New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    TS as you said you're new to cars,

I'd avoid the Hi-lux surf since its probably a converted unit and you might get a poorly converted unit. Though there some that are done right

In your shoes its the crosswind, why? its dirt cheap to maintain and come resale time when you got more cash to spend resale value holds up very well as compared to a you're other choices. Yes its slow pero most hi-ways naman hanggang 100kph lang naman top speed and besides family car and utility vehicle naman hanap mo hindi sports car...

2. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    *GTi: Wow, super helpful breakdown. Thank you for taking the time to write that! My husband shares the same sentiment -- he hates the way the old Hyundai Santa Fe looks too. He'd rather choose the Sorento. The Korea surplus sellers here have the Sorento and they're diesel A/T. A 5-seater is not a problem for us i.e. a 7-seater is just a bonus.

We included the Ford Everest on our list only recently because we feel like it would be easy to resell here in our area where people just LOVE off-road type vehicles. If we find a 4x2 manual transmission variant, would you say that would be fuel efficient? Or does it still guzzle fuel compared to other diesel SUV/AUV/pickups? Also, I know the Ford Everest has an old diesel engine so do you think parts for it would still be difficult to find in our neck of the woods?

That's another +1 to the Toyota Innova and Hyundai Starex. Now if only I could convince my husband to drive these soccer mom-type vans!

*1D4LV: Our friend has a Kia Carens here and it's actually not that bad-looking ha! It's also on our list. Just didn't list it here because I already have Kia represented by the Sorento.

*blue_gambit: I did hear something about the Hilux Surf being Japan-made so thank you for affirming that.

Yes, I know, if it were just practicality, I should be looking at the Crosswind and nothing else. But I'm just not in love with it, you know? It's like plain white bread, it'll fill me up and get the job done but why choose that when you can get cake or a brownie. LOL. I'll still go shopping for a Crosswind. All I know is to stay away from the XUV variant.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Kung ako, i'd get the Pajero FieldMaster. Madami parts tsaka sakto lang maintenance. May angas factor pa! hehe.. yung 1999-2000 Pajero FM nasa ganyang price range na ;) Medyo downside lang nya eh medyo malakas sa krudo. i think it gets around 7 KM/L

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennt View Post
    Kung ako, i'd get the Pajero FieldMaster. Madami parts tsaka sakto lang maintenance. May angas factor pa! hehe.. yung 1999-2000 Pajero FM nasa ganyang price range na ;) Medyo downside lang nya eh medyo malakas sa krudo. i think it gets around 7 KM/L

Yung matic ang malakas sa FM, pero yung M/T nasa 9km/l city naman... Kung kasama sa choices ng TS yan dun ako... hahaha

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ikaela View Post
    *GTi: Wow, super helpful breakdown. Thank you for taking the time to write that! My husband shares the same sentiment -- he hates the way the old Hyundai Santa Fe looks too. He'd rather choose the Sorento. The Korea surplus sellers here have the Sorento and they're diesel A/T. A 5-seater is not a problem for us i.e. a 7-seater is just a bonus.

We included the Ford Everest on our list only recently because we feel like it would be easy to resell here in our area where people just LOVE off-road type vehicles. If we find a 4x2 manual transmission variant, would you say that would be fuel efficient? Or does it still guzzle fuel compared to other diesel SUV/AUV/pickups? Also, I know the Ford Everest has an old diesel engine so do you think parts for it would still be difficult to find in our neck of the woods?

That's another +1 to the Toyota Innova and Hyundai Starex. Now if only I could convince my husband to drive these soccer mom-type vans!

*1D4LV: Our friend has a Kia Carens here and it's actually not that bad-looking ha! It's also on our list. Just didn't list it here because I already have Kia represented by the Sorento.

*blue_gambit: I did hear something about the Hilux Surf being Japan-made so thank you for affirming that.

Yes, I know, if it were just practicality, I should be looking at the Crosswind and nothing else. But I'm just not in love with it, you know? It's like plain white bread, it'll fill me up and get the job done but why choose that when you can get cake or a brownie. LOL. I'll still go shopping for a Crosswind. All I know is to stay away from the XUV variant.
    I see. Where are you from, by the way? A manual 4x2 Ford Everest should give you good gas mileage, its just that its unrefined and uncomfortable. If its just the Crosswind and this one though, its definitely this one. The 1st gen Everest uses Mazda parts, many of which are from the B-Series pickup of the 90s so you shouldn't have parts problems.

I agree the Innova is rather like a soccer mom vehicle. But then its an excellent soccer mom vehicle. If it helps, I know of many successful men who personally drive their Innova's and like it.

As for the Starex, I personally don't find it to look like a soccer mom van. I for one wouldn't mind driving one. For me it looks more like an SUV than a minivan, actually and its a proper truck underneath with a ladder frame chassis. There are 4x4 variants available too. Since you are considering the Sorento, and you don't find the modern engine a deterrent, you may be interested to know that (if I'm not mistaken) the Starex GRX CRDi shares the same engine. Its not as economical to maintain as the old turbo intercooler engine, but is much more rewarding to drive. Just look for the ones with lower mileage.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    *Brennt and blue_gambit: I never did like the Pajero because it comes off as "old mannish" to me. Sorry. And I'm not happy about that 7-9 km/L fuel consumption.

*GTi: I'm from an area where mining is the main industry. I'm kind of used to the rough rides and drives. I mean, nothing can be as bad as the noisy Crosswind or the super tagtag Fortuner, right? I can hardly hear myself think in the Crosswind and driving the Fortuner made me check if my tires were blown a few times because it was just bouncing all over the place. The Everest CAN'T be THAT bad?

After everything you've said and I've researched, I've put down the Starex and Innova on my list (scratched out the old Hyundai Santa Fe). They're still not on my husband's though. Hay.

Newbie question again: Why would the modern CRDi engine be a deterrent to me? Is it considerably more expensive to maintain? Hard to find parts for particularly here in the province? Do I have to be a more careful driver with it (no clutch riding, no high RPMs, no revving, no sudden brakes and etc.)?

I've come across a bit of info on the CRDi engine and I think I'm alright with all the extra care it needs (using only cleaner diesel, being strict with the PMS, getting regular oil changes and etc.) I may be a first-time owner but when I have a new toy, I can become obsessive. I need to know everything about how it works. As long as it won't be a pain to find a shop that knows how to service it and find parts for when needed -- especially since I'll be buying a second hand unit -- I'm okay with it.

And now since I'm looking at Everest types, I've included the Toyota Hilux (not the Surf). It's on the higher end of my budget but its reputation here on Tsikot makes it worth it I believe.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    *Brennt and blue_gambit: I never did like the Pajero because it comes off as "old mannish" to me. Sorry. And I'm not happy about that 7-9 km/L fuel consumption.

*GTi: I'm from an area where mining is the main industry. I'm kind of used to the rough rides and drives. I mean, nothing can be as bad as the noisy Crosswind or the super tagtag Fortuner, right? I can hardly hear myself think in the Crosswind and driving the Fortuner made me check if my tires were blown a few times because it was just bouncing all over the place. The Everest CAN'T be THAT bad?

After everything you've said and I've researched, I've put down the Starex and Innova on my list (scratched out the old Hyundai Santa Fe). They're still not on my husband's though. Hay.

Newbie question again: Why would the modern CRDi engine be a deterrent to me? Is it considerably more expensive to maintain? Hard to find parts for particularly here in the province? Do I have to be a more careful driver with it (no clutch riding, no high RPMs, no revving, no sudden brakes and etc.)?

I've come across a bit of info on the CRDi engine and I think I'm alright with all the extra care it needs (using only cleaner diesel, being strict with the PMS, getting regular oil changes and etc.) I may be a first-time owner but when I have a new toy, I can become obsessive. I need to know everything about how it works. As long as it won't be a pain to find a shop that knows how to service it and find parts for when needed -- especially since I'll be buying a second hand unit -- I'm okay with it.

And now since I'm looking at Everest types, I've included the Toyota Hilux (not the Surf). It's on the higher end of my budget but its reputation here on Tsikot makes it worth it I believe.
    Firstly, I believe 7-9km/L is the norm for almost all of these vehicles, some maybe even worse. In Metro Manila city driving of course.

The Everest has a double wishbone front and leaf spring rear suspension, same as the Crosswind. This means ride quality is pretty much similar to what you'd expect from a Crosswind with big tires. The Everest is based on a pickup truck after all.

If you get your husband to test drive the Starex, especially the CRDi, you may get him to change his mind, most likely when he finds the spacious interior, and gets to smoke the Montero's and the Fortuner's in the highway.

Considering that you live in the province, extra care has to be taken in using a CRDi engine. Periodical maintenance is pretty much the same as an old school diesel, as you also change around 6-8L of motor oil, oil filters and air filters from time to time. The CRDi engine has been on the mainstream market for around ten years already, parts should already be more widespread especially with the older designs, and many mechanics, how old school they may be, should already be more familiar with how it works, especially the with advent of droves of Accent CRDi cabs. CRDi engines can be very durable, as proven by such excellent engines as the 3.0L 1KD engine found in the Fortuner, Hilux and Prado and the 3.2L 4M41 engine found in the Pajero and, at one point, the Montero Sport which are extremely flood worthy and start up immediately even after Ondoy and Habagat. But parts are considerably more expensive if something does break down. There are the sensitive high pressure injection pumps for example. If anything, the Bosch fuel systems used by Hyundai and Ford seem to be more durable and resilient to the local fuel as compared to the Denso systems employed by the Japanese companies, some of which has been plagued with fuel mixing or choking issues.
    Last edited by GTi; November 30th, 2012 at 07:41 PM.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Once again, thank you for sharing your wisdom with me, sir GTi.

So I see that the key to the CRDi engine is preventive maintenance (and finding one that is in good shape since I'm getting a second hand). I'm somewhat confident about finding mechanics and parts for that type of engine as I see plenty Hyundai Starexes here. Which actually confirms what you're saying about how the Starex is a viable option for us.

Okay, so I'm narrowing down my choices to the Kia Sorento and Isuzu Crosswind. If there is a Toyota Hilux with low mileage (every secondhand Hilux under 500K is so used!), a 4x2 MT Ford Everest and if my husband agrees to the Hyundai Starex, I'll still include those too. I'll see what's the most sariwa I can get at the best price. Hope something comes up before Christmas.

Thank you once again all of you for generously sharing your knowledge with a newbie like me! Very much appreciated

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Once again, thank you for sharing your wisdom with me, sir GTi.

So I see that the key to the CRDi engine is preventive maintenance (and finding one that is in good shape since I'm getting a second hand). I'm somewhat confident about finding mechanics and parts for that type of engine as I see plenty Hyundai Starexes here. Which actually confirms what you're saying about how the Starex is a viable option for us.

Okay, so I'm narrowing down my choices to the Kia Sorento and Isuzu Crosswind. If there is a Toyota Hilux with low mileage (every secondhand Hilux under 500K is so used!), a 4x2 MT Ford Everest and if my husband agrees to the Hyundai Starex, I'll still include those too. I'll see what's the most sariwa I can get at the best price. Hope something comes up before Christmas.

Thank you once again all of you for generously sharing your knowledge with a newbie like me! Very much appreciated
    Glad I can help.

The Hilux has ridiculously high resale value, even with the old models. The Hilux (pickup) is extremely durable, but especially with the old models, its extremely uncomfortable. The engine is normally aspirated old school diesel, so its noisy and slow too. The Hilux Surf (SUV version) gets the turbocharged engine, but its not officially available locally. Which means most units here are converted Japan surplus, others are gasoline US units. Take note though, that Hilux Surf with the 2L-T engine is notorious for cylinder head cracking issues.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Hi Tsikot members, I need your expertise on what's the best second hand all-around vehicle my 450K can buy. I've already gone through so many threads on different automobiles here but since everyone's been so helpful to everyone else, I thought I'd take the plunge and create my own thread.

Here are my concerns:

1. I'll be using the vehicle mostly around the city and with my newborn baby. I foresee my husband will be using it to lug around bulky stuff for his business. We like to take out-of-town trips every weekend or so and the vehicle will be subject to rough roads.

2. We're first time owners and not that knowledgeable about cars (although we're very keen on learning -- syempre excited about the new purchase). We're also based in the province -- there are no "casas" here. We have to drive to the bigger cities if we need casa service. Finding a knowledgeable mechanic and car parts also might be difficult.

3. With our new baby as our main focus, the vehicle has to be inexpensive to maintain and of course, as fuel efficient as possible.

So you see, we need an all-around vehicle. So far, I've narrowed down my choices to diesel-fed SUV/AUV/pickup types. I have the Hyundai Santa Fe (1st gen), Kia Sorento (1st gen), Ford Everest and the Isuzu Crosswind XT/XTO shortlisted.

I feel like I should be looking at more models so here I am asking for your help! Please help! Thank you
    Kung pang-harabas na AUV chief, Isuzu Crosswind - built-to-last gaya ng plus plus plus 350,000 km na 2003 Crosswind namin (huminto na ang odo, pero ayaw pa ring masira ng sasakyan). At kahit man masira boss, di mo pag-hihinayangan haha

Kung pickup, puede din lumang D-max 3.0 TD Intercooler (o baka maka-score ka pa ng 3.0 Ddi-iTEQ, lalo na doon sa mga may ari niyan na inis na sa Isuzu Philippines bakit ayaw pa magpalit ng model ), Strada 2.8 4M40 (ito yung guapong Endeavour na may hood-coop), o Nissan Frontier 3.2 (baka Titanium series pa makuha mo chief)

Kung CUV naman, get ka nalang ng previous model Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDi - matipid mga ito sir, mabilis pati guaranteed ;)

Cheers! Goodluck!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
What's the Best All-Around 2nd Hand Vehicle 450K Can Buy?