New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boy astig View Post
    The fortuner would have been ok except for that rip off of a rear brake (drums ) !!! I believe they're the only ones in that category that still use drum brakes for the rear.

Well to each his own... If you can find in Australia a conversion kit for that, so much the better.

But for now, my vote goes to the Mu-X

What is your issue with rear brake drums? The Fortuner is a SUV not a race car. Been driving cars and SUV's with drums or discs on their rear brakes but don't find any much difference in braking power with regular & spirited driving. Their only main difference is on their maintainance and the "wow factor" of the rear disc brakes if you shod your SUV with bigger mag and tires that exposes said rear brakes...

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LN106G View Post
    What is your issue with rear brake drums? The Fortuner is a SUV not a race car. Been driving cars and SUV's with drums or discs on their rear brakes but don't find any much difference in braking power with regular & spirited driving. Their only main difference is on their maintainance and the "wow factor" of the rear disc brakes if you shod your SUV with bigger mag and tires that exposes said rear brakes...
    i think he was making a point about the Fort being a rip-off given that drum brakes are relatively cheaper than disc brakes to produce, and yet it doesn't reflect on the Fort's price.

there's no doubt that disc brakes are better than drum brakes in terms of performance. while drum brakes at the rear is adequate enough in stopping our SUVs, wouldn't we wish that the Fort also have rear disc brakes given that everyone else in the competition is using them? it's not purely for "porma" reasons but it gives extra safety margin when braking.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifan View Post
    i think he was making a point about the Fort being a rip-off given that drum brakes are relatively cheaper than disc brakes to produce, and yet it doesn't reflect on the Fort's price.

there's no doubt that disc brakes are better than drum brakes in terms of performance. while drum brakes at the rear is adequate enough in stopping our SUVs, wouldn't we wish that the Fort also have rear disc brakes given that everyone else in the competition is using them? it's not purely for "porma" reasons but it gives extra safety margin when braking.
    sorry if off topic ito: speaking of rear drum brakes: why is it yung higher end Honda City and Honda Jazz variants (VX and VX+) also has rear drum brakes? down grade ba siya from the previous models? or is it because of cost cutting measures to keep the prices competitive?

(previous gen City E have rear disc brakes; all variants of previous gen Jazz have rear disc brakes as well)

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    ^Cost cutting probably? Their prices are high enough as it is. But then the motoring journalists swear that the braking performance is no poorer.

Between the two, I'd go for the MUX. Resale value should be no less than the Fortuner's considering the high resale value of the Alterra's in the 2nd hand market. The 4JJ1 is a veteran engine. Kinks are already ironed out at this point and mechanics are very familiar with it. Parts should not be a problem, even more so since it shares many of them with the Trailblazer. Then there is the fact that the 4JJ1 is in a very low state of tune... Very simple mods would yield tremendous power gains...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LN106G View Post
    I intend to use it for long drives to the province. And I put a premium on safety. Yes I am aware that the Fort isnt a race car. Im too old to focus on the "wow" factor of the rear disc brake even if I slap on bigger mags and tires.

Its the "wow" factor of having them on a vehicle priced that high when all others in their segment have them as standard is what caught my attention.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifan View Post

This goes with the assumption that drums have better braking power than discs. Not necessarily, especially for the rear.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I intend to use it for long drives to the province. And I put a premium on safety. Yes I am aware that the Fort isnt a race car. Im too old to focus on the "wow" factor of the rear disc brake even if I slap on bigger mags and tires.

Its the "wow" factor of having them on a vehicle priced that high when all others in their segment have them as standard is what caught my attention.
    Yes Toyota could've put discs, like all other SUVs in its price range. But they didn't. Boo-hoo.

At the end of the day, the Fortuner doesn't have inferior braking compared to other all-disc PPVs. It isn't less safe to drive to the province. Heck, I've been driving a car with rear drum brakes for thousands of kilometers of provincial driving with several hard braking situations and it definitely brakes better than my other car that has 4-wheel discs.

The point is, whether the Fortuner has discs or drums at the rear, it brakes as good as its competitors. Isn't that what we're after? Or do we prefer to be specsheet fanatics who fuss over what's on paper more than real-world usefulness?

You want to know which car is safer for provincial trips? Take your options for a test drive and try hard braking and sudden flicks of the steering wheel at a fairly quick pace, as you would in an emergency situation. That's where you'll see which car actually lends confidence when driving. Unless of course you prefer to source your confidence from paper specs. Which is fine too; your car, your life.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    to add fire for the forts rear drums

i had to have mine cleaned the after passing thru floodover sa c5 pasig it started squeaking afterwards turns out some road grime got into it

a million+ buck vehicle should not have drums

9. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    We have rear drum brakes in one of our cars and its a hassle to need to have it cleaned after even minor flood fording. Otherwise the brake performance is decent. Rear drum are fine in economy cars but not in medium to large SUVs.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    I intend to use it for long drives to the province. And I put a premium on safety

Safety during highway driving? Get a vehicle with lower center of gravity.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast