New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Here, I'm talking about a Porsche 911 rival. They make brilliant engines and chassis, but missed out on one model that could have been a proper GT. The current M3 coupe is still not a pure sports car, while the 6-Series is too big it's more of a luxury car. The 911 Carrera S can beat an M6 in a twisty road despite the latter having over a hundred hp more.

A true GT has to have not just great power, but also usable power. The 911 is around for over 40 years now, and they're getting closer and closer to perfecting it. Current models are also very dependable already. It's now the all-around personal car - an everyday driver that can also be used to unadulterated fun.

I'm pretty sure BMW can create something like that, and perhaps even sell at a cheaper price than the Porsche. Other small manufacturers like Morgan outsource engines from them, like the powerful 4.4-liter V8 seen in the X5. The defunct Z8 had enough to go head-to-head with a Ferrari 360, but for some reason, it didn't draw as many fans as expected. The 8-Series also wasn't that successful following the fame of the original 6-Series in the 80s. So I guess 8 isn't really a lucky number for them.

Yes, I'm thinking of a Z6. If they can come up with something as nimble as a 911, with a range of powerful engines to boot, it will certainly be great. They've got the philosophy already, so why not?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    porsche...there is no substitute.

porsche has cornered that market already, so few dare to venture in. besides, how can you improve on perfection?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Simple, they're not interested in that market.

Honestly, such markets don't make a lot of money.

4. Join Date
    May 2004
    madaming mas mahusay at sikat na kalaban

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    But for a name like BMW, sometimes should they focus not only on profitability, but also on pride.

Volkswagen, for example, created the Bugatti Veyron, the fastest car, or the fastest car that would ever be on the earth, for the sake of a "Technical Exercise" rather than making a profit from it.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    prestige and profit. maybe thats enough for them.

IMO the M5/M6 alone beats the Porsche Cayman S or 911. and i hate how all porsches look 90% the same.
    Last edited by BlueBimmer; December 18th, 2005 at 10:31 AM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Pride has little to do with coming out with a coupe when you have a 4-door sedan that can go toe-to-toe to a 911 anyway. That's a bigger accomplishment for them than coming out with a coupe.

In addition, there's no direct match up for 911s anyway until others start coming up with rear mounted boxer engines.

Their market rival is MB, Audi, Lexus and Jag... I think they'll stick to that.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    yep, when you say BMW, Porsche isnt exactly the first rival auto manufacturer that comes to mind. more like MERC and AUDI.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelparadigm
    Volkswagen, for example, created the Bugatti Veyron, the fastest car, or the fastest car that would ever be on the earth, for the sake of a "Technical Exercise" rather than making a profit from it.

saw that car on Top Gear... 1000hp factory stock.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    GH: Hehe, I don't think anyone will be attempting to "UPGRADE" it with IHE hahaha

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Why no proper coupe for BMW?