New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterx View Post
    ok lang sana mag tax ng malaki basta na pupunta sa tama, hindi binubulsa. kahit madami maka bili ng kotse dahil mababa ang tax and price ng mga kotse ok lang, nag papa traffic lang naman sa atin is PUV not private cars. more private cars = less PUV's = safer roads. then the tax we pay for should be used for road widening so less traffic and add traffic enforcers that actually enforce the law properly.
    Kawawa naman yung mga magagandang dalagang Pilipina na nag cocommute pag ganun. Lalo na sa panahon ng tag-ulan.

Seriously, a decent job here cant afford to buy a sub-compact new car. Immagine 20K a month salary mo, pano ka kaya mag hulog sa amort. ng auto nun?

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    ok lang sana mag tax ng malaki basta na pupunta sa tama, hindi binubulsa. kahit madami maka bili ng kotse dahil mababa ang tax and price ng mga kotse ok lang, nag papa traffic lang naman sa atin is PUV not private cars. more private cars = less PUV's = safer roads. then the tax we pay for should be used for road widening so less traffic and add traffic enforcers that actually enforce the law properly.
    what can we do? most of our gov officials are corrupt, even we are corrupt hehe.. and how do we widen our roads? halos ang bahay dito dikit dikit na. pati nga sa ilalim ng tulay may bahay hehe.. dapat mag higpit ang lto sa mga passenger jeep driver para matuto sila ng tamang pag mamaneho. and pati pasaheros dapat turuan kung saan dapat sumakay. kahit sa gitna kase ng kalsada pumapara.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sachiel View Post
    Higher taxing of big vehicles isn't really called an incentive, more of like a penalty. What i mean is that government should promote fuel efficient cars by giving incentives whether through subsidies or tax cuts or any other means. The reason why companies don't make hybrid here is that there is no government support. It's cheaper to produce it elsewhere so there is no competitive advantage in our country.
    Oh, but it is.

What better tax incentive than paying less tax on a cheaper car with a smaller engine?

Hybrids are not popular in Europe. Know why? Because Europe has high gas taxes. That's why citizens of richer European nations, despite being about as wealthy as Americans, drive cars with smaller engines and better fuel economy. Europe's carbon footprint is better than America's.

Hybrids are popular in Japan because they subsidize them. They subsidize them because they build them there. Japan's carbon footprint is good, but only because they give tax breaks to Kei cars and encourage people to scrap their old cars.

Hybrids are popular in the US because of subsidy. If there was no subsidy, people wouldn't give two farts. Look at sales of vehicles there now... small and fuel efficient cars like the Honda Jazz/Fit are losing ground in terms of sales to bigger cars, as gasoline stays cheap and the US economy crumbles. Hybrid sales are strong because they appeal to older buyers with more money. Even with hybrids, electrics, CNG, LPG, E85 and various other alternative fuel vehicles, America's carbon footprint (per person) is gimungous.

-----

Hybrids are not a "magic bullet" that will save the world's oil supply and cure global warming. They're expensive toys for rich people to feel better about themselves because they're using less gasoline. In truth, if they want to use less... they should just buy cheaper, smaller cars.

There is a government tax break on hybrids. Zero taxes on hybrid components brought in to produce hybrids in the Philippines. Toyota still won't do it. Because they only sell a handful of Priuses every year... it's not worth it.

-----

Sure, the Prius can get you around 18 km/l in mixed traffic, which is better than the 12 km/l or so you can get out of a Powershift Focus TDCi, but even with full tax breaks, it'd cost nearly 500,000 pesos more. Which is worth over 150,000 kilometers worth of fuel for the Focus.

To ROI with the Prius against the TDCi (let me recalculate, my old calcuations are out of date), you'd have to drive it nearly 800,000 kilometers. (and spend 1.8 million pesos on gasoline in the Prius)

To ROI against... hmmm... a Suzuki Alto? Almost never. The Alto can get 15 km/l in traffic. You have to drive 2.6 million kilometers to ROI. (Maybe a little less, the Prius is gentle on brakes... but then, replacement pads for the Alto cost almost nothing... oh... that's 6 million pesos worth of gasoline in the Prius)...

And this is based on a conservative tax-break price. Toyota figures they could sell for 1.8m with breaks, I pegged it at just 1.65m. That's based on an estimate given the selling price of the Subaru WRX, which gets ASEAN tax breaks and costs just 50-100k pesos more in the US than the Prius.

-----

And if they give tax breaks to Prius owners? I don't want my taxes subsidizing someone who makes four to five times as much as me in terms of salary... do you? Those guys can afford gas! Why not give the subsidy to public transport for the poor? (which they already do). That will help the pretty office girls get to work on time... and dry.

Again: Prius=Rich person's car. Not gonna help us reduce the Philippine's oil consumption. Motorcycles which get over 40 km/l? They will. And thanks to high taxes and expensive gas, lots of people are riding motorcycles instead of buying old, dilapidated, fuel-hungry cars. ;)
    Last edited by niky; June 18th, 2010 at 05:13 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Well it really depends on the cost of the car if the extra mileage is worth it or not. So i guess all of us have to make do with the current mileage of the available cars here. But if the traffic in Metro Manila is a big factor in FC, then I guess no amount of fuel efficient car can do anything about it.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sachiel View Post
    Well it really depends on the cost of the car if the extra mileage is worth it or not. So i guess all of us have to make do with the current mileage of the available cars here. But if the traffic in Metro Manila is a big factor in FC, then I guess no amount of fuel efficient car can do anything about it.
    In other words... mag-MRT na tayong lahat.

When I stayed in the metro, I would sometimes use the MRT if my destination was on the train route. Much faster than the bus, much more relaxing than driving. Right now, stuck in driving mode, because we have a little kid, but I commute whenever I can. Sometimes, I even walk if the distance is just a kilometer or two.
    Last edited by niky; June 18th, 2010 at 06:55 PM.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    *gambit: i didn't say remove all puv's i just want them to be lessened and dapat organized ang pag labas nila hindi sabay sabay. also let's add subway's and more mrt/lrt, just like in japan.

*guy: we only need to widen the main roads, like edsa, erod, aurora, c-5, katipunan then develop the country side. side streets no need to since i doubt mag karon ng traffic don.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    *gambit: i didn't say remove all puv's i just want them to be lessened and dapat organized ang pag labas nila hindi sabay sabay. also let's add subway's and more mrt/lrt, just like in japan.

*guy: we only need to widen the main roads, like edsa, erod, aurora, c-5, katipunan then develop the country side. side streets no need to since i doubt mag karon ng traffic don.
    Plus one to everything you said bro...

People can't buy them overpriced cars, so give 'em more trains. And no more buses and PUJ's aka deathtraps and goons, please.

And 'coz we can't stop our runaway population growth, might as well develop barren countryside for industry and housing. Crops don't grow there, anyway.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually... it's better to encourage provincial development and spread the population out than to spend increasing amounts of money creating ultra-wide roads (that are impractical) inside the metro.

Stuff like the C5 and C6 projects are more useful than any widening or modernization on EDSA. Create alternate routes that open up new opportunities for roadside commerce rather than keep enlarging existing routes (and having a highway beside your door is not always good for business... when roads are upgraded to six-lane, center-divided highways... businesses beside it suffer a loss of business because customers can't reach them easily (No Left Turn, No U-Turn, no Jaywalking, etcetera...) Just look at what happened to the businesses along EDSA and to the Magallanes commercial center in the past...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    the trend will never go back to people going back to cheaper smaller cars. why? bec. people themselves are getting larger. kaka-starbucks kaka-overeat kain dito kain duon. natural ang tendency is to buy bigger cars bec. most people are overweight.

kaya nga mahal ang branded clothes eh kasi overweight people are so many in the world and so they buy branded clothing to make them feel good and look good about themselves. it's an illusion really.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
2010 Most Overpriced Cars