New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Wala akong complain sa econo car with rear drum brakes. However, for an SUV this expensive?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    The Fortuner is the second most expensive locally available car with rear drum brakes (the most expensive is the Hiace Grandia LXV but noone's bashing that one). It's a pity, yes. But in the grand scheme of things, is it a dealbreaker?

Save for the handful of people whining online about the drum brakes of the Fortuner, most buyers won't even care. Even if Toyota puts 4-wheel discs, sales of the Fortuner won't exponentially increase.

More people care about a car's looks, its reliability, its ride quality, its comfort, its engine, its resale value, than whether it has discs or drums at the rear.

I'm not saying drums are better than discs, of course not. As has been pointed out, drums are harder to clean. They are also more prone to brake fade, though rear brakes rarely fade even in downhill driving with a full load because much of the braking still falls to the front discs. But for the most part, rear drums do their main job of stopping a car as well as rear discs would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Parang siomai. May 5 pesos siomai. May 50 pesos siomai. Pareho laman tiyan. Pareho nakakabusog.

Nakakainis lang Toyota is selling us 5 pesos siomai at 50 pesos. Tubong lugaw, so obvious.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom View Post
    Parang siomai. May 5 pesos siomai. May 50 pesos siomai. Pareho laman tiyan. Pareho nakakabusog.

Nakakainis lang Toyota is selling us 5 pesos siomai at 50 pesos. Tubong lugaw, so obvious.
    Pwede namang hindi bumili. Kaso, best seller eh. Ibig sabihin karamihan ng tao may nakikitang iba dun sa 50-peso siomai na mas importante sa kanila kaysa kung pork o beef ba yung loob ng siomai.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Having driven both a 2012 IPV (disc/drum) and a 2011 Carnival (disc/disc w/ABS), I have to say that the IPV brakes better despite the fact that the Carnival had new brake pads on all fours and new tires too. Somehow the Carnival was just too heavy for the brakes to more confidently stop the car. I have to say that the IPV (or probably D-Max in extension) is the best braking disc/drum car without ABS that I've driven so far.

The only thing I hate about drums is the servicing. Takes a lot of time and ear-splitting hammering to open it up, and longer still to service the shoes and springs inside.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Mas ok ang drum brakes!
    Pero kung ginawang all disk brakes ang Fort gaya sa Australia.
    Mas ok ang disk brakes!
    wag na makipagtalo alam naman na kasi eh.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vensong Quezon View Post
    Mas ok ang drum brakes!
    Mas ok ang disk brakes!
    Toyota for life!

*PATSYS If you have money to burn the go for the fortuner but I highly recommend that hold your purchase until they have resolved the issue with their AT. That is if you're getting one that comes with AT.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vensong Quezon View Post
    Mas ok ang drum brakes!
    Mas ok ang disk brakes!
    Who's saying that drums are better?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    We have a forester with rear drums and an expedition with 4 wheel discs. Guess what stops better?

I just think drum brakes are a bit crude and cheap today. Just like not having rear parking sensors in basic models....... Oh wait

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom View Post

I was selling same rice sa market with different price tag, what is funny is the one with higher price sells more.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast