New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Hi sirs... need your help and expertise on my car audio. Im not even sure if its the setup thats the problem or the HU itself.

Basically my HU is a pioneer DEH 2950... entry level HU with aux and mp3 in-dash. My main source of music is my creative vision m player which I plug via a 3.5 to 3.5 jack connector to the HU. my jack connector is already gold tipped so its a high end jack.

Anyway, sound is really good (together with mu subs, amp, and custom EQ in my player) however I noticed that in some songs (or probably most of the songs which I fail to notice since it's too negligible already), some instruments can't be heard. Even in some songs, the voice can't be heard.

When I half unplug the jack from the head unit, the missing instrument would be heard, however compromising the stereo sound turning it into mono.... but again the missing instrument sound or voice will be heard.

Just to give you some examples, when the jack is fully plugged to the HU, I won't be able to hear the guitar solo in my sharona, or the harmonica intro in crazy (by aerosmith).... I half unplug the jack, then I will be able to hear the solo and the harmonica (but the rest of the song will sound like mono)

I hope I was able to explain the problem clearly and hopefully you could suggest solutions to this problem.

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    It seems that you have the wrong kind of plug. Although you may have the right size (3.5mm), you must have the correct number of poles for each plug.

An ordinary stereo ear/headphone plug has 3 poles ... one each for the left channel, right channel and ground. Some devices need a fourth pole, ex: a control line for the device.

If your HU needs a 3-pole plug, use a 3-pole plug at that end. Consult your HU manual for the required plug.

If your MP3 player needs a 4-pole plug, use a 4-pole plug for that end. TIP: The supplied headphones should tell you how many poles it requires.

HTH

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Thanks sir, i'll look into this!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    there are many possible causes for your problem...

here is what you should do to verify...

try burning a CD MP3 that contains the same music where you experience missing sounds... then check if it will recur to what you have described..

if it has possible that you have a problem on either left or right channel of your system... try controlling the balance from left to right and check if they have equal sound output...

if it has not recur possible cause of the problem is the jack you are using.. use another jack and compare... also check your player sound output via earphone and check if the sound you are referring as missing will be heard..

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix View Post
    It seems that you have the wrong kind of plug. Although you may have the right size (3.5mm), you must have the correct number of poles for each plug.

An ordinary stereo ear/headphone plug has 3 poles ... one each for the left channel, right channel and ground. Some devices need a fourth pole, ex: a control line for the device.

If your HU needs a 3-pole plug, use a 3-pole plug at that end. Consult your HU manual for the required plug.

If your MP3 player needs a 4-pole plug, use a 4-pole plug for that end. TIP: The supplied headphones should tell you how many poles it requires.

HTH
    Whoa! I didn't know this! Very informative. Thanks! I have the very same problem but I'm experiencing it with my PC

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    You're welcome siacojin.

It's the way the contacts inside the socket are laid out ... that when you have a plug and socket mismatch, a line will either be shorted or left unconnected. Hence, the problem happymeal18 is experiencing.

---

I've browsed the Zen Vision M website and indeed, the device uses a 4-pole 35mm connector.

You may have difficulties finding a 3-to-4 pole plug adaptor and vice versa, and a harder time for a pre-wired cable. So I've drawn up a simple diagram. You can use an existing stereo patch cable (3 poles) or one with a 4-pole plug on each end ... it doesn't matter because you don't need the 4th wire, and you only need to replace one plug.

The 3-pole plug goes to your Pioneer HU, and the 4-pole plug goes to the Zen Vision M player.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    thanks for this. Anyway, when i use earphones on my vision m, its just an ordinary 3 pole jack, and the sound is complete. Does this mean the HU really has a bearing on the completeness of the sound?

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    In that case, you better check the integrity of the cable with an ohmmeter, testing for continuity from tip to tip, and for any shorts.

You can also try turning off any sound enhancement feature of the HU and see what happens.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    i experience this a lot. its usually loose lang. i just got a new cable then ok na. but ang galing nga nyan minsan eh. klarong klaro yung backup vocals.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Probably polarity issues. Maaring may cancellation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast