New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Reading/browsing though this and other local automotive forums. I always see that we Filipinos buy brand new or second hand cars. We always see the brand name first rather that its package. Not only to us who is reading forums to get reviews but to the people outside the internet community. I believe that's over 60 - 70 % are not into car reviews or don't even care about it. They just see the brand like Toyota, Honda, etc or in short Japanese brands. Even here at tsikot. Alot of members will go over Japanese brands over Korean brands for resale value. Sa office naman namin. Only 4 of us have Korean cars. Picanto, Getz, Pride, Aveo. And the owner of Aveo thinks that it's an American made car. Nakikipag away pa. Chevrolet daw kasi. For me it's a hard time explaining them why did I get Kia over Toyota or Honda. Lagi nalang ako minamaliit. And when they see my car it's like trash and that their cars is better.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by uwak18 View Post
    Reading/browsing though this and other local automotive forums. I always see that we Filipinos buy brand new or second hand cars. We always see the brand name first rather that its package. Not only to us who is reading forums to get reviews but to the people outside the internet community. I believe that over 60 - 70 % are not into car reviews or don't even care about it. They just see the brand like Toyota, Honda, etc or in short Japanese brands. Even here at tsikot. Alot of members will go over Japanese brands over Korean brands for resale value. Sa office naman namin. Only 4 of have korean cars. Picanto, Getz, Pride, Aveo. And the owner of Aveo thinks that it's a American made car. Nakikipag away pa. Chevrolet daw kasi. For me it's a hard time explaining them why did I get Kia over Toyota or Honda. Lagi nalang ako minamaliit. And when they see my car it's like trash and that their cars is better.
    There are people who care about resale value of their cars. Nothing wrong with that. If they want as much return as possible for their money, that's their perogative.

There are also those who keep their cars until they don't run anymore. Nothing wrong with that either. I fall squarely within this group. To me, resale value isn't as important as "0" car payments, lower insurance rates, and lower car registration fees. I have no need for the latest and greatest every few years.

Our 1995 Ford Contour SE (2.5 V6) aka Mondeo, has been paid off since 1999. It runs fine, hasn't given me any major headaches, plus the wife is attached to it. Every year I've owned it since 1999 is money in the bank (and my daughter's U of Az college fund). I'd like to replace it just because it's tempting to have a new car. But, I think my wife will keep it until the wheels fall off.

We also have a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. Do I care if people diss it? Nope. What they say goes in one ear and out the other. Me, I just go about my business. But, if they seem overly persistent on dissing it, I might go back later and key their precious car or better yet, pull the tubes off a couple of the tires.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    We surely have different views here but in my opinion, resale value is important if the car won't stay with you for so long. You have to go with the car's performance and sometimes looks (para di ma outdate agad) heheh ewan ko lang talaga that's just my opinion. Pero it's true na maraming tao na bias sa brand lalo na dito sa Pinas. Honda-Toyota world dito. Of course marami na rin proven cars nagawa ang Toyota at Honda pero it doesn't mean na laging masmaganda ang gawa nila sa ibang car manufacturers. Para bang sa school dba ibang companies biased lang usually sa Dlsu, Admu, Up which I think is really crap and BS eventhough nanggaling ako sa isa dyan. Di naman porke nanggaling ka dyan mas malupit ka na. Pero baka may other reasons hehehe. So yun mga taong in a way binabash yun auto mo, walang alam sa auto yun mga yan. May kakilala nga ako na Honda lang sya kasi daw madami gumagamit saka status symbol. Don't you think it's crazy? hehehe Marami talagang ganyan dito sa atin close minded.
    Pero yun nga lang talaga opinion ko after lahat ng sulat ko hehe para sa kin, important lang yan resale pag wala ka balak patagalin ng matagal yun auto sa yo.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    To answer the thread title, yes if you're planning to sell it eventually. No, if you're planning to stick with your ride for a long long while.

Samen we buy vehicles with high resale value kasi every after 2 years e binebenta na namin normally ung sasakyan. Iwas maintenance kasi. Pero not all our cars, ung gamitin lang.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Re thread title: Depends on your priorities (if you're planning to sell it and get another car or not). Either way, it's handy information.

Re people dissing "lower class" cars: don't mind them. To me a car is a tool first, a hobby thing second, a fashion accessory third, an "extension of my manhood/personality" far, far last. As for your officemate who thinks his car is American made, I guess he's never seen the "GM DAEWOO Made in Korea (or is it Thailand or China?)" written all over the place.
    Last edited by Alpha_One; May 8th, 2007 at 09:53 PM.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Some vehicle owners follow a certain time table, say, every 5 years from the time of purchase from brand new to the "ideal" time to sell a car. What most say is that this time frame is the best compromise between using the car to its optimal performance and still get a good price for it when sold.

Manufacturers, on the average, also change their variants in an "all new" package (which includes dramatic changes in body features and technological advancements) every 5 five years or so.

I think that it is sometimes unfortunate that some second hand car buyers let "brand mentality" rule over their choice even if there are a good number of well maintained Korean cars that can be obviously in better condition than their Japanese counterparts of the same age and category.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2004
    majority of the consumers here in the philippines are very loyal to brands that are most known due to heavy advertisement by the media . for example, majority are using nokia as cellphone, sony for television sets, nike for rubber shoes, starbucks as coffee and so on.

and of course, for cars, filipinos only know of toyota and honda. why do people buy these 2 brands? mataas kasi ang resale value. and bakit mataas ang resale nya? because of brand perception. yun lang naman eh. im not taking away anything from these 2 brands but it's really the filipino consumers who's giving it a higher resale value compared to other brands.

ayun tuloy, lahat na lang ng kotse sa daan, either honda or toyota. kahit ubod ng pangit ang design ng honda city, mabenta pa rin kasi nga honda. kahit mukhang bungal na kuba ang bagong crv, nagagandahan pa rin mga tao. honda kasi eh! kahit mukhang glorified revo lang naman ang innova, mabenta pa rin. toyota kasi eh! durable and subok na, ika nga.

and the worst part is, other brands like kia, hyundai, chevrolet are always put in a bad light. may narinig ka lang sa kaibigan ng kaibigan mo na may problema yung chevy optra nya, i-gegeneralize na walang kwenta ang chevrolet. kia sucks because natatandaan pa rin nga mga tao yung cheapo na kia pride which was a masa car before. so pag bumili ka ng kia picanto, people will think of you na di ka mayaman coz you can't afford a honda jazz.

lahat naman ng brands may lemon eh. even toyota and honda. it just dont happen that when there is something wrong with a brand new civic, it doesnt get as much fuss such as a lemon optra for instance.

when you think about it, kaya mahal ang toyota and honda is because of the high resale value that consumers give to them.

well, at least dumadami na sa daan ang mga gawang korea like getz, tucson and picanto. it goes to show that consumers are slowly having a different perception towards these brands. kaya before buying a car, dont look at the brand. check the entire specs, read reviews, compare prices and dont be afraid in getting a different brand. there is always a better option out there so dont always settle for the "known" brands just because everyone is driving it.

ps. btw, i have owned a civic and 2 corollas during the past 10 years. they are really good cars and didnt give me any problems. im just saying, there are other brands out there which has almost the same quality with these 2 brands, so there is no harm in trying out a different brand.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    vineview ko kasing utility ang sasakyan lalo na ngayon na may pamilya na ako. wala sa akin kung Toyota or Hyundai. Actually sa past thread nag reply ako kung paano hindi ko nagustuhan ang Mazda 6 over a Hyundai Sonata. At sinabi ko pa nga dun na halos walang pagkakaiba ang Sonata sa Camry when it comes to the comfortable feeling that I experienced.

Ang pinakamahalaga sa akin when it comes to owning a car ay iyong pakiramdam na mayron pa akong maitatabing pera (and of course iyong safety). Para sa akin peeps ah, ang kotse pag meron ka na, hindi naman ito nagiging ginto (unless gawin mong pangnegosyo). Kaya since hindi ito nag gegenerate ng ginto bumili kami ng kung ano iyong pinaka swak sa budget at sa pangangailangan ng pamilya ko at hindi dahil sa resalve value nito dahil para sa akin maski Honda pa yang binili mo eh pag binenta mo yan talo ka pa rin. Unless mabenta mo yan sa isang tao na wala talagang alam sa sasakyan or magawan mo ng paraan na panalong panalo ka at iyong nailabas mong pera sa pag memaintain at pag papaganda ng auto mo ay kahit papaano bawi mo which is hmm.. I doubt kung mangyayari iyon dahil iyon nga hindi naman nag gegenerate ng pera ang auto eh.

Anyway, ngayon I own a Toyota Vios. Baket kasi eto ang pinakaswak sa budget ko. Budget sa pagbayad ng sasakyan, pag maintain, pang gasolina at pang rehistro. May saswak pa sana kaya lang di ko naman gusto ang Picanto at Getz kasi ang liit nila hindi bagay sa pangangailangan ng pamilya ko. Oks din iyong mga Altis/Civic na sasakyan kaya kung sa kaya kaya lang mas gusto ko pang iinvest ang perang idadagdag namin kaysa sa ipandagdag sa Altis.

Ang resale value para sa akin talo ka pa rin dun kahit saang anggulo mo tignan unless (naggegenerate ng income ang vehicle mo) or iyon nga magawan mo ng paraan na iyong pinagmaintain mo ng sasakyan, pinagpaganda mo eh mabawi mo.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    yun kasi resale value ng 90's eh iba na ngaun. andami-dami tsikot sa kalsada ngaun, dami dami options ng mga 2nd hand buyers.

wais din ang mga tiga-probinsya na usually buyers ng mga 2nd hand cars. malakas mambarat mga yan kasi alam nila na pag nasa Manila, one can't resist to drive a new car every 3-4 years. ika nga parang peer pressure

andun na yun bigyan daw siya ng discount kasi mamasahe or magpapagas pa daw sila from province to manila, tapos ang hiningi discount 20k to 50k eh pang-Hongkong trip na yun eh

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Trust me, the negative perception of Korean cars is not something limited to the Philippines. But if the thing gets you from point A to point B in reasonable comfort, then who cares what other people think? A car is a vehicle.

People that make judgements on others because of the car they drive are shallow, anyway.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Is resale value really that important?