New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You make a good point Doc_GM. BMW, pero slightly used Hehehe! There's no discounting the prestige of one with a propeller badge, as BlueBimmer said, especially in a "Sea of Toyotas". But then, swimming in that "sea" isn't that bad if you don't wanna stand out much.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Just tell the guy beside you at the stoplight: "I've got a Beemer, I've got a Beemer, nyah nyah na-nah-nah..."

Depends where you're doing the shaking... downhill from Tagaytay... I'll place my bets on the BMW, but I'd bet the Civic could win on the straights.

Of course, I'd be waiting for them at the bottom, sipping a Coke at the gas station... slowpokes...

It's not the power, mind you (hey, if that was all that mattered, we'd all be driving engine-swapped hatchbacks with their front chins dug into the ground... ), but handling matters, too. That's about the only justification for the Miata's pathetic engine hardware. Bigger engines would upset the little car's great balance.

----

RE: Just another Camry in a sea of Toyotas? Hmmmmm.... might happen. But then, you don't buy a Toyota to impress your friends, anyway.
    ay mali. dapat pala sinabi ko 2.0 ford lynx rs. hahaha. :lol:

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Ang gugulo niyo! nyahahaha

tama si mikmik, paano kung Lexus badge ang nakalagay sa camry ano pipiliin niyo?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Those badge issues are plain stereotypical. If it's a Jap, it's not prestigious. If it's Euro, it's great. It's not always true. I've driven an A4 and an Altis and there was no significant difference in them as far as driving experience is concerned. The Audi turned out to be a sheer looker inside and out. The ride was hard, steering feel artificial despite being weighted, and overall involvement isn't at all impressive.

But the BMW is a completely different story. It was an E36 316i. Only 8 valves and over 3,000 pounds, I used to play down on that car. But having decided to test it, I began to eat my words. While it's true that your bread-and-butter Corolla 1.6, lighter and twice as many valves, will smoke it on the straights, the BMW was really great fun. The steering feels very natural, ride a good compromise of composure and comfort, very stable in high speeds (140 felt like 80). I was sad to see it go once my friend sold it for a more spacious Volvo (another sucker in driving fun). Overall, it's a perfect car with at least twice the power.

I haven't tried the new Camry but the older model I've tested was very spacious inside even at the back. However, the steering is feather-light and felt disconnected - made for wives.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by squala View Post
    Those badge issues are plain stereotypical. If it's a Jap, it's not prestigious. If it's Euro, it's great. It's not always true. I've driven an A4 and an Altis and there was no significant difference in them as far as driving experience is concerned. The Audi turned out to be a sheer looker inside and out. The ride was hard, steering feel artificial despite being weighted, and overall involvement isn't at all impressive.
    i respect your opinion, but the statement that you couldn't tell a significant difference between an A4 and an Altis/Corolla makes me :shocked:

Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    You make a good point Doc_GM. BMW, pero slightly used Hehehe! There's no discounting the prestige of one with a propeller badge, as BlueBimmer said, especially in a "Sea of Toyotas". But then, swimming in that "sea" isn't that bad if you don't wanna stand out much.
    very true about the depreciation, and in your (the Philippines) case, the taxes. i bought my two european cars brand new, and the depreciation you see after the first year makes you want to :cry2: it's like taking half a million or so of your hard earned pesos and making yourself a nice warm fire out of it :seeth:

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Hmmm, so Doc GM's statements makes a lot of sense then.
    Last edited by Horsepower; November 9th, 2006 at 01:03 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    interesting read...imo, the beemer still gets the wow factor anytime.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chickeness View Post
    Camry and BMW? Come on. If someone will give you lets say 2.5 million pesos,
    and you have 2 car OPTIONS to choose? what will it be?

BMW 3. No doubt!!!!!!!

CAMRY - NORMAL/ORDINARY
    BMW - ELITE/SPECIAL , YUMMY!

PS. and camry has this Cheap plastic interiour look.
    that only applies to the people who care more about the badge and not the "bang-for-the-buck" factor. these kinds of people tend to be more snobbish and have a "look at me i drive a benz/bimmer/lexus!!" attitude. i have encountered a lot of asians who possess such attitudes. and for two million pesos, you can only buy the entry level bimmer (with not much options) here in the states. tell me what is so yummy, elite, and special about that? or just so you can say you drive a bimmer?

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rab View Post
    I can't seem to justify spending P2.0M+ on a 2.0L BMW that'll have a hard time shaking off a honda civic 2.0.
    but for the people that want to be able to scream they drive a bimmer and feel the need to be in the "elite" community (whatever the heck it means), then its justified.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chickeness View Post
    Sigh: Let me see if I understand this generally and I shall say it very crudely

Just because u test drive a new camry doesnt mean its already luxury OR relaxing.
    and its ur own opinion. ""In your BOOK""

1st. Its NEW, any car that is new feels relaxing.
    Try driving a old f*** up car and see if it is relaxing
    2nd, u must try both benz and camry and see how big is there gAP in terms of relaxing/comfort.
    3rd. maybe in ur life, u drive a jeep, owner, corola or a ford, u probably never driven a galant, cefiro, camry or any mid-class luxury. thats why it feels relaxing.
    4rd. when u buy a Camry, its obvious that ur rich in phils or u have a great job, so why spend 2 million peses for a car that u dont even have money to buy a gas?????????

i forgot to mention that it "LOOKS AND FEELS like a topnotch.?" it only looks and feels topnotch, yeah watever, its still cheap plastic material crap compared to the bmw and bens
    1st: The Camry I was talking about wasn't the newly-released one, the one I rode in was a high-mileage privately owned previous version, and yes, it was very comfortable. Almost as solid in feel as a German car, and merely lacking that last bit of suspension tuning and compliance, as well as a little of that solidness. Oh, and old f*cked up Camrys? Still pretty solid feeling.

2nd: My uncle owns a bunch of these luxury cars, used his nice 420SEL for my wedding, simply because my cousin used the Jaguar for his, and we didn't want to use the same car for two weddings just a week apart. He's got an S550, an XJR and a 735... oh, and an S-Type. Obviously, I'm not rich enough to own any of these, that's why I drive a Ford...

While the Merc may have it all over the Camry in terms of that solid bank-vault feeling and the quality of leather and interior materials (Camry wood grain simply isn't the same as Merc...), the Camry, like I said, gives you 90% of the luxury that you actually need.

Heck, of all his luxury cars (merc, bimmer, jag, lincoln navigator, escalade, etcetera...), the car of his I like riding in most is his Ford E150. Tons more space than any of the sedans or SUVs, the ride is acceptable, the aircon is cold, and it's great family/barkada vehicle for outings. He must have thought the same thing... this is his second E150.

Driving? The Jag, but the way I drive, I'm afraid I'd wreck it... and he probably is, too... doesn't ever offer me a test drive, even though everyone else in the family has, already. Hehehe.

3rd: I've ridden in lots of luxury cars... not driven many, not too interested in driving SUVs and limos... and I've driven, oh, about 20 different vehicles in the past year alone, tons of midsizers and compacts, oh, and yes, really crappy cars like Crosswinds, Charades (oh, not crappy per se, crappy condition, maybe...) and Cimarrons (long live the Cimarron!)... and in general, I've been impressed in the improvement of mid-priced Japanese branded cars. It's quite something to see. Oh, and Koreans? The new Japanese, these guys. Not as refined as the mainstream manufacturers, but they offer good features for the price.

I'm dubious about the "luxury" of such "premium" cars as the Fortuner and Alterra (not really luxurious, just big), but recent drives and rides in Accords and Camrys have been eye openers. They're tons more refined than the older models, and while you won't attract stares and wows from the high-class crowd, so the hell what? You get to work and get home relaxed and refreshed.

Hell, you could get the same thing in the Cefiro, but it's too old, and the suspension is too "American" (floaty) for me. The old Galant? A bit stiff. Nice, sporty handling, but not as luxurious as the current Accord, Camry or Galant (the new Galant is quite nice). I used to drive a 626, too. Suspension was stiff, but very well-controlled. That was my "old f***ed up car", and yes, it drove and rode very well, despite having a floppy gearshift (which it wouldn't have had if it were an auto).

And 4rd? You must mean 4th: Rich people actually care about fuel consumption, too. If you're not buying a car to drag race, why spend so much for gas? A V8 is worth at least another full round of Lattes at Starbucks in terms of gas consumption versus a "measly" V6 or I6.

-----

Want crap plastic... rap your knuckles on the steering wheel of the Z4. Yup... it's not real aluminum. I'll admit, it does look nice, though.

-----

In the end, yes, it's all opinion. But here's the rub... have you driven the new Camry or a recent Camry? Have you driven a comparably priced Merc? I like to engage in "bench" racing as much as the other guy (bench racing involves arguing endlessly about cars neither racer owns or can afford), but I've actually done this. Yes, there is a gap, but in my opinion, if you want a comfy car, the Camry is enough.

And you don't have to lower your verbal/linguistic standards and skill sets to my level. Last time I checked, I'm pretty sure I had at least 140 IQ points. Might be less, now... No need to put anything "crudely" on my account.

Oops... EDIT: *Sigh*
    Last edited by niky; November 9th, 2006 at 01:21 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
2006 Toyota Camry vs. 2006 BMW 3 Series