New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by daddy View Post
    I am looking for a 2nd hand van, AUV or SUV for my growing family. Me, my wife, my 3 kids(10year old, 8year old and 3year old) and sometimes my mother or my wife's mother come along for a ride. My tight budget is 350k to slightly higher, say up to 380k. My wife sometimes drives also, so she prefers matic.

I am looking at some prospects:
    1. Toyota - REVO VX200, Avanza or if available Innova J
    2. Mits - Adventure, Spacegear, Serena
    3. Hyundai - Starex(intercooler models)
    4. Honda - CRV (2nd generation)
    5. Japan surplus - Granvia, El grand, Serena, Pajero, Hiace

What will fit my needs? In terms of fuel efficiency & repairs, what is the best? I also would want a van which can handle some long travels (Pampanga, Tagaytay, Subic and once a year Baguio)

We have a 01' Honda Civic VTI-S and I am having a hard time fitting all of us.

Thanks in advance for helping me and my family.
    With your choices, you'll be sorely missing the performance and amenities of your Civic VTi-S. IMHO, best choices are the Innova J and Starex Turbo Intercooler. But 2nd hand Innova's sell for 400k+ and above. The Starex is the most comfortable among your choices but look out for any sort of rust problems that have plagued early units. Intercooled variants should not be terribly short on power as long as it is well maintained. The Revo is OK. You can get the GLX diesel variant for all power amenities, though the engine is not particularly strong, ride is so-so and interior is space is rather limited. Forget the CRV, its cramped for lots of people and guzzles gas. Japan surplus is fine as long as that particular model is also sold locally so that parts shouldn't be a problem, and you are 101% sure that the conversion is properly done.

Here are some that you may be interested in:
    http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...bo+Intercooler
    http://www.ayosdito.ph/Kia+Carnival+...746.htm?last=1
    http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...bo+Intercooler

2. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    im also planning to buy a van. mga sir how about a sedona/carnival? benz vito?i think crdi na mga engines nito?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    go for the TOYOTA REVO VX200 diesel, but automatic tranny variant are very rare, sure na tiyaga-tiyaga ka dyan sa hanapan for those people who selling this type of variant.

I pick the Revo vx200 for you because you got looks (eps. the chrome grills, oem mags which is looks good, classic body design, two-tone color, etc. gwapo naman ang revo), you got power, in my opinion 2.4 diesel engine is sufficient for your needs, it's engine is enough for its big body and a 9 passenger and I sure if you want to harness some speed on it I'm sorry first to tell it will not make you satisfy, it is not fast as you think like other cars in your list, way back 2008 when I experiened driving a Revo vx2000 manual tranny nga lang also a diesel variant I only got a 130 kph w/ a 5 passenger on board but when it comes to UPHILL climbing I assure and guarantee you that REVO's won't let you down, I swear, you can race to other cars in the inclines of Baguio and tagaytay.

another pro's of revo are:

LOW MAINTENANCE COST
    CHEAP COST OF REPAIRS PARTS
    THICK BODY
    ENOUGH AIRCON COOLNESS
    SPACIOUS CABIN and LEGROOMS are nice
    TOYOTA POWER STEERING IS SO NICE

and the con's are:

REAR LEAF SPRING SUSPENSION medyo may tagtag -medyo lang ah and may quite squeaky *langitngit* sound from it
    DIESEL ENGINE revo diesel engine is quite noisy if you are outside the car, the engine noise is noticable but inside the cabin engine noise is alright (tahimik naman kapag nasa loob)

P.S stay away from GAS VARIANTS REVO they are gas guzzler, if you want an another option I recommend the ISUZU CROSSWIND XT or the XTO)

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by boytira View Post
    im also planning to buy a van. mga sir how about a sedona/carnival? benz vito?i think crdi na mga engines nito?
    Stay away from the German, it'll be a pain to maintain. The Sedona/Carnival is nice. Facelifted version is preferred, but get only the manuals. The A/T of that car is something to be avoided.

