache-free, naman.
    but i thought, as did others back then, that it sapped the engine output to the wheels.
    my fuel in-efficiency was 5.5 - 6 km/li in the city, back when city traffic was better.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakwatsero View Post
    Given the size of those multi-gear transmissions, explains why they're mostly seen on RWD layouts, there's space behind the engine to place the housing.

I've disliked the CVTs of before, but given almost all jap FWD cars today are on CVT besides Mazda and the CR-V Diesel, there's no escaping the trend. They've proven to be reliable in the decade or so. Only enthusiasts nowadays hate them lol. I actually haven't read any recent CVT issues from Toyota/Mitsubishi/Honda, only the Nissan Jatco CVT from USA.
    im not too familiar pero noon nga i heard na ang cvt ng nissan have had their fair share of problems but that was almost a decade ago. hanggang ngayon ba problematic pa din ang jatco cvts?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast