New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You can't buy a Prius engine secondhand. Toyota buys back Priuses once past a certain sell-by date. Plus, the value of the Prius powertrain (if you could get one secondhand) would be about 300k to 400k pesos.

That's a ridiculous assertion, though. All car manufacturers make their platforms flexible to accomodate different engines... hence the 1.1, 1.4 and 1.5 CRDi Getz.

-----

As for fuel efficiency, that depends. In general, Toyota and Honda have the most fuel efficient engines per pound of displacement. But a Picanto isn't a ghastly gas guzzler. You can still get 20 km/l. Of course, it all boils down to the driver and the situation. I'm still trying to find out the methodology used for the DOE runs. A parallel run using different drivers is bound to give inaccurate results (a difference of up to 5-10 km/l, as we've seen in Honda's eco-runs)... and very short runs can offer misleading fuel usage results.

You see, there's the trap that most others fall into... the "sabi-sabi" and age-old wisdom of older drivers.

These are the same drivers that encourage you to idle your engines forever to let the carburators warm up (eh? What's fuel injection?), these are the same people who used to say Japanese engines are junk and will never be as reliable as good old, low-revving V8s.

R&E uses Toyotas because they've always done so. Many companies do simply because in the perception of their bosses, that's the way to go.

I'm not saying Toyotas are bad. They're reasonably dependable. But these perceptions are based on information and experiences from many years ago... back when Hyundai was still selling cars like the Excel. Back when Hyundai's quality made Protons seem like a good thing. Back when they were only using licensed technology, and the most we saw of Korean cars here were truly horrible secondhand grey imports. Things change.

I'm not telling you to go out now and buy a Hyundai or Kia. But to hold judgement until you see how the new cars perform or have firsthand experience of such.

Ten years ago, would I have advised my Mom to get a Starex (like I'm doing now?)...? No way. I would've said: Let's stick to a Japanese car. Likewise, would I have bought a Mazda 323 / Ford Lynx? Naaah. But over time, and with research, I concluded: These vehicles are not perfect, but for our usage, they're not bad. I've had bad experiences in the past with Mazdas, but over 65,000 kms, the Lynx hasn't given me any more problems than a Corolla or Sentra of the same age (the Sentra gave more electronic problems and suspension problems, actually... and my cousin's Corolla with the same mileage run in similar conditions needed new shocks).

From the "sabi-sabi" of others, my fenders should have rusted away by now... my shocks should've given up the ghost (they're softer than when new, but still more controlled than the shocks on my old Nissan at 40k kms), my engine should've blown to bits, my bushings should all be gone... blah blah blah. I know I've been a staunch defender of this car, but I'm not immune to the "sabi-sabi", so each 5k kms that go by without problems is a pleasant surprise. In fact, I was surprised when I found loose trim on the dashboard after all this time, because the car has been so solid (the dash trim on the Exalta fell out after 50k kms).

If you want a Vios, go ahead. It's actually a pretty practical choice. But base it on sober, objective analysis of data regarding the actual cars you are buying rather than relying on word-of-mouth about cars that none of these carmakers actually make anymore.
    Last edited by niky; May 9th, 2007 at 04:51 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    It is really important po talaga. Lalo na ngaun na ang daming daming models na ang mga lumalabas.. Pag korean Cars kc, they always think na low class lang.. "SIRAIN" kaya they look forward lagi kung ano ang magiging appraisal ng Car mo when time come na gusto mo na magpalit.

Ang ganda ng Hyundai TUCSON at kia SOrento hanep sa porma!

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Some cars truly target JD Powers & Associates like a marketing strategy. If you know they scored good there, you'll probably buy more from them right?

Resale value isn't everything though. For one if you were the buyer, of course you'd want to pay less right? If you were to buy a cheap Toyota the owner wants to get rid off the soonest, then you've got a deal right?

But look at it this way, if that same unit was priced much more, and if it was a common car, madali lang makahanap ng alternate car to buy at a lower price right? If you're not particular with small details, then any car would do as long as it satisfies your criteria and gets the job done.

Some people really do care for their cars, and it takes one to know one when buying for 2nd hand cars. So if you know what you're looking for, and you know the unit is in great shape to start with, then by all means pay the asking price. But like I said above, if you don't really care about that part, and just want good, reliable and fuel efficient transportation, then look around more. Maybe you could find a better deal somewhere else.

So it all depends on a lot of factors too like popularity ng car in question. In the end, resale value is only important for the seller. Finding the right buyer is another matter. Of course there are exceptions like when you really have to get rid of a car, if you're really desperate, you'll probably just sell it to the first buyer so long as you get your minimum asking price.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mike01 View Post

even taxi drivers i asked do not recommend kia's .. i expect a different answer but they really don't trust kia's or any korean cars.. i always get that same answer..

Ok so how about asking them rules and laws of our road?

Cmon' A taxi driver? if he is a mechanic pwede pa

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Finding the right buyer is another matter. Of course there are exceptions like when you really have to get rid of a car, if you're really desperate, you'll probably just sell it to the first buyer so long as you get your minimum asking price.

just to clarify.. a car's resell value is according the the 'demand'.. the more buyer for a car the higher the resell value is..

you have to understand first, why does the used car have more demand? from there you will understand why the car is worth keeping for a longer period of time..than a car with less demand..

so in essence.. a high resale value means longer usage.. longer usage translates to more economy and more value for money.. you could use a low depreciation car that you bought brand new for 20 years (see those 87 box type lancers, and corolla dx on the streets?) before you might need to junk it.. so pwede mo pa sya ipamana sa anak mo..

i have yet to see a 20 year old korean car running on the streets..

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    think about it..

a 20 year-old 87 lancer box type sells for around 80k when this has sold during its time brand new for a little over 100k.. its like losing nothing..

and compare that with a 10 year old kia pride that sells for around 70k. with a brand new purchase price of over 200k during its time..

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005

lets keep in mind that a car that we buy is not really ours.. parang inarkila lang natin yan.. pero nagdeposit tayo ng pera, which after we use the car pwede na din natin ilipat sa iba at makuha natin yung deposit na pera natin..

so in essence ASSET yan..it goes to our asset column..

di mo masabi na forever mo magagamit yang kotse na nabili mo.. pano kung nalipat ka ng trabaho sa ibang bansa o sa malayong probinsya? o nangailangan ka ng pera? so dyan papasok yung resale value nung kotse.. para makuha mo uli yung pera na na deposit mo..
    dude a car is never an asset unless you use it for bussiness (taxi, shuttle service). if for personal use, it definitely should be in your liability column... no ifs no buts... and you'll never recover the initial cost of your purchase.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rusem View Post
    dude a car is never an asset unless you use it for bussiness (taxi, shuttle service). if for personal use, it definitely should be in your liability column... no ifs no buts... and you'll never recover the initial cost of your purchase.
    mukhang idol mo si colayco at si kiyosaki ah..hehehe..

ang tinutukoy mo e income generating asset.. ikaw naman oh..

ang tinutukoy kong asset is based on accounting principle.. andami palang liability ng bangko kase andami nilang narerematang kotse??

---

mukhang nasa maling thread tayo.. dun ata tayo dapat sa usapang financial matters..

9. Join Date
    Nov 2004
    i have yet to see a 20 year old korean car running on the streets..
    wala pa naman talaga kasi mga kia at hyundai nung mga 80's kaya wala ka talagang makikita na 20 year old car sa kalye. actually, when these korean car makers started, their cars are not as durable compared to its japanese counterparts. shempre, may learning curve yan. but during the recent years, ang laki na ng improvement ng quality and finish ng mga hyundai and kia so i think people should consider them as major competitors in the market.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    They may be well-built and good value, but when it comes down to it, that means nothing for its resale value.

The market determines resale value, as someone said earlier. If everyone thinks Kias suck, whether they do or not, the resale value is going to be low.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Is resale value really that important?