New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    I Hope hindi to OT; Well I guess it is , sorry pro wala akong mahanap na related thread. I hope nobidy minds. Inputs very much appreciated.

-How doe R134 differ from R12, which is better?
    -Can both be interchange in the same system?
    -R12 po ba is phased out na'? I mean old tech?; Kase sabi nong mech' palit daw ng R134 wala na daw gumagamit ng R12. totoo ba to?
    - If kailangang e convert ang system to R134; ano po ba ang major parts sa system na papalitans from R12?, magkano kaya estimate sa paggagastusan?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Accdg to my supplier's account manager from China, you can use R12 on R134a systems and vice-versa. Mas mabilis daw lumamig ang R12 pero mas environment friendly ang 134a.

I don't know if that is accurate though.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Accdg to my supplier's account manager from China, you can use R12 on R134a systems and vice-versa. Mas mabilis daw lumamig ang R12 pero mas environment friendly ang 134a.

I don't know if that is accurate though.

horsepower,
    R12 is NOT interchangeable with R134a. the reason why
    r12 was discontinued was the tearing of the ozone layer that protects us earthlings from the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun. it is replaced by the earth friendly R134a that does not contain chlorine responsible for tearing holes in the ozone layer. R12 was near perfect refrigerant that for almost each psi of R12 is proportionate to 1 degree fahrenheit of temperature.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodingo View Post
    I Hope hindi to OT; Well I guess it is , sorry pro wala akong mahanap na related thread. I hope nobidy minds. Inputs very much appreciated.

-How doe R134 differ from R12, which is better?
    -Can both be interchange in the same system?
    -R12 po ba is phased out na'? I mean old tech?; Kase sabi nong mech' palit daw ng R134 wala na daw gumagamit ng R12. totoo ba to?
    - If kailangang e convert ang system to R134; ano po ba ang major parts sa system na papalitans from R12?, magkano kaya estimate sa paggagastusan?

turbodingo,
    if you retrofit from R12 to R134a, you will need to change the compressor oil from polyol ester to polyalkyl glycol, change the o-rings from nitrile to HBNR o-rings, change or install service fittings for R134a, change the receiver/dryer of accumulator/dryer and in some cases change the expansion valve. the system needs to be drained and flushed of old lubricant and replaced with pag oil.
    jick
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; December 23rd, 2009 at 08:17 PM.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Thank for clearing that out sir jick, That's what I thought it's not interchangeble. I 've noted the thing you mentioned, so the compressor doesn't need to be change anymore right?, With the mentioned modification how much do you think it will cost?

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Thanks Jick. I also thought it sounded strange but since she's a pretty chinese girl, yeah, I gave her the benefit of the doubt. hehehe.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Thanks Jick. I also thought it sounded strange but since she's a pretty chinese girl, yeah, I gave her the benefit of the doubt. hehehe.

horsepower,
    good call. i'd probably do the same thing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
R134-a refrigerant brand