New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2016
    hi guys. now ready to get a new suv after the hectic holidays. pajero vs explorer 2.3. same price, i like both their looks.. concerns:
    pajero: since it is going to be discontinued, im wondering about maintenance or parts availability down the road as i plan to keep it for about 6yrs. on the other hand, being discontinued, it would mean it will never get outdated as against a newer model pajero. of course pajero's durability is proven so thats also a plus vs. its design and interiors which is admittedly old already.

explorer: old issues such as FC(sold my 07 explorer last year after getting an everest) or ford service and reliability although did not personally experience any probs with my explorer before except for the aircon. but again the looks and the interiors of the explorer are so much more refined that FC concerns are easily overlooked. am just thinking that by late next year, a new look/model explorer will come out so it will become outdated as against the newer model. while with the pajero, this wont happen..
    if it would matter, we currently have 3 cars: e90, mirage g4, 16 everest.. probably sell the everest as 2suvs will be tight for our 3 car garage. dont want to parkanymore on the street like what happened before parang bilis mag fade ng paint.

pardon the lengthy post but have been thinking about this since oct and i cant seem to decide. thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2016
    will get one before end of feb excited na kasi eh. tsaka ko na problemahin parking. any other suggestions puede din as long in the same price range. TIA!

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    It would really help if you give your choices a test drive. Choose the one that feels good for you. With such a big budget, maybe you can consider the top of the line Explorer 3.5L Ecoboost. It maybe around 300k more expensive but it's one mean-looking and very quick SUV.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    How often do you plan to use the 3rd row? If you are going to use the car more as a 5 seater, then the Pajero would be a soild choice, mainly because of its cavernous passenger and cargo space due to its boxy design, true 4×4 capability, and tough-as-nails durability. But once you put in more than 5, the 3rd row passengers will be complaining of its narrow and short seat that severely lacks knee and legroom.

Explorer on the other hand has seats that could fit 7 adults comfortably, and cabin thats way polished and advanced compared to Pajero. My concern would be the exaust fume issue which has been plaguing this generation of explorer since 2012, has not been completely resolved yet based on what i've been reading (hoping current gen explorer owners could clarify this).

If between these 2, Pajero would be my pick, especially if I won't be needing more than 5 seats. Or if you can hold on, I'd suggest wait until the new Mazda CX-9 comes out

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Junichiro View Post
    How often do you plan to use the 3rd row? If you are going to use the car more as a 5 seater, then the Pajero would be a soild choice, mainly because of its cavernous passenger and cargo space due to its boxy design, true 4×4 capability, and tough-as-nails durability. But once you put in more than 5, the 3rd row passengers will be complaining of its narrow and short seat that severely lacks knee and legroom.

Explorer on the other hand has seats that could fit 7 adults comfortably, and cabin thats way polished and advanced compared to Pajero. My concern would be the exaust fume issue which has been plaguing this generation of explorer since 2012, has not been completely resolved yet based on what i've been reading (hoping current gen explorer owners could clarify this).

If between these 2, Pajero would be my pick, especially if I won't be needing more than 5 seats. Or if you can hold on, I'd suggest wait until the new Mazda CX-9 comes out

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk
    thanks
    the 3rd row of the pajero is fine as my youngest and his yaya can fit in it. we tried already. besides i may not sell the everest na din if i can find an extra covered parking. im leaning more on the explorer based on looks alone sana but ive heard a number of complaints in the explorer groups and the 15 and 16 models have those fume issues nga daw as you said, based on their experience first hand.. so what do you think guys, pajero even if its a bit of an "old new model?" will it still remain as a "premium" suv even if it will be discontinued? way Out of budget na kasi mga luxury suvs or more premium ones like LC, kung hindi, no more questions na sana..

6. Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    It would really help if you give your choices a test drive. Choose the one that feels good for you. With such a big budget, maybe you can consider the top of the line Explorer 3.5L Ecoboost. It maybe around 300k more expensive but it's one mean-looking and very quick SUV.
    test driven the pajero and find that its sufficient given that ill be using it city driving most of the time, once a week out of town.. not tried the explorer but siguro naman there are certain similarities with the old explorers which i find to be really powerful. no need din naman for the 4x4 explorer as like i said city lang most of the time. difference lang with the lower and higher variant explorer exterior are the mags.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Since you plan to keep your Everest, I'd recommend the Explorer.

The Pajero is a timeless, tough-as-nails SUV with sufficient power and commanding road presence. However, in terms of comfort and technology, it shows its age as it pales in comparison to the Explorer.

My main gripe with the Explorer is that for such a big car, it's pretty useless when the terrain gets tough. Low ground clearance and car-based chassis means that it's more comfortable on the highway than on a farm road. However, since you mentioned that the car will be used primarily for city driving and that you'll keep the Everest, then the Explorer suddenly fits you perfectly.

The only other drawback is that the 2.3 Ecoboost is nowhere as efficient as the diesel-fed 3.2 4M41 of the Pajero. Both have sufficient power your needs but the Explorer will be thirstier at the pump to the tune of an extra 5k worth of fuel per month. Of course, since you can afford an SUV of this price range, I'm assuming it's not much of a dealbreaker.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    You have an Everest already which is already a diesel SUV and which can compete with the Pajero.

Get the explorer for the more modern ammenities, tech toys, paddle shifters, panoramic sunroof and ultimately more powerful engine. Gas shouldnt be an issue for you at this price range.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    On a different note, why the need for another SUV when you already have an Everest? How about a Lexus IS350? It's a really nice ride for the same price as the Pajero and Explorer 2.3L. You can ferry 5 people comfortably on the city and spoil yourself once in a while with some RWD fun driving.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Curious lang bro, why are you considering to sell your Everest only after 1 year of ownership? Reason of parking space might only be secondary reason.

BTT, between the Pajero and Explorer, best you test drive both. Personally, I would go for Explorer as you already have diesel Everest (kind of redundant with a Pajero).

But if you will open to other options, give the Mazda CX-9 a test drive as well. Among Pajero, Exporer, and CX-9, I would lean towards the CX-9 for better value overall.

Good luck! Let us know what you choose in the end.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast