New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jon121 View Post
    Thank you very much guys for the inputs, especially foresterx and niky. Please keep the inputs coming.

Another note, Prado is actually pushing our budget to the max. I just included it here in case Pajero and Explorer are really bad options. Ideally, its between Pajero and Explorer.

*Stickers: For our current a/t pajero, when starting downhill, it starts at 1st gear, then even though speed is there, it waits til it gets to 2000rpm before shifting to 2nd gear, resulting in a rough change of gear. Imagine mo nlng na ur driving a manual and u know you can change to 2nd gear na but ur stuck with 1st gear because u want to reach 2000rpm regardless of the speed you are in. Thats how it feels like. Parang it gets stuck in 1st gear, increasing rev but not gaining speed til it hits to 2000rpm.
    downhill kasi sir e. almost all AT prevents upshift (when in D) kapag downhill. Safety design yan sir.
    kung nasa tiptronic ka, pwede ka mag upshift kahit downhill.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jon121 View Post
    *Stickers: For our current a/t pajero, when starting downhill, it starts at 1st gear, then even though speed is there, it waits til it gets to 2000rpm before shifting to 2nd gear, resulting in a rough change of gear. Imagine mo nlng na ur driving a manual and u know you can change to 2nd gear na but ur stuck with 1st gear because u want to reach 2000rpm regardless of the speed you are in. Thats how it feels like. Parang it gets stuck in 1st gear, increasing rev but not gaining speed til it hits to 2000rpm.
    My bad, A/T pala yung Pajero nyo. Namisinterpret ko as Manual tranny.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    i pick pajero kung todo na sa budget yung prado. atleast pang pms nyo na lang ang sobra. plus it's a diesel compared to explorer. maintenance and parts wise mas ok mitsubishi over ford.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Many matic trannies give some semblance of engine braking when going downhill while in gear and delays shifting in the process. Its to prevent excessive brake input due to "free wheeling". If that is what you are talking about, try to shift manually and see if it still jerks.

If you're getting a new ride to replace your Pajero, why would you replace it with another Pajero? It hasn't changed in years so you'll be getting the exact same thing. If that thing with the tranny really is normal, then you'd just continue to be annoyed with it. The refreshed Pajero with the 4M41 VGT engine is already available elsewhere so it should be coming here sometime soon too. I'd suggest you keep the Pajero for now or, if you are in a hurry to get a new car and money is no object, get the Prado (though I really do not find it worth its 3M++ price tag especially of you take the Pajero's pricing into consideration).

If you have concerns for fuel efficiency, I suppose you shouldn't be thinking of the Explorer especially if you will use this mostly for city driving. If you want a gas SUV that gives good highway mileage, might I suggest you consider the Honda Pilot instead.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Baka A/T recognizes that you need engine braking, hence the behavior.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    since 500K+ ang difference ng explorer sa pajero.. hindi kaya mageven-out naman yung cost ng gas sa diesel? hindi naman siguro 500K ang difference ng gasolina ng explorer sa pajero in 5 years diba? :D

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennt View Post
    since 500K+ ang difference ng explorer sa pajero.. hindi kaya mageven-out naman yung cost ng gas sa diesel? hindi naman siguro 500K ang difference ng gasolina ng explorer sa pajero in 5 years diba? :D
    2.6M na yata ang TOL Explorer. Almost same na sa Pajero.
    Signature

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    2.6M na yata ang TOL Explorer. Almost same na sa Pajero.
    Yup, yung ecoboost ang 2.250M.

Ford Explorer 4x4 AT Limited PhP 2,595,000

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    Why don't you add Tahoe into the mix andiyan na rin lang ang explorer...or the patrol

Pero if you ask me, Id settle for the 2nd tier TOTL SUVs like fortuner, montero, trailblazer kung masasagad din lang sa budget tapos may constraints pa sa maintenance.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Explorer na yan...especially in this color

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast