New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Well the results are in the Audi R10 TDI diesel race car (the first diesel race car ever to enter le mans) wins its debut run at the worlds most gruelling race. Other car manufacturers are developing their diesel race technology.

It beat all other car manufacturers including dominant players like Porsche.

WILL DIESEL BE THE NEW STANDARD IN ENDURANCE RACE ENGINES?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If it will be so, why not? There's nothing inherently wrong with diesel engines except their lower specific power rating. With modern injection technology addressing that handicap, a lot of modern diesels I've driven feel very much like gasoline power plants, minus a few thousand rpms.

What I'd like to know is how they managed to work out the handicapping for the R10, or if there are any handicaps at all in the current LMP class.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I dont see any problem in a diesel fed vehicle winning races.....

whats wrong with that?

heck even if they can use diesel to power the Space Shuttle and go to Mars, I dont see any problem either....

The only problem that I can see is its price.....which is still going up....

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    It should be a logical conclusion, given that diesel engines can withstand greater internal stress due to their construction. Never mind if it is this very same construction that makes them heavier compared to gasoline powerplants.

Diesels for racing, but this is something that our jeepney, truck and bus drivers have already known since long ago. Bakit sa tingin niyo sila ang mahilig humarurot sa kalsada? :D
    Last edited by Bogeyman; June 22nd, 2006 at 06:24 PM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Wonder what would happen if they decided to enforce emissions in races, though...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    The Le Mans race had no handicaps. It was a head to head race between a lone diesel team and the rest of the petrol powered pack. Other car manufacturers are now ramping up their diesel programs as a consequence. THe Audi r10 had less pitstops since it was more efficient. It also finished one full lap ahead of the car that came in number 2. That distance along is the entire distance of an entire F1 race. The entire distance of the whole Le Mans race is equivalent to an entire F1 season compressed into 24 hours. That's what makes the win all the more significant...

the R10 v12 displaces 5.5 liters which are compliant to the Le Mans rules. it produced 650 hp and has a max torque of 1100 newton metres. for god's sake BMW can't even complete F1 races. Here you have Audi beating the entire field with an engine no one had the balls to risk racing with. Now it makes you wonder why here everyone is so BMW crazy? Weird that BMW even has ads now for their diesel engined cars that aren't even in the country...wonder why?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Er... doesn't BMW Philippines sell the following diesel rides:

BMW X3 2.0d
    BMW X5 3.0d
    BMW 530d
    BMW 735d

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    May mga diesel naman na BMW na 530D sa daan, 5 m ang halaga sa casa. Audi has A6 and A4 TDIs at PGA.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I stand corrected then...but how many races has BMW won? in recent history? also...what about with diesel?

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    hehe .. we get your point .. i personally don't think audi gets the respect it deserves ..i think audi has the image of "others" like volvo in the european car category after merc and bmw .. we're not talking about the supercars of course .. in anycase, this is an outstanding feat .. i've always been a fan of audi since the quattro came out ..

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Audi R10 Diesel Race Car Wins Lemans. New Era In Racing?