New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Hey guys! As you can see, I’m new to the forums, but not new around cars at all. My parents were once part of the tuning culture and have given me the option to choose my first car to be used as a daily (either brand new or second hand) but, having a share of the payment

I’ve been trying to look for a good first car, and I’ve so far concluded that any car I should get should be Japanese (cheap parts and maintenance, and more fuel efficient). Also, I don’t fancy the overly common cars on the road (especially the 90s civics and the corollas) but I do respect them for their reliability and cheap aftermarket parts, and in fact I’ve driven an EG6, and it feels great.

So far I fancy those cars that do stand out and look sporty, and actually dreamed to have a Fox body Mustang(this isn’t really a reasonable choice though) and through research I’ve concluded that the WRX suits me(from any generation), although with its own drawbacks, as it’s much more expensive, but I think the cost is worth.

Although I'd really prefer fun to drive cars, just not the civics though, sorry
    Also have a flexible budget, as long as it's a reasonable first car

Tldr;
    1. Japanese cars
    2. Preferably the less common cars (although more expensive parts)
    3. Sporty look and feel
    4. Ease of Maintenance (especially not BMW-level expenses)
    5. Less prioritized, but good fuel economy as well
    6. Planning to own this for 4-5 years sa college, not sure after though

Any thoughts? And could anyone recommend other cars I should look into? Either Brand new or Second Hand(tuner cars)

Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Potchisan View Post
    Hey guys! As you can see, I’m new to the forums, but not new around cars at all. My parents were once part of the tuning culture and have given me the option to choose my first car to be used as a daily (either brand new or second hand) but, having a share of the payment

I’ve been trying to look for a good first car, and I’ve so far concluded that any car I should get should be Japanese (cheap parts and maintenance, and more fuel efficient). Also, I don’t fancy the overly common cars on the road (especially the 90s civics and the corollas) but I do respect them for their reliability and cheap aftermarket parts, and in fact I’ve driven an EG6, and it feels great.

So far I fancy those cars that do stand out and look sporty, and actually dreamed to have a Fox body Mustang(this isn’t really a reasonable choice though) and through research I’ve concluded that the WRX suits me(from any generation), although with its own drawbacks, as it’s much more expensive, but I think the cost is worth.

Although I'd really prefer fun to drive cars, just not the civics though, sorry
    Also have a flexible budget, as long as it's a reasonable first car

Tldr;
    1. Japanese cars
    2. Preferably the less common cars (although more expensive parts)
    3. Sporty look and feel
    4. Ease of Maintenance (especially not BMW-level expenses)
    5. Less prioritized, but good fuel economy as well
    6. Planning to own this for 4-5 years sa college, not sure after though

Any thoughts? And could anyone recommend other cars I should look into? Either Brand new or Second Hand(tuner cars)

Thanks in advance.
    Oh how I love your dilemma. [emoji28]

Are you only looking for a sedan? I suppose among the mainstream compacts, the easiest to tune would be the ubiquitous Civic. FD's are getting down to just 200+k nowadays, and the drivetrain is known to be able to take loads of power even with stock internals.

Less common and still sporty would probably have to go to the Mazda 3. Not the best in power, but definitely well designed and built.

Or, you can go for a diesel PPV. Reflash is all the rage lately, and just a 25k tune will get you as many horses as a turbo kit in some normally aspirated, gasoline applications.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Yeah, it is kind of very specific.
    Well any hatch, sedan or coupe will do actually

Anyways I'm still working on saving for it so it'll take some time
    Honestly really tired of civics though, I've driven and seen them hundreds of times already

(also have a flexible budget though)

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Yeah, it is kind of very specific.
    Well any hatch, sedan or coupe will do actually

Anyways I'm still working on saving for it so it'll take some time
    Honestly really tired of civics though, I've driven and seen them hundreds of times already

(also have a flexible budget though)
    That is still a very wide variety though, as it seems any year model of any hatch, sedan or coupe is fair game.

When you mentioned fuel efficiency, how many km/L is considered acceptable for you? 6 and above perhaps?

