New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/912445.asp...amp;cp1=1#BODY

I'd be hard-pressed to defend i-drive and their use of Windows CE after this...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Full text, in case MSN pull the article out:

Computer failure traps Thai minister
    Guards break window to extract minister from BMW limousine

BANGKOK, Thailand, May 12 — Security guards smashed their way into an official limousine with sledgehammers on Monday to rescue Thailand’s finance minister after his car’s computer failed.

SUCHART JAOVISIDHA and his driver were trapped inside the BMW for more than 10 minutes before guards broke a window. All doors and windows had locked automatically when the computer crashed, and the air-conditioning stopped, officials said.

“We could hardly breathe for over 10 minutes,” Suchart told reporters. “It took my guard a long time to realise that we really wanted the window smashed so that we could crawl out. It was a harrowing experience.”

© 2003 Reuters Limited.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    kasi may computer pa ang kotse nila. :mrgreen: kung walang computer, di yan mangyayari :lol:

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    hmm..mukhang malaki ang babayaran ng bmw na damages dun...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    depends... if its a custom job done my a 3rd party... bmw will not be responsible.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Pwede mo naman buksan ang power door lock manually, nag panic lang agad.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SiAKOL
    Pwede mo naman buksan ang power door lock manually, nag panic lang agad.
    no din, kasi may double lock mechanism... i tried sa 316i e36 pag na lock ka inside tapos ang nag lock yung alarm hindi ka talaga makakalabas.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The problem with the i-Drive is that it's complicated, and relies on unreliable software (Windows CE). I have nothing against using computers for managing a car... airplanes wouldn't be as safe as they are today without computers. What's bad here is you have a complex system running on an unreliable base. If something fails, everything fails and that's very bad... Imagine if Windows crashed while you were driving at 200kph!

The drawback is that modern consumer operating systems do not have a failsafe mode. Windows, MacOSX, even Linux won't know what to do in case a program goes awry and crashes. Flight control systems use a proprietary OS where all points of failure are mapped out. For every possible case, the computer will always have a fallback plan. IMO BMW was incredibly naive to think they can just substitue a consumer OS for what should be a fail-safe system, and using Windows, no less!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by splerdu
    The drawback is that modern consumer operating systems do not have a failsafe mode. Windows, MacOSX, even Linux won't know what to do in case a program goes awry and crashes. Flight control systems use a proprietary OS where all points of failure are mapped out. For every possible case, the computer will always have a fallback plan. IMO BMW was incredibly naive to think they can just substitue a consumer OS for what should be a fail-safe system, and using Windows, no less!
    true....its difficult enough to get various systems to work on a car even if all those systems were developed in-house, sasabayan pa nila ng 3rd part software to handle those systems. dami masyadong open variables kapag ganun....

10. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    windows is not fit for real-time systems, they should have used java and unix technologies for this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
BMW computer failure traps Thai minister