New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by d_mac View Post
    Chief, we're not arguing naman po in reality, we're just discussing on things like this, which i personally only think it's also for the betterment of those who really want to know more about the TBz 2.8 Duramax over the others....

As to the discussion on speed and power, we may go back to our high school Physics. And for simplicity's sake, say in general vector form nalang:

Power = force x velocity
    Force = mass x acceleration

Therefore:
    Power = mass x acceleration x velocity

Granting:
    Power = watts
    Mass = kilogram
    Acceleration = metre/sec2
    Velocity = metre/sec

In the case of the TBz 2.8 Duramax:

watts = kgweight x m2/sec3

To get how many seconds the TBz will cover say a 1/4 mile (400 metres) at different rev-range, say 2000 rpm, 2800 rpm, 3800 rpm

sec = [(kgweight x m2)/watts]1/3

Power in watts at an assigned rev-range as exampled above can be derived from brake-hp, where bhp = (lbforce-ft x rpm)/5252

And rpm, kilometre per hour, and the gear you're at can be had from calculating the engine-rev with the gearing ratios and tire specs, which gives an estimate on the following as a summary on the TBz 2.8:

For simplicity's sake, assuming a linear relationship of torque vs. rpm, estimates are:

Doing the same procedure on say the Forester 2.5XT and CX-9 3.8 V6, we can surely make a comparison at 2000 rpm, 2800 rpm, 3800 rpm, 4250 rpm granting that the auto-trannies are to shift up at these rev points. With the manual-tranny no doubt we can short-shift and rev up to the redline at any one-time we want to. There is no doubt of course chief if these gasoline-fed CX-9's and Forester 2.5XT are to rev-out anywhere between 5000 rpm and up, and the TBz only able to rev-out between 3800 to 4250 rpm, arguably, they would eat the TBz at any point in the gears....

You may provide me the gross vehicle weight, peak power, peak torque, gear ratios and tyre specs of the CX-9 to have the same type of estimate and we can then compare, chief.

The gross vehicle weight by the way of the TBz 2.8 Duramax 4x4 is 2750 kilograms.

There might be some wrong values specifically on the conversion from English to metric system, or even perhaps, the whole analogy itself ---- just bear with me chief.

Cheers!

Nice try but I think need more effort and new years mastering your extra curricular activities.

What is your initial kph?

If zero, you only covered 200m

If your initial kph is the same as final, you are not accelerating so you are not using your 180hp of power * 3800rpm.

To know the power that you need at certain rpm/vehicle speed, you need to know the rolling resistance of the tire and the drag coefficient of the trailblazer. Kindly search for it and I would like to help.

Once the vehicle is at speed, what needed is the power to overcome the rolling resistance and the wind.

This is the main reason why hybrid is the future. You need high power engine to launch/race the vehicle from stand still and a smaller electric motor to maintain the cruising speed. Just enough to overcome the resistance.

Happy New Year!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Congratulations to present owners and new owners of brand new CX9 and Trailblazer. Both great cars!!!

Happy New Year to all! Let's keep Tsikot as informative and as helpful to all as possible.

3. Join Date
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ano727 View Post
    The best sana if they can put SkyActive sa coming CX9. To improve FC further.
    sir ano727 msta na po fc ng cx9 nyo?

4. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmac22 View Post
    sir ano727 msta na po fc ng cx9 nyo?
    Cumulative from the time I bought to present day - computer shows around 5.5km/liter. This is 95% city and 5% highway (very seldom I get to run hiways). Home and work is from one CBD to another, so everyday bumper to bumper stop-and-go traffic. The figure is about the same as my manual calculation.

Also note that I drive spiritedly, I like the sound of CX9 revving high, which means I'm stepping too much on the gas. A lighter foot would easily give 6 or better. If you live outside CBD, even better FC efficiency figures.

5. Join Date
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ano727 View Post
    Cumulative from the time I bought to present day - computer shows around 5.5km/liter. This is 95% city and 5% highway (very seldom I get to run hiways). Home and work is from one CBD to another, so everyday bumper to bumper stop-and-go traffic. The figure is about the same as my manual calculation.

Also note that I drive spiritedly, I like the sound of CX9 revving high, which means I'm stepping too much on the gas. A lighter foot would easily give 6 or better. If you live outside CBD, even better FC efficiency figures.

Thanks sir...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
2013 Trailblazer 4x4 AT vs 2012 Mazda CX9 4x2 AT -amazingly similar cost of ownership