New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    It has been posted somewhere in this forum that if you plan to buy a bmw you better prepare to spend another P60,000 or more on maintenance. Of course, depending on the condition of the car, it could be more.

I think it would help people considering a bmw if those with experience or information to share their views.

Let's limit discussions to a 1995-98 bmw. A 316i, 318i and 320i. For each particular model, what potential problems should a prospective buyer look for or be conscious about? Considering the age of each model, what likely problems should a buyer prepare for and how much would it cost, detailed or total?

If also possible, how much should one prepare to spend in an average year for regular maintenance and usual wear and tear?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    P60,000 sound about right. For a 10 yr old car you will have to look at replacing the wheel bearings, the shock absorbers, the tie rods, and bascially everything that has to do with your suspension. Plus the AC should be giving out already so prepare to replace the compressor, evaporator, and dryer. Depending on the replacement parts you're looking at getting, the price can be from P60,000 to P100,000, but after all these expenses, you're bounc to have another 10 yrs of problem free driving. You don't have to worry about the engine or transmission at all.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by seonadancing View Post
    P60,000 sound about right. For a 10 yr old car you will have to look at replacing the wheel bearings, the shock absorbers, the tie rods, and bascially everything that has to do with your suspension. Plus the AC should be giving out already so prepare to replace the compressor, evaporator, and dryer. Depending on the replacement parts you're looking at getting, the price can be from P60,000 to P100,000, but after all these expenses, you're bounc to have another 10 yrs of problem free driving. You don't have to worry about the engine or transmission at all.
    Frankly, for a 1995-98 bmw, P60,000-100,000 seems OK for another 10 years of problem free or almost problem free driving. Add to the base price of the car of P300,000-400,000 (1995-98 model) total half M or less for a bmw. It is really impossible not to replace wear and tear parts.

Now, I guess the problem is to find a bmw that has no hidden problem that requires a major repair.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    For a 13 year old, you'd be looking to spend on:

1. Underchassis repairs. Control arms, stabilizer links, tie rods, bushings, springs, and shocks. Check that there is no damage to the frame, especially E36s.

2. Brakes. Brake rotors and pads.

3. Cooling system. Serpentine belt, pulleys, coolant and water pump.

4. Aircon. Many have reported aircon problems for a car this old.

5. Window regulators.

6. Change all fluids.

7. Air filter change

Unless previous owner tells you what he had changed recently, you're looking at doing the above maintenance activities.

Once that's done, enjoy the ride for a long time.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I had all these done or replaced in the past 2 years except for the window regulators =)

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Any recos where? Casa or non-casa since already out of warranty?

If it were you where would you take it? And why? And what has experience taught you?

Any places to recommend for a new used e36 owner?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    From some BMW owners, I have heard of a shop called TOP GEAR which is located somewhere in QC. They said the service is good and the labor/parts aren't as expensive sa compared to BMW casa prices.

95-98 BMW: How much budget for initial maintenance?