New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualWanderer View Post
    Can you explain why you don't like CVT? What do you think about those newer Jazz/Yaris with MT?
    CVT Transmission Pros & Cons | Certified Transmission Repair
    I'm 1 who wish were as blessed as most here who can ditch & switch cars every few years. Forced to keep em long term...most, we self maintain & grind to the ground.
    CVTs are best bought new & sold after warranty expires or before trouble(irreversible mostly) haunts. They are belt driven; have a limited lifespan(generally shorter than A/Ts); require costly periodic fluid changes to make em behave right, & are non-rebuilable. Once that belt goes or it conks, you'll be looking at a new tranny that could be pricier than the value of the depreciated car hosting it. It's not an IF, but a WHEN thing.
    The MTs are fine. They're the easiest to care for, are rebuildable & most fun in the wide open....not in static traffic.[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by VirtualWanderer View Post
    Can you explain why you don't like CVT? What do you think about those newer Jazz/Yaris with MT?
    these are my concerns.
    compared to the traditional AT and the MT,
    cvts have many small parts. some folks like me, feel that these small parts will not live long, nor will they survive prolonged trauma.

there was a controversial post here, some time back.
    the driver ran over something hard, which caused his CVT to leak. but he still drove on for a few hundred meters, to the gas station.
    the guys there fixed the leak, and put in cvt fluid, and he drove away.
    after some time, his cvt died.
    upon investigation (at the casa?), someone concluded that the cvt fluid the gas boys used, was "not compatible" with the car's cvt.
    some tsikoteers, however, believe that the few hundred meters driven with a dry cvt, was enough to plant the seeds of destruction.
    Last edited by dr. d; June 26th, 2020 at 01:33 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mc.jayronn View Post
    Maybe its the backup sensor. Fortunately, was able to contact someone from mazda nearby, so ayun. Check namin this sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The basic difference between '16 & '18 is the GVC feature. The shocks(updated PN) have comfier damping rates, too. You'll know by the steering wheel. 1st pic is the older w/ rounded spokes. The 2nd pic is from the GVC equipped, more angled spokes. The paddleshifters can be added on units without.... not a deal breaker. You might even get lucky to find 1 equipped w/ factory Android Auto/CarPlay...Ooops, I'll hold back & not confuse you further.[emoji4]
    Good luck, sir.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    these are my concerns.
    compared to the traditional AT and the MT,
    cvts have many small parts. some folks like me, feel that these small parts will not live long, nor will they survive prolonged trauma.

there was a controversial post here, some time back.
    the driver ran over something hard, which caused his CVT to leak. but he still drove on for a few hundred meters, to the gas station.
    the guys there fixed the leak, and put in cvt fluid, and he drove away.
    after some time, his cvt died.
    upon investigation (at the casa?), someone concluded that the cvt fluid the gas boys used, was "not compatible" with the car's cvt.
    some tsikoteers, however, believe that the few hundred meters driven with a dry cvt, was enough to plant the seeds of destruction.
    Also, doc, conventional wisdom will always pair fluid/lube to friction reduction. CVTs defy that & require its fluid to retain friction for the belt to drive them pulleys, not gears. And, we know what happens when there's friction(an exaggerated parallel, think tire on asphalt)...HEAT, STRESS, WEAR, TEAR & eventual EXPIRY. They were never meant to last nor be rebuildable. Great for dealership service job security, right, doc?[emoji4]

5. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Sorry trav. I have to disagree with you on some points.

Yes a CVT is not rebuidable but you paint them to be super fragile, weak and a nightmare. Which they are not. The engineers who build modern CVTs are far better than you, I or anyone in this arm chair forum can ever be.

MOST compact and sub compact cars with autos sold worldwide in the past few years use a CVT.

If they were that fragile, automakers would be sued left and right and recalls would be happening non stop. The cars would stop selling and people would be reverting to the torque converter or manual transmissions. Guess what? The march to even more CVT applications is happening.

The Honda Jazz CVT is an engineering marvel. My friend has the 1st gen Jazz with over 300t km in mileage. Ive ridden and driven it. Its fine.

Every model has its horror stories. But am sorry, CVTs are the present and the future. They are that good. Nostalgia for manuals notwithstanding.

The box economics (these are built mostly for econo cars which get replaced after 15 yrs or so), fuel savings, efficiency, power delivery vs manuals (yes a CVT will win vs a manual in a drag race in the same car) and engineering of CVTs is 2nd to none.

Ive owned 2 Honda Jazz's w CVTs and never had any issues w em ans I drove em really really hard.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by EQAddict; June 26th, 2020 at 08:03 AM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If CVTs are that bad, nobody will be buying a Honda or Subaru or Nissan. Most of the cars in their model lineup have CVTs.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Oh yeah. Forgot i owned an FXT w a CVT. That had no issues too and it had much higher power and torque.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    Sorry trav. I have to disagree with you on some points.

Yes a CVT is not rebuidable but you paint them to be super fragile, weak and a nightmare. Which they are not. The engineers who build modern CVTs are far better than you, I or anyone in this arm chair forum can ever be.

MOST compact and sub compact cars with autos sold worldwide in the past few years use a CVT.

If they were that fragile, automakers would be sued left and right and recalls would be happening non stop. The cars would stop selling and people would be reverting to the torque converter or manual transmissions. Guess what? The march to even more CVT applications is happening.

The Honda Jazz CVT is an engineering marvel. My friend has the 1st gen Jazz with over 300t km in mileage. Ive ridden and driven it. Its fine.

Every model has its horror stories. But am sorry, CVTs are the present and the future. They are that good. Nostalgia for manuals notwithstanding.

The box economics (these are built mostly for econo cars which get replaced after 15 yrs or so), fuel savings, efficiency, power delivery vs manuals (yes a CVT will win vs a manual in a drag race in the same car) and engineering of CVTs is 2nd to none.

Ive owned 2 Honda Jazz's w CVTs and never had any issues w em ans I drove em really really hard.

We all have the freedom of choice, good sir. We can both disagree w/o convincing each other.[emoji4][emoji111]
    CVTs, by build principle, aren't out to outlast the more durable ATs. Sure, there will be proof marvels here & there but CVT sob stories are & will be more common....good thing Ford DCTs came to rank worse.
    CVTs aren't w/o advantages as you mentioned, but on my balance, the cons just outweigh them. These are costlier to maintain(require more fluid changes in their service lifetime) & will expire w/o the rebuild option.
    Those who hold on too long will eventually end up w/ the painful dilemma of having to to shell an impractical amount out for tranny replacement on a car that could be bought for less used & whole....Or sacrificially sell an immobile automobile. Buying USED is like volunteering to hold a ticking time bomb.
    Owning CVTs for a few years is one thing, owning them longterm is another. I've chosen to stay away coz I do the latter & deem rebuildability an ownership requisite...Born hobo & forced sentimental, here sir.[emoji4]....& I don't mind being ganged up on by them owners/defenders.[emoji16][emoji111]

9. Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    The basic difference between '16 & '18 is the GVC feature. The shocks(updated PN) have comfier damping rates, too. You'll know by the steering wheel. 1st pic is the older w/ rounded spokes. The 2nd pic is from the GVC equipped, more angled spokes. The paddleshifters can be added on units without.... not a deal breaker. You might even get lucky to find 1 equipped w/ factory Android Auto/CarPlay...Ooops, I'll hold back & not confuse you further.[emoji4]
    Good luck, sir.

If I’m able to find that hidden gem with carplay. Dang! No questions asked, as long as the budget permits.[emoji1787]

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    are CVTs used in trucks?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast