New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    WHy do we say buying a car is the 2nd biggest investment a man can make? I think it should be, "the biggest EXPENSE a man can buy"

After buying your brand new car and once it goes out of the dealership, it automatically depreciates at 20% di ba? So wheres the investment in that?

Unlike house and lot once you get one and after time progresses the value of the said house and lot appreciates and you get your return on investment.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ...and the first biggest investment would be a wife, i suppose? hehehe

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i agree...unless you were living in the 80's and dealing in classic cars where for a short time, prices were actually going up for certain cars like antique ferraris.

house is of course first, along with a business (if you're a businessman)....second, at least for me, would be an education (bachelor's and master's)

mbt, wife is not an investment either - pure expense lang, hehe ;) (kidding of course)

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    actually buying a car means security and transportation that we need today.

My future father-in-law almost got held-up today because he was riding a jeepney on the way home. Daily we hear stories where hold-ups occur on PUVs stealing wallets, purses and celfones.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yeah car is all about expenses not investment

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I agree...
    my dad used to say that a car, no matter how hard you maintain it, depreciates...buy a house!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kaya kahit anung aksesories ang ilagay mo pag binenta mo iyan 2nd hand pa din! napakaliit na value ng aksesories. buti pang alisin mo na lang

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    you can't live in your car, dudes...the overnight parking fees would kill you B).

unless i pang business mo ung ryd, then it's just an expense...and accountants usually consider cars as an expense(to avoid the calculations for depreciation)

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    a car may also mean an investment since you us it for other beneficial means. like transportation of goods, people, etc. u don't directly profit from it with its sale or market value, but u generate "income" by means of ease of transport, mobility, safety, prestige, etc. it can't be quantified, but its felt in a lot of ways. it doesn't become an investment once you don't use it or you simply wreck it. similar to any manufacturing equipment. these things are bulky, expensive, hard to maintain, depreciate fast and not easily disposed of. but since it is used to produce goods for income, it is considered an investment.

i think the saying that "a car would be your 2nd biggest investment" is true since, as you say it, costs a lot to purchase and maintain, 2nd only to your house. But admit it, u use it daily and whenever u see people stranded by the roadside waiting for a crammed jeep or bus just to get home while raining, u say: "buti na lang may kotse ako." now that's your "investment" earning for you.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    totally agree with you guys, cars are mechanical they wear out,
    kaya nga ako i hated when my dad never uses his W123, pini preserve daw niya, sabi ko naman ...preserve??? hanggang kailan??? to me a life of a car is up to 8 years, then benta then buy another used but not that old one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Car: the 2nd biggest investment???