New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Basta do not buy any car model 2009 and below. ONDOY. Period.

I'd go with the montero gls-v.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mowraj View Post
    My mom prefers fortuner/montero. Primarily becoz of the ride height (well we live near UST ) bahain masyado and sitting capacity. With around 500-700k budget (but I think she will opt for downpayment then 1-2year term if possible pag payment. Ang bigat pag full amount well dat depends) Im slowly trying to learn more about cars (pati engine specs etc) so I'll know what to relay sa aming mechanic na cousin tsaka para alam ko rin yung papasukin naming transaction.

Is there a model/variant guys and gals na you can suggest based on the given preferences??
    If the entire amount is readily available, I would suggest you avoid the loans. The terms for used cars are not favorable.

You can get a newer Montero than a Fortuner. With the Fortuner, 500-700 will only get you a 1st gen, if I'm not mistaken.

If you do not go off road, and the vehicle will be mostly for city driving, I suppose the GLS-V will suffice.

If you will not be charging head first into floods all the time, might I suggest the Santa Fe as well. Your budget will get you the Gen 2.5 and above. Much more refined than either of the two, has lots more power, and will cross most floods just fine.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post

If you will not be charging head first into floods all the time, might I suggest the Santa Fe as well. Your budget will get you the Gen 2.5 and above. Much more refined than either of the two, has lots more power, and will cross most floods just fine.

Unfortunately ts lives around UST. Floods. Sta Fe (and its twin Sorento) have abs sensor assemblies that do not like water. 2015 price was 11k a pop for the rear wheels, labor included. Front is cheaper as only the sensor is replaced.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    Unfortunately ts lives around UST. Floods. Sta Fe (and its twin Sorento) have abs sensor assemblies that do not like water. 2015 price was 11k a pop for the rear wheels, labor included. Front is cheaper as only the sensor is replaced.
    ABS is still working on my 12 year old. One of the best braking systems I've ever encountered in fact. Under what circumstances did the ABS system fail? Is there a certain flood depth or wading duration? I was not aware of this issue.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mowraj View Post
    My mom prefers fortuner/montero. Primarily becoz of the ride height (well we live near UST ) bahain masyado and sitting capacity. With around 500-700k budget (but I think she will opt for downpayment then 1-2year term if possible pag payment. Ang bigat pag full amount well dat depends) Im slowly trying to learn more about cars (pati engine specs etc) so I'll know what to relay sa aming mechanic na cousin tsaka para alam ko rin yung papasukin naming transaction.

Is there a model/variant guys and gals na you can suggest based on the given preferences??
    Yung 4m41 na bilhin mo mas matipid at sa power swabeng swabe nasa 2008-2011 model nga lang inilabas yon nasa 550k na lang ata ang price market. 700-800k SUV

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    ABS is still working on my 12 year old. One of the best braking systems I've ever encountered in fact. Under what circumstances did the ABS system fail? Is there a certain flood depth or wading duration? I was not aware of this issue.

It was sorento. My wife got caught in España for 2 hours in half-wheel height flood. 2 months later abs light goes on and diagnosed as the right rear abs assembly. Replaced. Another month passed then it was the left rear abs assembly.

Fyi, hyundai sta fe and kia sorento share the same parts. In fact the box that the parts came in had hyundai markings. The kia quezon ave service center told me they had replaced many abs assemblies on santa fe's and sorentos (santa fe owners go to them because they are the only shop that can reset the abs warning light and they also sell the parts cheaper than hyundai) They said it is a known weakness, that the assemblies can't be submerge in water for long periods.

The abs assembly we are talking about here is that assembly where the rear wheels and brake disks are attached to. It includes the rear wheel bearing and shaft, and the abs gear and sensor.

7. Join Date
    May 2014
    I'd like to add, if it is a (roughly) 5 year old unit that is most likely diesel (be it Fortuner or Montero), it might be close to needing a timing belt replacement.

For the Montero specifically, booklet and MMPC recommends replacement of Timing Belt at 70k to 90k kms odometer reading. I'm not sure for the Fortuner.

At 5 years old as well, better check the age of the tires as well. There would be a manufacturing date printed on it. Even if the tire doesn't look worn, it might no longer be good for long drives as there might not be much flex left in the rubber. The stock tires that came with our Montero lasts around 60k kms ( I cross checked the internet for it's wear and it was also stated around that region).

The cost to replace the rubber with equivalent Bridgestone is around 10k php per tire back then, I'm not sure if there have been adjustments or increases for the size of tire. Current gen Montero has a slightly larger tire size compared to the previous gen (excluding the TOTL which came with the same size).

So just something to keep in mind.

As for the Fortuner, if you are mainly going to use the car in the city, maybe the 2.7 VVti Fortuner might be an option to consider. Not only does it cost less to acquire one second hand, there is no timing belt to replace per my recollection, and it doesnt have to deal with issues of failing an emission test, plus it is a quieter ride. The main issue of the Gas Fortuner is the lack of power when fully loaded and going uphill.

I am not a fan of the braking characteristics of the disc/drum tuning of the Fortuner as well as suspension tuning (no matter what they claim even to this day). I prefer the suspension, as well as the foam of the seats of the Montero even if the Montero has thinner seats when I do a visual check. =)

8. Join Date
    Mar 2019
    I think di na ako susugal sa santa fe kasi yikes bahain talaga sa ust. Altho if ever I can find an elevated parking garage for rent near us, we might consider this.

Thanks everyone.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by leoleo.amisola View Post
    Hi sir/ma'am, I'm Leo po from Foton Balintawak po. I would like to offer you po sana with great discounts and promotions for our passenger, light duty/heavy duty trucks po. I would gladly assist you and provide you the information that you would need for your personal use or business needs po. Once again I'm Leo and you can contact me at [moderator snip] Have a wonderful day po.
    ATTN: ADMIN

Di ba bawal yan dito. Ban na yan o.

On another note, don't buy from the enemy! Foton is china, pambibili lang ng missile na nakatutok sa pinas yung perang ibabayad mo.
    Last edited by _Cathy_; March 7th, 2019 at 08:33 PM. Reason: user banned

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    That's a far reaching thought.

Pambili lang yan ng buhangin sa pinas na itatambak sa aagawin nilang isla sa atin....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast