New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    hi! medyo newbie ako sa car audio systems so...

my ride is an all stock corolla 93 GLi. I was planning to replace my stock rear speakers with a sony xplod 6"x9" 3 way speaker (300 W yata) that i chanced upon in the mall. my head unit is the stock apline unit (I THINK 25w output??) with its corresponding CD changer. i just want louder and clearer music not really the boom-boom type. my question is is this set-up possible, meaning can i just buy the speaker and connect its wires to the head unit? or do i still have to buy other additional stuff such as an amplifier, etc. budget? let's just say extremely nice audio systems are not an immediate priority. kung baga, minor upgrade lang talaga. thanks for the replies!

jaisdlp: first of all I don't think 300watts is an accurate number, its not the nominal power rating only the peak power rating. 2nd for a crisp sounding system you will NEED an amplifier, your HU won't cut it, it will only give out around 15w RMS. Just my .02

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    thnx for the reply. i wasn;t able to note the 300W but i do think its around that area. but, would the sound quality change from stock speakers to the xplod speakers?

i wasn;t able to note the 300W but i do think its around that area
    Believe me my friend it isn't even close to that, even high priced component speakers like Focal and Morel won't give you 300W RMS, and also don't rely to much on that for sound quality, you'd have to audition different speakers and let your ears deside which is better.

would the sound quality change from stock speakers to the xplod speakers?
    it will improve but not much. Your HU will give you 15w RMS but if you stretch it will clip meaning sound quality will suffer. Better get an amplifier to power those babies

alpine head unit to an xplod speaker???