*TS: I don't think there are diesel Revo's with automatic transmissions. AFAIK only the gas Revo's have them. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the VX200 variant is a gasoline variant. Its diesel equivalent is the VX240D.

As for the Crosswind, its slow, noisy, smoky and uncomfortable. I suggest you look for the Starex Turbo Intercooler (make sure it has the intercooler, since earlier versions don't and they have significantly less power), or the even more powerful Carnival/Sedona (manuals only!).

Happy car hunting!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks, GTI for the free ads. I am strongly considering the Starex Intercooler. I drove the non intercooler Starex way back and it was really slow, but I liked the ride. Does the intercooler really makes a big difference on speed? What are the diff between the RV and other 1999-2003 models? My observations re Starex I saw and heard:

1. makes squeeky sound, maybe sa shocks?
    2. parking lights, head lights, brake lights busted or not working
    3. what is the use of the ladder? will it hold the person climbing it?
    4. club version - imported or local?

Re Revo, is the SR' engine different from the VX200?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    And what is the FC for these intercooler Starex? thanks.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by daddy View Post
    Thanks, GTI for the free ads. I am strongly considering the Starex Intercooler. I drove the non intercooler Starex way back and it was really slow, but I liked the ride. Does the intercooler really makes a big difference on speed? What are the diff between the RV and other 1999-2003 models? My observations re Starex I saw and heard:

1. makes squeeky sound, maybe sa shocks?
    2. parking lights, head lights, brake lights busted or not working
    3. what is the use of the ladder? will it hold the person climbing it?
    4. club version - imported or local?

Re Revo, is the SR' engine different from the VX200?
    An intercooler makes a big difference. A 2.5L intercooler turbo direct injection engine (1st generation Ranger/Everest) is actually more powerful than a 2.5L CRDi turbo without intercooler (Innova/Fortuner/Hilux/Hiace). According to Starex_Gold, the turbo intercooler Starex makes 105hp, 20 more than the non-intercooler version. Squeeky sound? I'm sure if everything is well maintained, there shouldn't be anything like that. The lights not working should be ordinary for any car, it is part of the consumables anyway. Yes, the ladder is for easier access to the roof rack, we had a family friend with a 2000 Starex Club. And I've personally seen the driving climbing that ladder and loading luggage on the roof. Yes, the Club variant was sold locally.

AFAIK the Revo SR uses the petrol 1.8L 7K . While the VX200 uses the petrol 2.0L 1RZ-E.

I'm not sure as to the fuel mileage. For that you'd have to ask Starex_gold. He owns one.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I strongly recommend the Starex AT but the Crosswind XTO AT is also a good choice given that your family and not your driving pleasure is its main purpose.

The XTO is sturdy, fuel efficient and has about every space your family needs.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Are all crosswind models direct inject already? I saw some ads re the XT models which sells below 400thou. What are the differnces of these crosswind models?

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Yes, they are all direct injected but not electronically controlled. There is basically almost no differences in the engine and drivetrain of the Crosswind since the Hilander first debuted. Lately though, the M/T models started to have the low pressure turbo found in the A/T models to help emissions (but not much with the performance). The differences between the different Crosswind models are basically just level of equipment, nothing more. I'm not sure if the XUV and Sportivo variants have any differences in the suspension though. But I would not be getting this if I were you. Especially if you will always be using the 3rd row. The suspension is sturdy but you'll be feeling its sturdiness quite a lot as well. Safety is also not very good as the Crosswind uses very soft steel so much so that it doesn't know what the words "crash structure" means.

In comparison, a Kia Carnival which has 5 star crash rating from the NHTSA and a 135hp turbo intercooler engine costs less than the Crosswind. So I don't find it that worth it. I'd prefer this over the Starex too as it is more civilized, comfortable, powerful and has quite a lot of equipment.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Used Van for P350k