New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Hi guys! Newbie poster here and needs your help.

Yan po ang pagpipilian ko for my next car, the Lancer GT-A or the GC Entry. I suppose I'm going for the sporty look as well as the exclusivity, but it'll also be my everyday car (going to and from the office, etc.). I haven't test-driven both of them yet, pero baka meron dito na may experience na with either (or both!) of these cars and I'd like to hear those experiences.

I was supposed to get the GC Entry in yellow, pero biglang hindi na pala sila gumagawa ng GC in that color (yeah, big disappointment for me). And then I saw this Lancer Ralliart and it looked good, and soon after learned that the GT-A has an almost similar exterior. That made me slightly confused so I created this thread. Hehehe...

So far, those are the two cars that are within my budget, so which one to pick?

Also, if you have any other suggestions, let me know.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by JMacalinao View Post
    Hi guys! Newbie poster here and needs your help.

Yan po ang pagpipilian ko for my next car, the Lancer GT-A or the GC Entry. I suppose I'm going for the sporty look as well as the exclusivity, but it'll also be my everyday car (going to and from the office, etc.). I haven't test-driven both of them yet, pero baka meron dito na may experience na with either (or both!) of these cars and I'd like to hear those experiences.

I was supposed to get the GC Entry in yellow, pero biglang hindi na pala sila gumagawa ng GC in that color (yeah, big disappointment for me). And then I saw this Lancer Ralliart and it looked good, and soon after learned that the GT-A has an almost similar exterior. That made me slightly confused so I created this thread. Hehehe...

So far, those are the two cars that are within my budget, so which one to pick?

Also, if you have any other suggestions, let me know.

I have already driven both above mentioned cars. If you want something that have the looks and yet practical for everyday use, the Lancer EX GTA is the choice.

The Genesis Coupe 2.0T is the faster car and more fun to drive if you have the open road to do it. Assuming you don't have a family yet, this car can be used everyday too BUT the fuel consumption will be an issue as fuel prices continue to inch upward. Driving this car can be an issue with the car's dimensions. Not a problem on the wide open road but in the tight congested streets, it might feel like a tight fit between cars. Also reversing can be a bit difficult.

The Lancer EX GTA is not as powerful but still is powerful enough to be fun. The factory suspension and wheels offer great grip in the corners yet still comfortable on the rough stuff on the road. Paddle shifters and the "tiptronic style" shifter offer quick shifts up & down the six gears to make best use of the rev range of the torquey engine. Current Lancer EX models seems to have 2DIN touch screen headunits with GPS (previously not available in the Lancer EX). Long distance driving is made easy with the factory installed cruise control functions.

Converting the Lancer EX GTA to the ralliart look is as simple as replacing the hood with the one from a ralliart.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Yung Genesis Coupe, ok siya for a 2nd car. Not advisable for an everyday vehicle. Hindi siya yung tipong kotse na pwede mo iakyat at dalhin sa kung saan. For one, masyado siyang malapad. Second, meron siyang ramps na hindi naaakyat, lalo na yung spiral ramps. More often than not, nag-three wheel parati ang mga GC.

Malakas din pala siya sa gas. Isa pa, since MT yan yung clutch matigas. Hindi mo siya gugustuhin lalo na kapag naipit ka sa traffic.

Pwede siya kung weekend car. Yung tipong dadalhin mo sa tagaytay for a morning rush or lunch.

Practical yung GTA. Madali ang ingress and engress at you can bring it to any place you want -- obviously, may limitations rin but you get my point. Seats more .. comfortably. Basically, it's a vehicle that has almost everything. Space, power, looks, good entertainment system (Rockford Fosgate), practicality & commendable FC.

On open roads, it can easily bring you to 200kph. Probably even more. Chip it, fun. Complete the IHE, more fun. Improve the stability, twisties here I go.

Unless you're getting the 3.8V6 A/T Genesis Coupe - which offers you a different kind of joy than the 2.0 liters - then stick with the EX.

If you want something MORE practical but still gives you FUN. Then take a look at the Ford Focus TDCi. Incredible power & economy.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    +1 on the Focus TDCi. The level of performance combined with the level of fuel consumption it gives cannot be found anywhere else in the Philippine market. The handling of the Focus is excellent and if you chip it, change the filter and exhaust, slap on a big volume intercooler... I believe it would be an even more of a joy to drive than both the Lancer EX and the GC especially with that slow-moving fuel gauge needle.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    I was in the same situation almost a year ago if I'm not mistaken.

I own a GC 2.0T and its my daily driver. I've driven a lancer EX-MX, though not the GTA, I believe many things are similar except for the wheels, which will of course significantly improve handling in favour of the GTA. Most say that the clutch of the GC is tough which I do not agree with but I walk up and down hills for a living so YMMV.

*renzo is correct in saying that you have to watch your approach in inclines. I was surprised when I first experience this phenomenon coming in from ADB avenue to the podium parking but had already learned from that so I now take a larger turn. I usually plan my routes to avoid traffic, and rarely go to Manila (where tight streets are aplenty) so I have not encountered any of what was previously mentioned.

Wide? You'll only feel it the first time but it grows on you after some time and wouldn't notice at all unless you alternate it quite frequently with other vehicles. The GTA is also a bit wide and long (though not as wide as the GC) and I'll take GH's word for his experience on the lancer as he used to own an EX.

