New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    hello to all tsikoters!
    i would like to seek you expertise on my almost 2month long problem...

my car wont start... 40 days and counting... =(

i got an AT Honda ESI 93. Bigla lng sya di ngstart one day.

i dnt know what's wrong (besides i really dont have the knowledge on engines)

these are the things i have done so far... and i would like to seek your advice if my car really needs to be overhaul...

>i replaced my battery with a new one. may regondo na.
    pero ayaw tumuloy sa engine at ayw mgstart.
    >our mechanic check kung may fuel na ngpapump from the gas tank, he open the fuel pump and he makes sure may supply na gas sa injector.
    the car still wont start.
    >our mechanic told us na bka un computer box, kc may power na (battery) at may fuel supply na... na punta nmn po sa computer box.
    once he open the computer box, its like, it was the very 1st time na nbuksan un.malinis at lahat mukang bago... pinacheck na un comp box at pinalitan un isang IC related to fuel injection...
    >when we plug the comp box, di pa rin umandar un car. all light are working. may power sa lhat. windows, horns, flashers, wipers, etc...
    >now he turned to the engine... he removes the spark plug and check un pressure... sa gauge di pumalo un reading. may isang slot pa dun na 0reading. and there he recommends na ipa-top overhaul...

may delima is now simply, should i proceed to overhauling my engine???
    i asked for second option frm my cousin (whose somehow knows more than me when it comes to engine problems) ang sbi e, computer box might be the culprit kc baka di tma un synchronization sa engine valves/piston...

i would like to seek your knowledge what is the best thing i should do in order my car starts running again... (my wife is pregnant and it is due this month... i do hope this car will serve its purpose why we bought it in the 1st place...)
    would really like to hear your comments...

Thank you and more power to all tsikoters!

regards,
    mrcnldjn
    LP

2. Join Date
    Jun 2009

Suggest you bring your car to a shop equipped with diagnostic scanner to properly diagnose trouble codes. This could not be properly diagnosed by your own mechanic especially he has limited knowledge on fuel injection systems. Before having your engine overhauled, suggest to have it compression tested. A sign that an engine needs to be overhauled is that engine oil level is going down ( pumping oil/ blowby) , black smoke emitting from exhaust muffler, loss of power, black/ sooty spark plug tip.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    TO nickriingen:
    thank you for your inputs. now im beginning not to really proceed with the overhaul.
    engine oil on my car is always at the normal level. im planning to change the oil the day my car stopped working... but before it stops running, there's no black smoke emitting from the muffler, spark plug looks ok (dirty but not full of carbon). i remember sometimes prang cold starting, nid ipainit pra umandar. pro once umandar na, smooth na. malakas hatak at never namatay unless i turn off the engine...
    btw, hw does compression test perform? ito ba un may nilalagay na gauge sa slot ng spark plug? or iba pa sa ginawa nun mechanic?
    thanks for your help.

nickriingen
    Tsikot Member

Re: Signs that engine needs to be overhauled?

Suggest you bring your car to a shop equipped with diagnostic scanner to properly diagnose [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]trouble [COLOR=blue ! important]codes[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. This could not be properly diagnosed by your own mechanic especially he has limited knowledge on fuel injection systems. Before having your engine overhauled, suggest to have it compression tested. A sign that an engine needs to be overhauled is that engine oil level is going down ( pumping oil/ blowby) , black smoke emitting from exhaust muffler, loss of power, black/ sooty spark plug tip.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nickriingen View Post

Suggest you bring your car to a shop equipped with diagnostic scanner to properly diagnose trouble codes. This could not be properly diagnosed by your own mechanic especially he has limited knowledge on fuel injection systems. Before having your engine overhauled, suggest to have it compression tested. A sign that an engine needs to be overhauled is that engine oil level is going down ( pumping oil/ blowby) , black smoke emitting from exhaust muffler, loss of power, black/ sooty spark plug tip.
    U are right with the oil level pero black smoke?? tune up lang kailangan nun (linis MAF sensors,plugs etc.). dapat po white smoke or bluish white ng kaunti. Dahil naghahalo na nag langis at tubig. Piston rings kadalasan naman ang sakit ng ganun which is na-cocorrect ng overhaul.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcnldnjn View Post
    hello to all tsikoters!
    i would like to seek you expertise on my almost 2month long problem...

my car wont start... 40 days and counting... =(

i got an AT Honda ESI 93. Bigla lng sya di ngstart one day.

i dnt know what's wrong (besides i really dont have the knowledge on engines)

these are the things i have done so far... and i would like to seek your advice if my car really needs to be overhaul...

>i replaced my battery with a new one. may regondo na.
    pero ayaw tumuloy sa engine at ayw mgstart.
    >our mechanic check kung may fuel na ngpapump from the gas tank, he open the fuel pump and he makes sure may supply na gas sa injector.
    the car still wont start.
    >our mechanic told us na bka un computer box, kc may power na (battery) at may fuel supply na... na punta nmn po sa computer box.
    once he open the computer box, its like, it was the very 1st time na nbuksan un.malinis at lahat mukang bago... pinacheck na un comp box at pinalitan un isang IC related to fuel injection...
    >when we plug the comp box, di pa rin umandar un car. all light are working. may power sa lhat. windows, horns, flashers, wipers, etc...
    >now he turned to the engine... he removes the spark plug and check un pressure... sa gauge di pumalo un reading. may isang slot pa dun na 0reading. and there he recommends na ipa-top overhaul...

may delima is now simply, should i proceed to overhauling my engine???
    i asked for second option frm my cousin (whose somehow knows more than me when it comes to engine problems) ang sbi e, computer box might be the culprit kc baka di tma un synchronization sa engine valves/piston...

i would like to seek your knowledge what is the best thing i should do in order my car starts running again... (my wife is pregnant and it is due this month... i do hope this car will serve its purpose why we bought it in the 1st place...)
    would really like to hear your comments...

Thank you and more power to all tsikoters!

regards,
    mrcnldjn
    LP

mrcnldjn,
    have you considered the thought that the timing belt might have broke or lost teeth? the timing belts for these cars are supposedly due for replacement every 60kmiles or 100kkms. check your owner's manual. if the engine was alive and well the last time and it just quit, avoid blaming the engine computer. you have mentioned many "baka" by your mechanics. take it to a trained and experienced technician, baka mahulaan nya ito. have him check the basics as well as the vitals. many people forget to check these predictables and always blame the computer. this is for sure a sign of incompetence.
    jick

6. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcnldnjn View Post
    TO nickriingen:
    thank you for your inputs. now im beginning not to really proceed with the overhaul.
    engine oil on my car is always at the normal level. im planning to change the oil the day my car stopped working... but before it stops running, there's no black smoke emitting from the muffler, spark plug looks ok (dirty but not full of carbon). i remember sometimes prang cold starting, nid ipainit pra umandar. pro once umandar na, smooth na. malakas hatak at never namatay unless i turn off the engine...
    btw, hw does compression test perform? ito ba un may nilalagay na gauge sa slot ng spark plug? or iba pa sa ginawa nun mechanic?
    thanks for your help.

un lang po ang compression test. compression guage po ang ginagamit para sa test na ganun. sa sparkplug hole lang nilalagay un. dapat papalo ung guage pag may compression. Sa spark plugs mo naman dapat hinde dirty yan dapat ang sunog nyan medyo bronze mala golden brown dapat.

Kung wala talagang compression yan kahit na kaunti d mag sta start yan. Ndi po tutuloy ang four stroke cycle ng makina(Intake,COMPRESSION,ignition/power,exhaust). Kailangan talaga ipa overhaul. piston rings yan cguro.

OR, humanap ka ng mekaniko na may OBD sa casa sigurado meron sila(On board Diagnostics tool, handheld device like a big cellphone) Bumabasa po yun ng computer box. Sasabihin ng OBD kung ano sira ng sasakyan mo. May codes na lalabas na nagcocorrespond sa manual ng OBD. Para lang makasure ka na wala talagang compression. Pero the compression guage itself tells you na walang compression kahit na kaunting palo lng so sa tingin ko ipa overhaul mo na talaga yan.

One more thing before na hinde na umandar yan mayroon bang check engine light sa dashboard mo?

BTW, i used to be a helper mechanic sa states.

Signs that engine needs to be overhauled?