New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Civic for me. I don't like the performance of the new Lancer e.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    landslide! lancer rulez. haha.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by archie123456789 View Post
    no need, im a honda loyalist...
    Fortunately for me, I don't hold such loyalties. Having driven the Honda Civic and new Mitsu Lancer, between the two cars, the Lancer wins my vote hands down.

Personally the Civic has some issues to be solved including blocked vision in the forward quarter area due to the A-pillar design.

The winning point of the Lancer is the interior design and layout which places the bar for that class of car much higher than before.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Fortunately for me, I don't hold such loyalties. Having driven the Honda Civic and new Mitsu Lancer, between the two cars, the Lancer wins my vote hands down.

Personally the Civic has some issues to be solved including blocked vision in the forward quarter area due to the A-pillar design.

The winning point of the Lancer is the interior design and layout which places the bar for that class of car much higher than before.
    fortunately im loyal to a brand that holds true to their promise.

the winning point for honda is that we had and have different models of the brand and nothing disappoints us. simply reliable... unlike other brands that we had and gave us headaches and problems.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    ano nga ulit problem sa Honda CVT? why was it discontinued on the new Jazz? just asking, coz the Lancer is also CVT, so would it possibly have problems down the line, like that of Honda? though matagal na yata CVT sa Lancer(previous models). or did Lancer just make their CVT the right way, unlike Honda?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by swordsman View Post
    ano nga ulit problem sa Honda CVT? why was it discontinued on the new Jazz? just asking, coz the Lancer is also CVT, so would it possibly have problems down the line, like that of Honda? though matagal na yata CVT sa Lancer(previous models). or did Lancer just make their CVT the right way, unlike Honda?
    thats why we never trust new technology such as CVT... until proven na reliable, we dont get those models.

unlike the lancers, 2 versions na problem yung suspension nila pero same pa rin with the next one. at least honda realized that they havent perfected the CVT tranny and pulled it out with the next series of models.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Part of the CVT issue was confusion amongst the dealerships as to the appropriate transmission fluid to use. This was corrected via a TSB, which instructs dealerships to use the special CVTF instead of the regular ATF used for the rest of the fleet. Most affected CVT cars should have been checked for problems due to this, already.

The other problem with Honda's CVT is that they use a start-up clutch instead of a torque converter. In other words, instead of a fluid coupling mechanism, there's a friction point where the CVT interacts with the drive wheels. With aggressive driving, coupled with the aforementioned CVTF issue, the clutches could wear down prematurely... and expensively.

Use the CVT properly (and not like a boy-racer, yo... ), and you should have no problems. I know a bunch of people who've had the CVT since launch with no issues.

-----

Still, these issues, along with customer complaints about transmission response (unwarranted, personally... it's fine just the way it is) and the fact that newer automatics and new engine programming that gives a fairer spread of torque provide similar or better fuel economy have lead to Honda dropping the CVT in favor of a more conventional 5-speed torque-converter automatic.

-----

But this won't matter to Mitsubishi drivers. The Mitsubishi CVT uses a conventional torque converter instead of clutches. In other words, it will be no more unreliable than the regular automatic transmission found in the Civic... and it's more responsive and better geared, to boot.

-----

RE: brands... while Honda, overall, is a pretty good brand... they have their share of issues... the horrendous fuel consumption and weak engine mounts of Gen.2 CR-Vs... (at least we didn't get the burning CR-Vs that the US did (oil filter issue), transmission durability issues on old Accords... poor rubber bushings on first-generation Jazzes... bizarre exploding windshield issues on EG Civics (as well as the rust thing). They're good, but nobody's perfect.

Of course, in this case, Mitsubishi has more points against them (with a scandal sheet too long to enumerate), but this is a brand new car and shares nothing with the old Lancer... based on world-car technology co-developed with Chrysler and Hyundai. The suspension feels perfect, the engine is great, the body is ultra-stiff... it's really a cut above the rest and a sure winner in its class for Car of The Year.

Oh, yes, the suspension. Complaining about the old Lancer's suspension when talking about this car is like complaining about the Gen.2 CRV 2.0's fuel economy when talking about the Gen.3 CRV 2.0... it's a completely different engine in the new CRV. Likewise, it's a completely different engine, suspension and car we're talking about with this new Lancer.

The only worry, really, is whether the local Mitsubishi service centers can do this car justice. One can only hope that the recent recovery of Mitsubishi in terms of sales has allowed them to upgrade their service centers.
    Last edited by niky; October 24th, 2008 at 12:08 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    Yes ayos Niky buti nalang nilinaw mo, medyo kinabahan ako sa mga huling posts, lalo na yung CVT issues...Whew mukhang Lancer na nga, iniisip nalang namin is kung GTA or MX, tsaka kulay...Dark Gray most likely

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    While its true the new Lancer has nothing to do with the old, people have lost confidence on the Mitsubishi brand including me. Ako nga I only stick to the Honda and Toyota brand, ayaw ko na ng Mitsubishi and Nissan (low resale value).

10. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Lancer 2.0 GT-A CVT

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
08 Lancer 2.0 MX  or Civic 1.8S AT