Are you considering converted JDM? Like a Toyota bB or a Mazda RX8? They are not very expensive, population is not as high, and since you have connections, you should not have any problem with sourcing original LHD parts, perhaps from the US.

Or maybe a bit more mainstream, like midsize sedans. Accord or Mazda 6?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    That is still a very wide variety though, as it seems any year model of any hatch, sedan or coupe is fair game.

When you mentioned fuel efficiency, how many km/L is considered acceptable for you? 6 and above perhaps?

Are you considering converted JDM? Like a Toyota bB or a Mazda RX8? They are not very expensive, population is not as high, and since you have connections, you should not have any problem with sourcing original LHD parts, perhaps from the US.

Or maybe a bit more mainstream, like midsize sedans. Accord or Mazda 6?

Yeah, I've been considering this is actually a very broad question, I guess I really haven't decided on the specific models yet.
    Although if you ask me what specific decade, it would be 2000-2010, which is still very broad.
    I thought of living with a rotary before, but when consulting my parents about it (due to their past knowledge), they'd outright refuse a rotary as a first car due to the reliability issues and the possible engine rebuild, not to mention the amount of oil it gulps nor the fuel economy (sick RPMs though), and they don't like converted either, as they said that there were dangers with converted JDMs (experience as well).

Otherwise, I did check out the Mazda and the Accord, and I feel like they're great cars as well. I like the Mazda 6 and 3 but they both felt lacking power (the engine struggled to climb the hill we lived on even on a fixed gear), and I haven't driven the accord.

But do you think a cheap wrx could be a great car? I've been seeing some go below 500k recently, especially the bug-eye and hawkeye versions, or do you have anything else in mind?
    Thanks by the way

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    How about a Miata?[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    toyota 86.
    i don't own one.
    but i'd sure like to.
    Last edited by dr. d; March 1st, 2019 at 12:04 AM.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Yeah, I've been considering this is actually a very broad question, I guess I really haven't decided on the specific models yet.
    Although if you ask me what specific decade, it would be 2000-2010, which is still very broad.
    I thought of living with a rotary before, but when consulting my parents about it (due to their past knowledge), they'd outright refuse a rotary as a first car due to the reliability issues and the possible engine rebuild, not to mention the amount of oil it gulps nor the fuel economy (sick RPMs though), and they don't like converted either, as they said that there were dangers with converted JDMs (experience as well).

Otherwise, I did check out the Mazda and the Accord, and I feel like they're great cars as well. I like the Mazda 6 and 3 but they both felt lacking power (the engine struggled to climb the hill we lived on even on a fixed gear), and I haven't driven the accord.

But do you think a cheap wrx could be a great car? I've been seeing some go below 500k recently, especially the bug-eye and hawkeye versions, or do you have anything else in mind?
    Thanks by the way
    One of our daily drivers is a converted Toyota Granvia, so I am quite aware of the associated problems. I have replaced the steering rack, pretty much the entire front suspension and most of the brake system. Worth it though. Has been with us for over 2 years and 21k kms now, with 3 Baguio trips under its belt. Currently still runs at least 5 days a week.

Extended family owns a 2005 Accord. I don't know what you'd consider powerful, but I find the 2.4 more than decent. In normal city driving, which is to say from idle to around 2500rpm, power delivery feels remarkably similar to my 2007 Santa Fe CRDi. Throttle response is great, transmission very intuitive, and low end torque actually quite decent, especially for a Honda. One of my uncles has apparently done 200 in it when it was younger, so top end power is not too shabby either. FC... Not sure about highway, but usually does 6-7 city if driven reasonably. Oh, and Ronda Rousey had the exact same car! [emoji23]

Don't know much about Subarus, but I do know FC is definitely out the window!

9. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    How about a Miata?[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I’ve also been considering that as well. I haven’t driven it actually, but I’ll try to in the future, as it really costs cheap.
    Thanks, added this as a priority to test I guess lol

10. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    toyota 86.
    i don't own one.
    but i'd sure like to.
    Love boxers, but I do think the 86 is more on the expensive side. I’ll be considering them though if they suddenly lose value, who knows?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Need help with first car