New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    I'm extremely interested in a DIY detailing project for my car. However, after having read many forums and message boards on the Net, I find that I am still confused as to what is the proper order for paint detailing a vehicle. Maybe I've been reading too many posts of experts who, after learning the ins and outs of car detailing, are now experimenting with their own processes. What I'd really like to learn is the basic and simple, yet comprehensive chronology by which I can make wonders to my car's paint.

For instance, I know that I have to start with washing/shampooing and cleaning the body of the car. Here, I apply the shampoo, of which there are several available brands in the market. In the process, this is where detailing clay may be used, if it is available. Thereafter, I apply the cleaner (that would be step 1 - I hope I'm correct).

The polish comes next, this being step 2. And then step 3 would be waxing.

But I do have some questions:

1. Where and when would a glaze be helpful? What is the purpose of a glaze?

2. Should I want to incorporate a sealant in the over-all plan, do I use this in lieu of the wax? I've read some threads where both the wax and the sealant are used. And if both are used, does the wax go over the sealant or the sealant over the wax?

3. I've read some threads, albeit foreign, that some fancy, and likely expensive, products like Klasse All-In-One are used. Just exactly what does the AIO substitute for? Does it take the place of Step 1?

Well, these are the questions that I have at the moment. Don't get me wrong. I don't expect to start using all those fancy products. Not in a long time. It's just that I've been doing some studying on the matter (detailing), and I would really like to get things straight before I get my feet wet. I think it would be best that I prepare myself with the proper knowledge first before I dare do anything on my car's paint.

I do hope that somebody can educate me and satisfy my curiosity. Maybe somebody among the detailing gurus can help out a struggling newbie who's awefully interested in making his ride look real good.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    i hope this site can help you........http://groups.msn.com/pinasdetailing

3. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    I've read through pinasdetailing. I'm a little below their league. They're experts compared to me. I was sort of hoping somebody could explain the basic idiotic questions that I have. But thanks, anyway, x-wind. I appreciate your effort.
    Last edited by groucho; January 12th, 2004 at 11:21 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Pareho tayong may detailing plans. But to me, it is just all
    plans because it takes so much time to go through all of that.
    Kaya, I am only able to do those 3-step things quite rarely
    like once a year either on a Maundy Thursday or a Good Friday..
    I just follow the basics:
    1- Paint Cleaner
    2 - Polish
    3 - Wax
    Detailing is also a good form of recreation though.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Groucho: I suggest you download the little detailing guide I made for newbies at http://groups.msn.com/PinasDetailing...documents.msnw Hope that helps...

Fore newbies, I suggest going the non-abrasive route before jumping down to using machines and abrasives since they're more confusing to understand to use correctly. By consumer items, I mean purchasing items off the shelf that can be used by hand. They usually come in a system kit such as Mother's 123 and Meg 123 systems... They're pretty much fool proof and gives good results.

It's also important to have realistic expectations... I mean, if the paint is in really bad shape, done expect a novice job will do the trick or a session or two of weekend detailing will do the whole shebang... take your time and learn as you go... Don't rely on brand image, it means nothing if not used as directed (whether it's a match for your paint problem or the actual usage of the product).

With your questions...

1. Where and when would a glaze be helpful? What is the purpose of a glaze?
    It's in the document I posted... Basically a glaze fills swirls and acts like a very fine polish that lays ontop of the paint to create a flat surface. Provides very little protection and washes off in a couple of washes. Best to use before waxing and after polishing.

2. Should I want to incorporate a sealant in the over-all plan, do I use this in lieu of the wax? I've read some threads where both the wax and the sealant are used. And if both are used, does the wax go over the sealant or the sealant over the wax?
    A sealant replaces a wax in function, it acts the same way as a wax, which is provide a sacrificial layer for the paint for damages to land on. But a sealant lasts a lot longer. It's best not to use both in order to maximize the properties of each product's qualities... If you use a wax on top of a sealant, usually the sealant's durability suffers... If you use a wax over a sealant, you're just wasting sealant coz the sealant will not bond to anything other than solid paint.

3. I've read some threads, albeit foreign, that some fancy, and likely expensive, products like Klasse All-In-One are used. Just exactly what does the AIO substitute for? Does it take the place of Step 1?
    Klasse, Zaino, etc are all synthetics that takes more knowledge to understand what they're specialties are, but the secret to great looking paint is still polishing and compounding (if needed), all the best topping products (sealants and waxes) just enhances what's underneath (the paint itself). AIO is an all in one cleaner, polish and acrylic sealant. Think of it as a synthetic cleaner wax... If AIO is out of your reach in terms of availability (although we do sell them), you can try Mother's Reflections. It's a good combo sealant but not that durable nor effective with paint defects, but great product nonetheless.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hindi ba paint cleaning and polishing is the same?

what exactly are the steps in megs 123 n mothers 123? hehe to refresh memory lang..i may be thinking of a different thing ksi eh hehe

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Dragon: No it's not the same, just download the documents and read through it first.
    As for Meg's and Mothers, just check out their websites. It's quite straightforward on it's label descriptions.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    I'm like TJMaxx in some respects. Because of work, I am unable to do much in the garage except for holidays and extended weekends. But I like to fancy myself as a weekend DIYer, and car detailing is one of the things I like dabbling in. During my free time last Christmas, I was able to pretty much clean mine, my wife's, and two other cars' engines and tried to make them look like those photos you see in detailing websites. While I am sure my work is not as meticulous as those of the professionals, there is this sense of pride, fulfillment, and accomplishment that I get from what I have done.

I've been using Megs' Deep Crystal 3 Steps for a couple of years now. So, while I'm a relative greenhorn to the more advanced and fancier aspects of detailing, I'm not exactly a virgin when it comes to polish and carnauba. I'm probably finished with the kindergarten of detailing. I feel that I can look forward to prep school That is why I am now curious about glazes, sealants, and other types of polishes.

Sir theveed, I'll download your article the moment my application for membership in PinasDetailing is approved. I'm sure I will learn a lot from it. I'll read it first, then maybe post some other questions. But thanks for taking the trouble of answering my initial queries. And thanks for the pointers and the insights.

And I agree with TJMaxx. Detailing is a very good form of recreation. It's actually good therapy for me.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    OT:

Sir theveed, I tried to send you a PM, but it seems that your inbox is full. I can't seem to get to your article about Car Detailing Plans at PinasDetailing. I have already registered with .NET Password. I have also registered with PinasDetailing. I was told to wait na lang for the approval of my application. However, it has been several days already and I have not yet heard whether my application to PinasDetailing has been approved or disapproved. I was sort of looking forward to reading your article.

How would I go about determining the status of my application to PinasDetailing?

Thanks.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I believe your request has been approved last tuesday... I'll check it again, can you send me your email to theveed*msn.com and I'll send you the files personally.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Proper/Correct Detailing Plan