New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Hi guys! I just had HPG clearance done for my car where they removed portions of the paint on the chassis number as part of macro-etching.

I read here (https://www.topgear.com.ph/features/...p-a44-20170927) that bringing a spray paint is recommended to prevent that area from rusting. I just wanted to confirm though that spraying it directly on the affected is okay? No need for sanding or any base primer needed?

Also, I'm looking at this Samurai spray paint available in Lazada as it seems to have the closest matching color that I want. Samurai paint is originally intended for motorcycles, but the retailer I asked said it's also okay for car. Please also help confirm?

Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    how do you think that the spray paint knows that it's on a car instead of a motorcycle

3. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    btw i've tried Samurai paints. even their 1k is already much better than bosny etc

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i'd prepare the area well first, to remove the paint-stripping chemicals, before i apply the paint.
    that will ensure a more long-lasting repair.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    how do you think that the spray paint knows that it's on a car instead of a motorcycle
    Haha that was my initial thought too but then I had doubts as Samurai paint is barely, if never, mentioned in all of the tsikot forums. I was thinking what if car and motorcycle paint is formulated differently due to different needs, e.g. Samurai paint touts itself as gas and bend resistant - properties I don't see in the other more traditional car spray paints.

So, just wanted to be certain Good to know it has worked well for you!

Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i'd prepare the area well first, to remove the paint-stripping chemicals, before i apply the paint.
    that will ensure a more long-lasting repair.
    How do I ensure that the paint-stripping chemicals are all gone? It's been a few days and the area seems dry.

I was a bit concerned that the surface is smooth, hence the queries if any prep work is needed.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by polemicducky View Post

How do I ensure that the paint-stripping chemicals are all gone? It's been a few days and the area seems dry.

I was a bit concerned that the surface is smooth, hence the queries if any prep work is needed.
    i would wash the area well, using plain water. i'd use a metal brush on the edges, and pull away loose paint, to ensure that no chemical stays hidden under it.
    if i wanted a better job, i'd use some anti-rust or "red lead" first.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i would wash the area well, using plain water. i'd use a metal brush on the edges, and pull away loose paint, to ensure that no chemical stays hidden under it.
    if i wanted a better job, i'd use some anti-rust or "red lead" first.
    thank you! will keep these in mind