Fun to drive? Of course it is! Was surprised when I first tackled a turn at speed as I was expecting it to understeer given that I have only driven FWD toyotas before. Took it to the twisty roads on the way to Las Casas in Bataan and it felt really alive. Haven't taken the EX on a long drive but I can tell you that it has a very very very smooth transmission (CVT).

So would I choose a GC over a GTA? depends on your needs. IF you want a looker, its really hard not to do a second take on a coupe, and its also quite rare on the road, even the mini is more common than the GC. I chose the GC because i dreamed of owning a rear wheel drive coupe when I was kid and I wanted to fulfill it. Scratched it off the bucket list then I got married... So after 7-8 months my wife finds it challenging to drive the GC, she thinks its too big for her so she'd rather leave it at home and commute. Now I'm thinking of selling it and subsequently replacing it with a subcompact (I like the Subbie xv too but I'd want the wifey to test drive it first).

As for the focus TDCI? When I first drove it, I had to ask myself if the car had shock absorbers. Its that firm, especially when i passed the rumble strips! But to those who have taken this car in winding roads, they loved it! I guess I didn't really gave the focus a chance. I also found it hard to get the best driving position so I took it out of my shortlist early in the selection process.

Lesson learned -- if you are staying single for at least 3 more years, get one. If you're not. get the GTA.

BTW, if you want to test drive the GC, your best bet would be at the MIAS. Otherwise you'll have to write to HARI for a test drive or search for the dealership where the test drive unit is.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

Here's the status as of now: I have told my parents about the GT-A (since they have the last say because even though I already have work, I still need their assistance, and well, they do want me to get a great car). My dad doesn't like the exterior, says it looks like a shark's mouth or something, and it looks like an ordinary car (although I beg to differ). My mom thinks it's okay, but she's not completely sold. Our first choice really is the Genesis because it really is a looker, but I'm now having doubts on whether I would like to drive it everyday. I really don't want either me or my parents to have a lackluster experience on this next car.

The wideness of the Genesis probably won't be an issue for me, if it's as wide as a van. I currently use the family van (a Hi-Ace) as my daily driver. I can probably forgive the clutch, since I've driven cars with probably worse clutches. But Renzo's comment about not being able to go up a spiral ramp caught me off guard, because I always park in a parking garage where there is one.

The other issue I have with the Genesis is the availability - it's pretty hard to get one now, because HARI doesn't order units from Korea anymore. And they're also saying that the next time they'll order is on October, when they release the new models, which I find odd.

As for the GT-A, I find it okay. Doesn't look as great as the Genesis, but the looks are there. It's the features that I find great - the CVT, paddle shifters, Rockford audio (the one in the Pajero sounded reeeal nice, I hope it's the same here), and as Ghosthunter has said, a touchscreen and cruise control. It's almost fully loaded compared to the Genesis (since it's the entry model)... The only thing I find missing is the parking sensors, which isn't a dealbreaker.

For the Focus... They hate it when they looked at it. Scratched it off completely. It's sad, because I've seen rave reviews about it, and it doesn't look bad at all. Fuel consumption may be great in this car, but it isn't an issue at the moment, since I should already expect it in getting a "sports" car.

If you guys know any other cars that I should consider, please let me know. Thanks again guys! Really appreaciate it!

And... will I be single in the next 3 years? I don't know, but I do have a girlfriend, so... Hehehe...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    ^ FYI, the new order in october is probably when the updated 2013 Genesis Coupes come out.

+70hp on the 2.0T

8. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    ^ FYI, the new order in october is probably when the updated 2013 Genesis Coupes come out.

+70hp on the 2.0T
    Yeah... And if my desired unit's not already available by then, I'd have to wait for 2-3 months more... December 2012 or January 2013. I don't know if the new model is gonna be worth the wait (if I do wait for it).

9. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    I don't think you should be discouraged with the spirals mate. I've never had any issues going up spirals on the way to parking lots. The spiral in our Makati office is very steep and its alright. Never had any issues with uphill spirals such as those in SM North and annex, SM megamall, Robinsons Manila, etc.

The hi-ace is nowhere near as wide as the GC but you'll get used to it.

Fuel consumption? -- mine is 7-8 km/l city driving. I do however make it a point to avoid rush hour traffic if I can. Not really different than any other 2.0 equipped car. The tuscon does worse.

What I really liked about the GTA is the transmission...

Sounds like I'm pitching the GC but I'm doing it only because your wants clearly point to it.

Head turner -- check (the lancer is also a head turner but let's face it, the GC will turn more heads)
    Fun to drive -- check
    Fuel economy -- either, depends on how you drive.

practicality -- if you have friends frequently with you -- Lancer
    maintenance -- GC just about the same if not slightly higher than vios; lancer -- ??

pogi points -- pogi mo sa boys... hehehe! More men appreciate cars than women, you get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by JMacalinao View Post
    Yeah... And if my desired unit's not already available by then, I'd have to wait for 2-3 months more... December 2012 or January 2013. I don't know if the new model is gonna be worth the wait (if I do wait for it).

10. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    If I do opt for the GC, here's the next question: Should I wait for 7-10 months for the 2013 model or already get the current one while it's still available? (Our second color of choice is red, and I guess that's still available... somewhere.) Such a hard time to be a potential GC owner. Hehehe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0 Entry or 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer GT-A?