New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Just thinking.. Car replica specially AC Cobra is quite known as a fad in Europe and USA. Medyo mahal nga lang.

Here in pinas Ive seen quite a few replica...

So here is my question
    Have you built one?
    What is your Donor Engine/tranny and Chassis?
    Whats your up and down on your project?
    How much it cost you?
    How long it took you to have it running and road worthy?

Sa mga Guru if you are building one what would you recommend (Donors and body replica)
    What will be your budget?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just to clarify, You are referring to replica KIT cars? It is because you referred to the AC Cobra.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If I were to make one...

Donor car ko would be a 2.0L toyota Corona. Kasi mura resale value niyan so cheaper to acquire.

2.0L engine on a small project car would be good

Toyota parts is easier to find. Siguro I'll allocate anywhere between P200k to 500k for such kit car project.

Kung budget constraint kit car naman, I'll use a chop-up wagon-R wide... 1.0L engine and would cost less than P100k to acquire. So ang total project cost is probably mahal na sa P300k

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If I was to make one... I'll take the Nissan SR20DET with 4WD system.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    Kung budget constraint kit car naman, I'll use a chop-up wagon-R wide... 1.0L engine and would cost less than P100k to acquire. So ang total project cost is probably mahal na sa P300k
    1.0L engine on an AC Cobra replica? Or were you talking about other replicas. A 1.0L engine is more suitable for a smaller car like an Austin-Healey "Frogeye" Sprite replica.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by donbuggy View Post
    1.0L engine on an AC Cobra replica? Or were you talking about other replicas. A 1.0L engine is more suitable for a smaller car like an Austin-Healey "Frogeye" Sprite replica.
    hahaha... pangit nga yung 1L kung AC Cobra body... actually I would rather design my own kit car body

mini AC cobra kaya?!?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    maybe a bit OT but i would rather design my own and make it to something like this

custom chassis (reinforced) ford V8 engine with landcruiser 80 axles :grin2:

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Just to clarify, You are referring to replica KIT cars? It is because you referred to the AC Cobra.
    Im referring to replica kit cars, na example ko lang ang AC cobra pero ive seen 911 kit car for sale din dito sa tsikot few years back ata.

I i were to build a 911 or a cobra what donor cars would i use ba?

Chassis, engine tranny etc.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by qman View Post
    Im referring to replica kit cars, na example ko lang ang AC cobra pero ive seen 911 kit car for sale din dito sa tsikot few years back ata.

I i were to build a 911 or a cobra what donor cars would i use ba?

Chassis, engine tranny etc.
    GOING BACK TO THE main topic AND oRIGINAL qUESTION Of this thread...

If you are to build a REPLICA KIT CAR... You need to ask yourself these questions:

1. Budget?
    2. Speed?
    3. Purpose?
    4. Level of Contentment once done.

BUDGET - How much budget are you willing to throw into this project? 300K?, 500K, 800K

SPEED - hOW FAST do you want it to run? How fast do you want it done?
    For a real Speedster - you may want to consider the Aerodynamic closed mid engined types..(ala Countache, Lotus Europa, Laser 917, Ferrari 308GT, etc.)
    For a SHOW Stopper roadster - an Open Top cabriolet with a rear or front engined configuration is nice (ex. Porsche 356 Speedster, 959 top down, Lotus Super 7, MG-TD, Old Bugattis', 57 Bel-aire, etc.)

PURPOSE - what do you intend to do with it? - Race? Show? Both? Resale?...
    Replicars always have a resale price - not covered by traditional car exchange industry practice. If you are making it for Keeps - then you would consider the goodies like gadgets and electronics that you are going to put in - unless you are making a clone that can be hard to tell from the real deal.

LEVEL OF CONTENTMENT ONCE DONE - Ask yourself an honest question... Will this make you really happy? Sometimes, we are moved by our emotions and impulse to invest on something because it is what the fad is dictating us to do. Only to find out at the end of the day that we are not really happy about what we got. I have had these shares of experiences when I bought an AMC Javelin in an attempt to recondition it just for the heck of having a rare muscle car... but it ended up mothballed since I was not really happy about the short back... it felt like this car was trying hard to look like a Jaguar - it could have been more symetrical if the front nose suggested the short rear - but a MACH-1 Ford Mustang 67 proved much better.

I also thought I'd be happy with a Lamborghini Countache Replica - well - I was, until the thought of turning upside down - you dont ever want to be in this position with this car - it will be the biggest nightmare of your life.

Making a Replica - yourself is and will be a real head ache - unless you have an existing automotive repair and fabrication shop. It is best to ask the help of professionals in this field - or those enthusiasts who have had experience in restoration projects or even replications.

I know one guy who is good in both... Charlie Alvarez - his house is like a museum. I sold a 1927 Packard to him once and he simply restored it back into a mint! He didnt find any reason why he should put an original motor when a 21R Toyota Crown Automatic Power train with AC does the job and gives justice to this piece of art twice better than the original motor.

The Term RETRO CUSTOM is very much used nowadays specially with California Car Custom Builders... This is the most practical approach one can do in building his own Replica Project.

Building a Replica is indeed time consuming as it is challenging... the approach you are taking is from both sides.... FROM the OUTSIDE and the INSIDE and hopefully all points would meet and match halfway - this is actually a builders nightmare - considering many Kit Car projects end up - half finished or half baked or unfinished totally.

A Replica Project maybe able to run but not totally complete - there's always something that needs to be fixed - somewhere all the time.

Thats because Replicas and Kit Cars are more of a Hit or Miss engineering work, But the beauty of the experience in building one is - the Experience in itself.

If you wish to build a mid engined replica - buy an old FIERO or MR-2 and make it your donor car.

YouTube- My Ferrari 308GTS Replica (Shell only... or whats left of it..)

If you wish to build a rear engined replica - buy a Brazilian Beetle - PLEASE - DONT DESTROY A GERMAN Made Beetle - they are worth more Restored than a Replica. Just use an old Brazillian Bug since they dont have any collectors value at all.

YouTube- My Porsche 911 (Replica) ..how I wished...

[IMG][/IMG]

MY Old VW 411LE - a perfect donor Car for a 911 replica - If you can still find one.

If you wish to build a Front Engined RWD roadster - Get a toyota Crown or an Old Corona Macho Machine for smaller types - this is a Hard Top sedan - indicative of a strong body or chassis platform. If you want some muscle - Use a Toyota Crown Chassis and replace the engine with some V6 or Small V8 you can find - like DODGE 318ci's. These approaches is perfect for a Viper or a Ferrari Daytona project.

YouTube- My Dodge Viper (or whats left of it...)

A small MG can be based on an old Toyota Corona - just a little chassis reinforcement if you are using a unibody donor car.

If you want a really Low Budget project? Look for a 67- Down model VW Beetle... paint it white - paint some red and blue stripes and have a sticker number 53 in a circle on the doors and the lids. INSTANT REPLICA - of a 63 Hollywood Icon! - HERBIE.

Just bring a 1:18 scale model to your favorite repainting shop - bring your 60's Bug - tell them to copy it. Tapos ang mahabang usapan.
    Last edited by ehnriko; December 11th, 2009 at 11:44 AM.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEeLzQOCMy0"]YouTube- Herbie the Love Bug Music Video[/ame]

Enjoy the video.

Probably the best replica project of all times.

I think I will revive the Purple Bug again.

It generates SMILE everywhere you go.

Unless you want an ENVY Generator.
    Last edited by ehnriko; November 20th, 2009 at 04:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast