New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002

by the Tsikot PhUV Group

Adopting an advocacy is obviously not a spontaneous decision one makes while stuck in traffic. Rather it comes more as a gradual revelation that builds up until you have hallelujah rapture and you just know. And then you build up your passion for it. In this case, IT is building a Philippine Utility Vehicle or a PhUV.

But more than just a PhUV, it is the dream of producing and offering it to less affluent local folks at a price point and structure where it becomes affordable to them. Enabling mobility, if you will.

The trick, of course, is transforming the dream into reality. And therein lie the travails and burden of advocating the PhUV. For the local automotive history is replete with footnotes of stalled programs, discontinued models, and debilitating politics, not to mention poor designs and poorer production standards.

Yet for all the regression and false starts, the dream is ensconced in harsh reality for more than a hundred companies and the source of livelihood for more 50,000 workers – jobs that are now in jeopardy with the faltering industry.

And like so many times before, a PhUV program is being revived to help improve the situation. This time around, it is the industry association of MVPMAP that has taken the lead. MVPMAP thus played the pioneer by launching their prototype this Independence Day. And like most proverbial pioneers, they ended up with a lot of arrows in the form of brickbats, insults, and bashing at their back. It is not relevant whether these are justified (for the record, the constructive criticisms are). But MVPMAP has to be given credit, for unlike most Filipinos who are content to indulge in endless debate; they actually went ahead and build a prototype, and perhaps arguably, momentum for the rest to ride on.

As an on-line community revolving around cars, Tsikot.com (Tsikot) was and is a natural forum for the inevitable discussions sparked by the MVPMAP PhUV launch. We are witness to both praises and criticisms, even to pure bashing. We have also heard the naysayers who say the country is not capable of sustaining an indigenous automobile industry. Actually more than we care to hear. And we do not disagree.

On the other hand, everyone needs to realize developing one takes time. So when do we start? If not now, when? After all, the industry can be a generator of the market itself, since it requires several ancillary fields to supply its production line. Why not deconstruct the manufacturing process, spread infra costs to lower entry barriers, and enable SMEs to fully participate in the supply value chain? If we do this, the trickle-down effect can be accelerated, effectively widening the target market base. We just have to think outside-the-box. We just have to think why not?

Of course, it is much, much easier said than done. But it is not impossible. We have a lot of Filipinos who are of world-caliber in pertinent fields and through Tsikot and other means, have expressed their willingness to help. And they have been contributing ideas, suggestions, and designs. The Internet allows them to help from afar. After all, the web is truly an enabling technology that levels the playing field in so many industries.

So it is not surprising a lot of Tsikot members (both based locally and overseas) have been participating in the technical (and related) discussions in the Tsikot Auto Design and Research forum. And the discussions have impressed a lot of industry insiders that they now eagerly await the production of the Tsikot PhUV. With God’s help and the power of the Internet, we are hoping we will be able to deliver and not disappoint. Suffice to say, the resultant PhUV will essentially be a child of the Internet as it is a child of Tsikot.

Tsikot, in turn, is also a child of that Internet. Its essence is what you, the members, have made it to be. Its value is measured not by the number of forum posts, page views and clicks but by what becomes of “eyeballs” and outreach programs – the friendships and events cultivated by a common love of cars.

And it has, indeed, blossomed into an on-line community that transcends its digital roots through real-life gatherings and events. Whether we like it or not, Tsikot is slowly making its presence felt by the outside world so much that we have been quoted in the papers, we have been asked to participate in trade events, and we have been invited to give our feedback to the MVPMAP PhUV project.

And even as we nudge ourselves into purpose, we have been constantly exploring ways to define and redefine Tsikot’s essence – an advocacy to embrace, a vision to promote, a mission to fulfill. And for all the efforts to reach out for an answer, serendipitously, we found it within Tsikot with “the motley group that decided to produce its own version of the PhUV.”

What would be more appropriate than embracing a dream borne within Tsikot’s domain, a dream shared by the industry around which Tsikot revolves, by members whose on-line collaboration is made possible and then nurtured by Tsikot, and whose objective is to design and build a PhUV that is as much user-generated from digital input as Tsikot itself?

But more than a dream, it is also an actual effort to help revive a dying industry, an attempt to save the lives of 50,000 or so Filipinos, to provide enabling mobility to the masses, and of course, to build and develop the PhUV. It is an advocacy tailor-made for Tsikot and which Tsikot would now like to embrace in full.

For sure, the objectives are long-term. Quixotic, some might even say. And obviously there is no guarantee we will ever achieve them. But if we don’t take the first step, we will never know. For now, it is enough that we know it is worth a try. But we also know it won’t be easy. Where we want to go, there are simply too many places without roads yet. We have to build them ourselves. For sure, it will be no limo ride.

And in the same way the MVPMAP PhUV project pushed our motley group to build our own, if we fall short of our goals, whatever progress that we, the members of Tsikot will make, be it a few steps or a thousand miles worth of road, will become the foundation for succeeding groups to build on. Hopefully, one day, a group, be it us or not, will finally achieve the long-term goals. Then, it will be the success of everyone involved. And that is what advocacy is all about.

So we invite you to hop on and buckle up. It will be rough ride, for sure. But whatever happens, we are sure the journey itself will be the reward.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tsikot View Post
    Yet for all the regression and false starts, the dream is ensconced in harsh reality for more than a hundred companies and the source of livelihood for more 50,000 workers – jobs that are now in jeopardy with the faltering industry.

For sure, the objectives are long-term. Quixotic, some might even say. And obviously there is no guarantee we will ever achieve them. But if we don’t take the first step, we will never know.
    Indeed, the PHUV project launched by the MVPMAP, an association of auto parts SME, I believe can be likened to the REVOLUTION launched by Bonifacio and other like-minded "clase media" in 1896.

Fed up by the deep-seated inequity in Philippine society---massive poverty and exploitation of the majority of the people--amidst the callousness of a motley number of privileged Filipino elites--Bonifacio, galvanized all Filipinos to fight for freedom and equality. The rest is history.

Today, the same deep-seated inequity in Philippine society---massive poverty and exploitation of the majority of the people is still here.

The protagonists are similar---between us Filipinos and the foreign exploiters (colonial overlords:19th century.foreign oligopolists: 2007)

In the past, we don't have economic, political and cultural freedom. Today, we need economic freedom--freedom from unemployment, lack of capital, freedom of choice (against monopolistic and oligopolistic interests)and freedom from poverty.

We have to fight for these--to join the ranks of self-respecting nations.

The auto industry is one important area of concern. The transportation sector is one of the backbones of a progressive nation. Therefore, this industry is a key to our progress.

A vibrant domestic auto industry is a catalyst for growth. Progressive nations boast of a strong domestic industry that produces their own transport requirements--U.S.A., Europe, Japan, and now Korea, Malaysia, Thailand, India and China...

The importance of the auto industry cannot be underestimated--it is a major source of revenues for any country---for instance, The auto giants of Asia, Japan and South Korea, as well as Thailand,"the Destroit of Asia", derive their major export receipts from their auto exports. The industry creates millions of (direct and indirect) jobs, exports revenues, thousands of ancillary industries and income---ingredients of economic growth.

On the other hand, the Philippine auto industry is in ICU. Ironically, the "local auto industry" is far from local. CAMPI, the embodiment of the "local auto industry," is dominated by foreign interests.

This CAMPI has no other objective but to dominate the local industry and earn tremendous profits. They DONT CARE ABOUT THE DEVELOPMENT OF A PINOY AUTO INDUSTRY. In fact, they are now shifting to the distribution of CBUs instead of CKDs (gulong at sticker lang local) and they refuse to buy parts from MVPMAP. The ratification of JPEPA, that allows the entry of autos from Japan free of tariffs--will be the nail to the coffin of the PInoy auto industry.

Ang mga ordinaryong pinoy, nangangarap na magkaroon ng bagong sasakyan..ay hanggang pangarap lang. meron bang brand new na sasakyang galing CAMPI na mababa sa kalahating milyon? Wala. kung meron, di parin kayang bilhin. Tapos, ang mga pobreng tsuper ng dyipni, kailangang di kumain ng isang araw para lang makabili ng piyesang galing "Japan" kasi mahal--dahil wala namang piyesa na gawang "lokal." Patay na MVPMAP e. Pinatay nating mga Pinoy at CAMPI. Di ba bukang-bibig natin " dapat "MADE IN JAPAN" AT WAG "LOCAL."

No choice NA TAYO. May chain na sa paa natin. PUro Japan made o imported na, kaya mahal, walang iba. Asan na economic freedom sa sitwasyon na yan?

The PHUV IS OUR remaining sword, our bolo (its a symbolism. with no capital and support from the elites, Bonifacio fought with only bolos and few pistols. The same with the MVPMAP, only few from their ranks contributed to the creation of the prototype)to break this fetter, this chain. The valiant Bonifacio --the MVPMAP-- is asking us to rally behind it---against the chain of exploitation, from CAMPI and other foreign manufacturers.

This is a revolution of sort. A battle line was drawn. On one side, those people who believe that we can have our own truly local auto industry--free from price and supply manipulation of oligopoly (puro japanese o korean manufacturers are may control ng 100,000 units/yr auto market natin. Spareparts, grabe. Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Isuzu, Hyundai halos sa casa ka lang makabili. Kung sa friendly auto supply meron, mahal din.kasi kontrolado nila distribution)

On the other side, are those who are shortsighted, who cannot or refuse to look beyond their needs. kahit na alam nila na maraming Pinoy at ang bansa natin mismo ang makikinabang sa paglago ng lokal na industriya natin.

Eventually, these guys will be the victims of their own folly.

Sino susuportahan mo, fellow Pinoys?

Philippine government, we need your help. You are our greatest ally.
    Last edited by dprox; July 9th, 2007 at 07:01 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    indeed, we are fighting a losing battle but the war isn't over yet till our very voices are diminished. greed, malice and power may dominate and pound us to the ground but our dignity and pride as pinoys will remain ethereal and untouched. this very voice will be our warcry so that the following generations to come may shout out loud that 'men before me pounced through a wall dagger to attain what we have now'.

likewise, the obstacles that lie at present and ahead WILL come forth: tongues like daggers of frosbite, though they wound lightly, its burning ice consumes our very spirit; power and greed like ravenous wolves that desolate everything in its path; and worst of all, people of our blood who stubbornly demoralize our undying cause.

undying -- though this manifestation exists within the realm of cyberspace, it is a living spirit that calls us to arms to fight on. it lives for as long as the filipino blood continues to flow at the veins of the motherland.

though we are within the grasp of darkness, a champion still carries the torch for us. no matter how faint it is, it will be the guiding light for others so they may carry theirs.

for now, the foe outnumber us a million to one. but who says you can't defy fate. we already have the excalibur with us, but the missing piece is your presence, fellow filipinos -- our aegis. we are phalanx of iron wills. and our very efforts will BE the foundation of the pillars to which our children will build upon.
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I have a dream....

A Manila Transport and Auto Show.......showcasing the best of locally-made vehicles---at par with global auto brands---proudly presented by world-class indigeous local manufacturers (FMC, NORKIS, Tsikot Motors Ltd.?) with their auto engineers, technicians and designers........

Replacing the Transport and Autoshows in the Philippines today......a pageant of "retokado foreign vehicle beauties" (far from being called OUR OWN AUTOS AND AUTO SHOW)..... Featuring their respective owners as fashion designers and hair dressers--and not auto engineers and designers....

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    a rap tribute to tsikot phuv:

just sit down and relax
    read muna ng dyaryo
    while i dedicate this song
    kay drey, ang bespren ko

i have a vision...
    coz i'm a man with a mission
    to improve transportation
    and to give mobilization

i have a dream...
    though as far it may seem
    as high as clouds teem
    like diving a balong malalim

how far must i go?
    and tell me so
    or else i'll rap hip hop, yo!
    so tell me, tell me so

here i am typing
    while u're imagining
    that i'm the one singing
    now thinking i'm praning

but guess what yo
    may tsikot na gawa ng kababayan ko
    phuv model nito
    wait lang, isang pila lang po

how far must i go?
    and tell me so
    or else i'll rap hip hop, yo!
    so tell me, tell me so

here i am dreaming again
    asking myself when
    launching ng phuv ni friend
    then ang sagot niya sa akin...

"dude, pwedeng pahiram ng pen...
    coz i'm still drawin'
    a lil bit of this, a lil bit of that
    i'm kinda busy, and cut...

that's a rap"
    hey wait ang sabi ko
    na OOT na ako
    bakit ba ang gulo gulo mo?

O sige na nga, wag na nga
    magulo na ang mundo
    at dito nagtatapos ang rap ko
    at sana naman nagustohan ninyo

break it down yo
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdm View Post
    I have a dream....

A Manila Transport and Auto Show.......showcasing the best of locally-made vehicles---at par with global auto brands---proudly presented by world-class indigeous local manufacturers (FMC, NORKIS, Tsikot Motors Ltd.?) with their auto engineers, technicians and designers........

Replacing the Transport and Autoshows in the Philippines today......a pageant of "retokado foreign vehicle beauties" (far from being called OUR OWN AUTOS AND AUTO SHOW)..... Featuring their respective owners as fashion designers and hair dressers--and not auto engineers and designers....
    I have a dream. Our PhUV will be used in our local movies.
    iam3739.com

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I have a dream......

That the remaining Pinoy auto manufacturers--Francisco Motors, Sarao Motors, Norkis, AMC--will create a consortium--a single auto company--hypothetically named--PILIPINAS AUTO ALLIANCE CORP--and adopt the PHUV as its flagship product.

Alladdin.....where is your magic lamp.....I need money to start this.....

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    This is the rationale why we have to build our industrial capability though the PHUV and the revival of our local industries (i.e. auto industry). To earn the respect of our Asian neighbors!!!

Filipinos in HK hit Korean retaliation By Michael Caber
    A FILIPINO migrant group based in Hong Kong denounced the South Korean Embassy for threatening to retaliate against undocumented Filipinos in Korea should the government fail to resolve the harassment and extortion complaints of some Korean businessmen.
    Dolores Balladares, chairman of the United Filipinos in Hong Kong, said the embassy’s threat was “irrational and unjust” because Filipino workers in Korea, numbering about 15,000, should not be punished for the wrongdoing of corrupt and irresponsible Philippine government officials.
    “We call on the South Korean government to use diplomatic ways to resolve the issue with their counterpart in Manila,” she said as the group called on the government to investigate, prosecute and punish those who are allegedly harassing and extorting money from Korean and other foreign businessmen.
    The group made the call after Korean Consul General Hong Sung Mog threatened to take action against Filipino workers should the Philippine government fail to resolve the businessmen’s complaints, but the embassy resumed the issuance of working visa to Filipinos on Thursday following a meeting with immigration officials on Wednesday.
    Hong also said he communicated the results of his meeting to the South Korean community here. “They are known to every important Korean businessman here and the panic is gone. The situation is going back to normal,” Hong said.
    Hong refused to disclose what was agreed upon during the meeting with the immigration chief and other officials.
    The South Korean Embassy issues around 200 visas every day. There are about 70,000 Filipinos working and living in Korea, 6,000 of whom are permanent residents. About 50,000 Filipinos are properly documented but some 14,000 work there illegally.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Knock...knock.....anybody there?

Proponents of FUV, PHUV, OTJ asan na kayo???

PHUV where are you???

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Hi jpdm,

We are still here. The group is just concentrating on the MVPMAP redesign since there is a defined deadline as mentioned by romski.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Living Advocacy: The Tsikot PhUV