New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Hi guys,

My dad is planning on buying a flag ship car for the family. We currently have an a/t 2009 diesel pajero bought 2nd hand, but my dad isn't very happy with it because shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear is quite rough especially on downhill. We had it checked in mitsubishi and all of them said it was normal. I don't know if this is just an isolated case or if it is really normal for all pajeros.

Now my dad is thinking of selling that pajero to buy a newer model of SUV. So our choices are 2010-12 Pajero (dsl), 2010-12 Prado (dsl), and 2012 Explorer.
    All can sit 7 passengers, and have 4x4 capabilities.

Here are the things that he is looking for in an SUV:

1. Ground clearance
    2. Fuel economy
    3. Low maintenance cost
    4. Driving comfort
    5. Power for overtaking vehicles
    6. Durability and reliability
    7. Good resale value
    8. Prestige (or yabang factor)
    Bonus: High tech stuffs

Please post your thoughts and opinions. Thank you.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    based sa criteria mo, mukhang prado ang best bet mo :D

pero kung ako ang pipili, i'll go with the 2012 explorer all because of porma! lol.
    medyo matipid din daw yung naka-ecoboost na explorer balita ko :D

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jon121 View Post
    Hi guys,

My dad is planning on buying a flag ship car for the family. We currently have an a/t 2009 diesel pajero bought 2nd hand, but my dad isn't very happy with it because shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear is quite rough especially on downhill. We had it checked in mitsubishi and all of them said it was normal. I don't know if this is just an isolated case or if it is really normal for all pajeros.

Now my dad is thinking of selling that pajero to buy a newer model of SUV. So our choices are 2010-12 Pajero (dsl), 2010-12 Prado (dsl), and 2012 Explorer.
    All can sit 7 passengers, and have 4x4 capabilities.

1. Ground clearance
    2. Fuel economy
    3. Low maintenance cost
    4. Driving comfort
    7. Good resale value

1. both the prado and pajero have a pretty good ground clearance
    2. prado has a slightly better fc compared to the pajero
    3. all of your choices are expensive to maintain
    4. explorer wins by a mile
    5. all are powerful enough for overtaking normal cars easily
    6. i'd go with the pajero
    7. prado
    8. explorer
    bonus: explorer by a mile again

but seriously if you can afford to buy a car at 2M+ FC and cost of maintenance is the least of your concerns. anyway the more expensive a car is the more expensive it is to use and maintain. there is a difference between having the money to buy a 2M+ car and being able to afford to own a 2M+ car. so make sure you can afford one before buying one. lately i've seen a lot of people buying very expensive cars that they can't afford to own and selling it after only a couple of months for almost half the price because they couldn't afford the maintenance and refueling almost 2-3x a week.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Go for the Pajero!

Explorer?Let's hope lumabas na yung 3.5 Ecoboost Sport variant!

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    1. Ground clearance - Pajero or Prado

2. Fuel economy - the diesels With an AT, the Pajero and Prado will be at about 5 km/l in traffic versus 3.5 km/l for the Explorer. The Explorer is actually nearly as good on the highway, but diesel costs less than gas.

3. Low maintenance cost - you don't buy cars this expensive and expect low maintenance costs. As long as you're doing things at the dealership, these cars will all cost a lot to maintain The diesels will require more frequent/more expensive PMS, but I don't expect the difference to be that significant.

4. Driving comfort - Explorer, by a mile

5. Power for overtaking vehicles - All are okay. but the Pajero and Explorer definitely have an edge over the 3.0 Prado.

6. Durability and reliability - Possible mechanical issue for Ford will be the power-take-off rear differential. Possible issues for the Prado and Pajero are fuel system problems down the line. Both can be minimized by cautious preventive maintenance and avoiding doing things that will bring about problems (loading dirty diesel, driving very hard, missing PMS fluid changes). Your call.

-----

7. GOOD RESALE VALUE - This is the big one, isn't it? My advice: The cheapest diesel in your price range will always have the best resale value. Let's take a look.

Old Explorers at five years are listing at 700k. That's a 1.3m loss from brand new at 35% resale. Remember, the old Explorer had the low-tech Cologne engine, which made much less power and was less economical than the new one on the highway (they both still suck in traffic). I expect new Explorer resale will be higher because it's more desirable. I'd say 40-45%. Rough estimate, 1m, for a 1.5m peso loss.

Prado resale should be around 50%, given we're talking about the diesel... so around 2.2m pesos.

Obviously, though... you're spending 3.6 - 3.8m pesos on the Prado in the first place, so you're still taking a 1.5m million peso loss. Same as with the Explorer! The 2.2m is optimistic, actually. Given the 3.6 - 3.8m price of a local brand new diesel, secondhand five year old 4x4 diesel Prados are actually listing at around 2m flat, for a 1.6 - 1.8m peso loss.

The Pajero DiD lists for 2.7m. Five year old diesels are listing for 1.55m, on average. That's just a 1.15m loss at a resale rate of over 50%. You can do better with the Pajero because price discrepancy between local and secondhand gray market is much lower than with Prados. For the price of a secondhand local Prado, buyers can get a secondhand Dubhai version with a whole lot more luxury.

This is listng price, mind you. contract price will be between 100-200k pesos lower, depending on how desperate you are to sell. And Prado and Pajero secondhand prices will likely get much lower when the current models change... which may happen within the next five years. The Explorer is a new model, and we will likely not see a new one for several more years.

So. In this one instance. Toyota doesn't win resale. Mind-boggling, huh?

-----

8. Prestige (or yabang factor) - All are pretty good.

Bonus: High tech stuffs - Explorer, by a mile.

Listen to foresterx. He speaks the truth. If you can't afford the fuel and maintenance, best to consider buying something cheaper than a truck that will lose you over 1 million pesos in resale and over 1 million pesos in fuel/maintenance/insurance costs whichever way you cut it.
    Last edited by niky; November 7th, 2012 at 10:37 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2012

1. Ground clearance
    2. Fuel economy
    3. Low maintenance cost
    4. Driving comfort
    7. Good resale value

How about this sir? Landcruiser 70 Series

Easily sits 9 to 10 passengers. FC rated at 9.0 km per litre combined city and off-city driving

Cheers!

7. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Hi guys,

TS, di ba pag downhill naman talaga you should not shift from 1st to 2nd... mas maigi nakaneutral then shift to 2nd or 3rd gear na kasi yung downhill descending speed mo is over-rev na for the 1st gear and minsan sa 2nd na rin?

or namimis-interpret ko po ung post nyo... pls enlighten me.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Thank you very much guys for the inputs, especially foresterx and niky. Please keep the inputs coming.

Another note, Prado is actually pushing our budget to the max. I just included it here in case Pajero and Explorer are really bad options. Ideally, its between Pajero and Explorer.

*Stickers: For our current a/t pajero, when starting downhill, it starts at 1st gear, then even though speed is there, it waits til it gets to 2000rpm before shifting to 2nd gear, resulting in a rough change of gear. Imagine mo nlng na ur driving a manual and u know you can change to 2nd gear na but ur stuck with 1st gear because u want to reach 2000rpm regardless of the speed you are in. Thats how it feels like. Parang it gets stuck in 1st gear, increasing rev but not gaining speed til it hits to 2000rpm.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Thank you very much guys for the inputs, especially foresterx and niky. Please keep the inputs coming.

Another note, Prado is actually pushing our budget to the max. I just included it here in case Pajero and Explorer are really bad options. Ideally, its between Pajero and Explorer.

*Stickers: For our current a/t pajero, when starting downhill, it starts at 1st gear, then even though speed is there, it waits til it gets to 2000rpm before shifting to 2nd gear, resulting in a rough change of gear. Imagine mo nlng na ur driving a manual and u know you can change to 2nd gear na but ur stuck with 1st gear because u want to reach 2000rpm regardless of the speed you are in. Thats how it feels like. Parang it gets stuck in 1st gear, increasing rev but not gaining speed til it hits to 2000rpm.
    If the Prado diesel is out of the budget there is a Prado V6 4.0 (gas) which is being sold for 2.9M by TMPI.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010

Its normal to shift *2000rpm. Hindi pa da triptronic yan? You can already use the paddle shifter for earlier shifting dapat.

If NS pajero yang sa inyo, INVECS II na yan, so you can manually shift earlier dapat.
    Mitsubishi Pajero NS Pajero 2006-2008

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast