New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed
    besides, kaya nga sya automatic, if you need to shift to 2,3,4 all the time, then din na sya automatic hehe
    bwahaha...tell that to my brother-in-law, he shifts his AT car into neutral everytime he stops at a light

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered
    bwahaha...tell that to my brother-in-law, he shifts his AT car into neutral everytime he stops at a light
    isn't that done to preserve the life of the tranny?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i honestly don't know. i never heard that it had any kind of benefit...i do make it a point to tell him that he looks silly though

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    that's not good for the converter. never move the shifter unless the car is in full stop. it's there in the manual of all AT cars

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed
    that's not good for the converter. never move the shifter unless the car is in full stop. it's there in the manual of all AT cars
    pero ang sabi naman ni M54... nilalagay lang kapag nasa stoplight (so meaning full stop).

6. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    4 - if the road is steep (upwards)
    3 - if the road is steeper
    2 - if the road is steepest

7. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    considering traffic here in manila, i do that too. but only because i want to take my foot off the pedal to relax.

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    is this bad? i do this most of the time, most specially when i know green's gonna take some time.
    easier on the brake pads too i think

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by andrei
    is this bad? i do this most of the time, most specially when i know green's gonna take some time.
    easier on the brake pads too i think
    i don't know...the only reason i brought it up is because i think it looks silly to have an automatic and still be constantly moving your shifter while driving :D

then again i live in florida and it's rare to be sitting in a complete standstill in traffic for more than 30 sec - 1 min.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    RE: Saving the tranny

its done on uphill, downhill, and engine brake to actually save the tranny.

Another time to manually downshift is on long uphill climbs. Keeping the transmission in high gear can cause the engine to lug and it may start to overheat. Use a lower gear selection to aid engine power. It can also save your automatic transmission. Many automatics will not downshift until the throttle is pressed nearly to the floor but before the transmission downshifts, the torque converter has already unlocked to provide a hydraulic multiplication of engine power.
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/030806.htm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
BMW auto transmission D-2-3-4