New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    But with 40k mileage only, it shouldn't be that old right? The owner is a relative of mine so I trust the car's history. My original budget is 300-500k for a 2nd hand but since it's better to buy a used car from someone you know, kaya I went for this.

I read AutoIndustriya's review on 2004 MSPORT, it has 148 bHP. Am I wrong on this? Would you prefer buying a 2009 GTA instead? And yes part of the reason I want to buy this is because of porma

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    if you really want it, go ahead. in my opinion, the E46 and E39 are the last simple to maintain BMW sedans. not too much electronics, still have a full size spare tire and an oil dip stick. the interiors are a personal preference. some don't like it because it is very simple, so like it because it is simple. if you are into modifying cars, this is not for you since you will be limited in your options. specially in the Philippines.

be sure to always check and maintain the cooling system. one overheat and it will really burn a big hole in your pocket. don't believe the maintenance free A/T. the fluid still needs to be changed.

for the maintenance cost, it depends on where you get your parts and who does the repairs. normal preventive maintenance items are not much more expensive than any japanese brands. sensors are known to fail. does not cost much for each sensor, but annoying. don't expect all the parts that you need is readily available. some need to be ordered and it may take weeks.

since it is a relative, ask for a test drive on your daily / normal routes. check out the fuel consumption and the performance if it is up to your standards and expectations.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by koji kabuto View Post
    if you really want it, go ahead. in my opinion, the E46 and E39 are the last simple to maintain BMW sedans. not too much electronics, still have a full size spare tire and an oil dip stick. the interiors are a personal preference. some don't like it because it is very simple, so like it because it is simple. if you are into modifying cars, this is not for you since you will be limited in your options. specially in the Philippines.

be sure to always check and maintain the cooling system. one overheat and it will really burn a big hole in your pocket. don't believe the maintenance free A/T. the fluid still needs to be changed.

for the maintenance cost, it depends on where you get your parts and who does the repairs. normal preventive maintenance items are not much more expensive than any japanese brands. sensors are known to fail. does not cost much for each sensor, but annoying. don't expect all the parts that you need is readily available. some need to be ordered and it may take weeks.

since it is a relative, ask for a test drive on your daily / normal routes. check out the fuel consumption and the performance if it is up to your standards and expectations.
    thanks! he told me that when checking if the car has problems, it will automatically come up in the dashboard. is this true?
    i want to have it checked in the casa but he told me no need because if nothing pops in the dashboard then there's nothing to be checked?

just so i have options, i've also seen a 2nd hand 2009 2.0LForester with 52k mileage and casa maintained, but it's from auto-camp and about 100k more expensive. should i go for this instead?

isn't buying a 2nd hand from a known relative more reliable?

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Det7 View Post
    yes part of the reason I want to buy this is because of porma
    If porma is your concern, the BMW trumps the Lancer by a long shot. Just weigh things, if that prestige you get with owning a Bimmer is worth the money you'll be spending to maintain it.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    If porma is your concern, the BMW trumps the Lancer by a long shot. Just weigh things, if that prestige you get with owning a Bimmer is worth the money you'll be spending to maintain it.

my friend said, 09 forester would be more maporma than the MSPORT?

what do you think>

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    BMW will give you a warning in the dashboard if something is wrong. but it will not give you warnings for all defects or malfunctions. it will be good to have it scanned with a code reader via the OBD port. an example is the MAF, it needed to be replaced but no indications on the dashboard. only found out when i had it scanned.

the forester is also nice. but that is a completely different car compared to the e46. i would also like to have one of those. it also has its plus factors like AWD, modern technology, etc. but it is not necessarily more fuel efficient.

speaking of porma, the forester can be modded a lot more than the e46. you can customise it to suit your taste and styling. for the e46, mags lang ok na. kasi yung are already looking at the msport, wala ka na kelangan gawin sa exterior. even when it comes to performance modifications, mas madami ka options for the subaru.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    For 700k? If you want a toy? Try an older Forester. Something like an 07 Forester XT will cost some 700-800k pesos.

Porma? Check.

Features? (Sunroof! Hood scoop!) Check.

Power? Hell YES.

Uncommon. Unusual. Only extra maintenance over a regular Fozzie is the extra oil you need for the oil change. Parts not as expensive as the BMW. You'll even get similar fuel economy to the underpowered 318 in traffic. The 318 might steer a bit nicer, but there are a hell of a lot of dress-up, suspension and performance upgrades available for the older Forester XT. Better yet, the 07's automatic transmission is considered to be more reliable after modification than the previous generation one. The "STI" conversion is a popular one... give it bronze metallic OZ-style rims, lower it, give it more boost, and you've got something that's flashy, fast and funky.

Last edited by niky; May 28th, 2013 at 12:13 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Porma is a personal thing. A lot of enthusiasts will see more merit with a Forester, since you get more car for the same money. Mainstream people will find the BMW more appealing, because duh, it's a BMW.

Probably not a good idea to decide which is more maporma based on what others say. What's more maporma to you?

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Porma is a personal thing. A lot of enthusiasts will see more merit with a Forester, since you get more car for the same money. Mainstream people will find the BMW more appealing, because duh, it's a BMW.

Probably not a good idea to decide which is more maporma based on what others say. What's more maporma to you?
    exactly!

the STI forester in one nice SUV/CUV

don't buy a car based on what others want. we have given you our opinions, it is now up to you to decide.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002

+1

Porma is in the eye of the beholder. :D

a forester will get you raves from enthusiast but others might label it as a soccer mom mobile / family man mobile (stigma on small suv/cuv).
    By the way a fil-Am friend of mine once told me that the previous 1st gen generation Forrester had a stigma of being a 'gay car' in the US. don't know if this is true thou.

a Bmw M sport will always have that bmw mark attached to it and people especially the non car folks will always find it more "maporma" .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast