New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake1 View Post
    *GTi

hhehehe.. perhaps 'restraint' is my middle name.. or too much of it anyway....

City driving is Mandaluyong/ Makati/Quezon City. kasma na traffic dun.. but I accelerate gently. During my 2 day stay in Baguio (coming from mandaluyony) with trips to trinidad valley .. total fuel cost was only P1,600. Im afraid magugulat ako sa FC if I switch to a 2.5 or 2.8 diesel. which is why it seemed and Estima (at 2.2) seeamed an acceptable upgrade.....
    Ah. Kala ko city sa probinsya. Napakagaling nun ah! 12km/L city tapus diesel pa, mas matipid ka na sa mga Vios!

Matatakot ka talaga sa konsumo ng 2.8 A/T, pero 2.5 turbo diesel pwede pa, especially with your driving at kung manual kunin mo. My uncle used to have a converted 1st gen 3 door M/T Pajero with a 2.8L 4M40 engine transplant. He was able to get around 8km/L city, and he has a very heavy foot. I'm sure with a light foot you can do at least 9-10 with the smaller 4D56.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    With the recent developments in Port Irene it seems my option to purchase a vehicle there has been shelved…

However, after considering the cost of repairing the Townace and realizing that after I fix all the stuff that I can fix it still wont be 100% ok… I’ve decided to go with replacing it.

Baka OT na ako on my own thread but here goes…

I’ve narrowed my choices to the ff in this order:

1, Toyota Estima or Lucida or Livina (3C engine)
    2. Mitsubishi Delica (the boxy type)(2.5 pajero engine)
    3. Kia Pregio (with captains chairs) (2.7 cc displacement)

My requirements are the ff:
    1. keep fuel consumption as low as possible
    2. reliability
    3. availability and low cost of spare parts (interchangeable)
    4. comfort

I usually drive alone 6 days a week… and when not driving alone the maximum I carry would be 5 people including myself. I’m very partial to the Estima due to the comfort see from its amenities, However, I’ve always drooled over the Delica and picking that would the the heart deciding not the mind. I worry also that since it’s a 4 x 4… there is a bigger chance of “laspag” since I would think it would be driven harder than most. The Pregio is like a plan c if the first 2 options don’t materialize. A concern on the Delica and Pregio though is my negative experience of having the engine under the drivers seat…

My budget would be between 130k and 150k. I cant go higher than that and Im not considering other units aside from what I mentioned above.

Now all things being equal (such as unit quality/ the capacity of the unit to be re-registered at the LTO/ etc). what would be a better choice?

Any feed back.. specially from those who have had experiences on these vehicles would really be appreciated….

Thanks in advance

3. Join Date
    May 2012
    tanggalin nyo na po sa list nyo ang lucida at estima....rhd po ito tama? sakit sa ulo po yan lalo na po yung proppeller shaft going to radiator yung po bang balancer patay kayo dyan!

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    with your budget... my recommendation is to get a locally-sourced pregio or besta, para walang problema sa LTO.. yung may conduction sticker pa, para outwardly ay sumisigaw ng "local ako!! hindi ako cagayano! hindi ako cebuano! hindi ako kampapangan!" heh heh.
    btw, i used to drive a local besta for 9 years.. the aircon was great while new. but over the years, it became less great... i had the aircon looked over, but no one could bring it back to its original frigidity..
    i got a small electric fan and pointed it at my legs, to help solve my legs' engine heat problems.. but only a little..
    a vast majority of estimas and delicas here, are "questionably imported" units.. avoid for now, until things become clear..

baka mayroon kang makitang revo, adventure or hilander na nagmamadali kaya mura... the fuel bills may be higher if gasoline-powered, but the reliability and maintenance should be superior to the imports'... comfort will depend on how large your passengers are..
    Last edited by dr. d; March 9th, 2013 at 06:40 PM.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    ^The Pregio is cheap, comfortable, and won't look out of place in a hotel driveway. Though it really lacks punch, it is capable of running Baguio via Kennon Road fully loaded as we have tried around 15 years ago.

If you want something with a hood, the AUVs are very dependable especially when compared to the overheat-prone early Korean vans. The Adventure has good highway legs but huffs and puffs at the inclines. The opposite is true with the Hilander/Crosswind, which is very good with inclines but doesn't seem to be much better on the flatlands. The Revo seems to be a fairly even compromise between the two. We have the Revo so I'll speak about this one. Front row is decent enough with generous legroom. 2nd row is rather tight, with legroom only slightly better than a pickup. 3rd row is surprisingly spacious though. You can seat 6 people in there when push comes to shove, and I can sit there without having to duck (I'm 5"10, by the way). At around 200+k at least, these are still a bit expensive though.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    *skyflakes... sir what specifically po ang problem ng propeler shaft? Is that problem common to the Estima/lucida line up? Sayang yung pa naman ang type ni significant other.....

*dr.d.. I'm not going to buying immediately... I guess it will be 2-3 months for now... so there is time for these issues to sort these things out. But I guess my interest is..... (not taking registration as an issue)....are there any among my choices that are better than the other?

here are some interesting units I've seen

Delica : Mitsubishi Delica Super Exceed Star Wagon 4x4 Philippines - 5508047

Lucida : Toyota lucida 140k Philippines - 7664324

Pregio : 1997 Kia Pregio Philippines - 8188770

*GTi : I agree re the Revo, that would have been ideal....but its cost is above my budget.... I'd probably be going to Baguio only once or twice a year and di naman po kami masyado nag go-go out of town

---sorry I cant seem to insert links properly

7. Join Date
    May 2010
    *skyflakes... sir what specifically po ang problem ng propeler shaft? Is that problem common to the Estima/lucida line up? Sayang yung pa naman ang type ni significant other.....

*dr.d.. I'm not going to buying immediately... I guess it will be 2-3 months for now... so there is time for these issues to sort these things out. But I guess my interest is..... (not taking registration as an issue)....are there any among my choices that are better than the other?

*GTi : I agree re the Revo, that would have been ideal....but its cost is above my budget.... I'd probably be going to Baguio only once or twice a year and di naman po kami masyado nag go-go out of town

The Pregio has a comfortable ride but tends to overheat, and has the tendency to wiggle at triple digit speeds. Here is a review - motioncars.com | Kia Pregio (1994 - 2004)

With the things going on at Port Irene, better go for a local unit para piece of mind. You wouldn't want someone chasing after you while enjoying your car.

Maganda rin sana ang first gen Mazda MPV na local (like this THE ULTIMATE USED CAR GUIDE: Used Car Review - Mazda MPV (1996-1998)) kaso out of budget.

Liteaces and Vanettes might not be your liking, and even the L300 Exceed wont fit your budget din eh. Ayaw mo ba ng Toyota Tamaraw FX? Kasya siya sa budget mo pero ingat ingat sa ex-taxi units.

I'll give you some links for reference:
    toyota tamaraw fx gl Philippines - 8616869
    1994 model Toyota Tamaraw FX GL Philippines - 8617942
    Toyota Tamaraw Fx 98model Gl108k Rush Philippines - 8584571
    toyota tamaraw fx 1996 model Philippines - 8483341

All of them are gasoline engines though, yung 5k engine ay medyo malakas sa gas nga lang.

If you can, save some more para makapagdecide ka pa.

Or wait, may mga nakita akong mga Isuzu Hilander na under 200k
    2000 Isuzu Hilander WNB-332 Philippines - 8558668
    1997 Isuzu Hilander Sl Power Steering 2.5 Direct Injection Diesel Philippines - 6351129
    98 model isuzu hilander Philippines - 7738620
    isuzu hilander Philippines - 7456505

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008

Since registration is not an issue with you, then the Delica is worth considering. The owner seems to be pretty straightforward with what has to be done with the car. Just make sure that it has clean papers and a good quality conversion.

The Pregio is a nice proposition but the unit you posted is a matic variant which is much less fuel efficient than the manual and is very very sloooow... Early Pregio's were known for overheating problems in long drives so you'd have to keep a close eye on the coolant.

I wouldn't go for the Tamaraw FX. Gasoline versions are underpowered and thirsty, while diesels are plagued with reliability issues. Just ask any FX taxi driver.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Since registration is not an issue with you, then the Delica is worth considering. The owner seems to be pretty straightforward with what has to be done with the car. Just make sure that it has clean papers and a good quality conversion.

The Pregio is a nice proposition but the unit you posted is a matic variant which is much less fuel efficient than the manual and is very very sloooow... Early Pregio's were known for overheating problems in long drives so you'd have to keep a close eye on the coolant.

I wouldn't go for the Tamaraw FX. Gasoline versions are underpowered and thirsty, while diesels are plagued with reliability issues. Just ask any FX taxi driver.
    thanks GTi...i observed that the selling price of Delicas have gone down these past days.. I wonder if its due to the Port Irene Issue.. although the units I'm seeing have plates starting with R or X. Im looking at some M/T units... perhaps that will help keep the cost of fuel down..

*myk384.... thanks for the links sir.. very informative.. the MAZDA MPV is a great vehicle but its above 200k so medyo di kaya......

---out na po ba talaga ang mga Estima? should I cross this out of my list due to unreliability issue?

10. Join Date
    May 2010
    ---out na po ba talaga ang mga Estima? should I cross this out of my list due to unreliability issue?
    not unreliable, siguro sa conversion process yan. Check mo mabuti kung ok yang unit pero the Estima is a nice car. Yun nga lang your passengers need to go out sa "wrong" side ng kalsada hehehe.

Another suggestion na kasya sa budget, Mazda E200 or Power Van
    1998 Mazda Power Van (Manual) Philippines - 8609860
    http://sulit.com.ph/8548207
    mazda 1995 power van Philippines - 8523424
    mazda power van E2000 1996 newly registered '13 family van cheap Philippines - 8522880
    For Sale Mazda Power Van Philippines - 7341093

Gasoline engine nga lang, pero ang maganda dual sliding doors siya.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast