New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    Every post herein is pointing straight to the compressor clutch indiscriminately without checking the high and low side pressures. If you were mechanics, you will have misdagnoses left and right. Learn the scientific and logical approach. Dont be just parts replacers, be or try to be technicians
    True, but advices given was based on experience and besides the issue is well documented and a known problem of the said model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    True, but advices given was based on experience and besides the issue is well documented and a known problem of the said model.

And considering these advices saves time and money. If an advice didn't work, then you can always go to other routes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sean-archer View Post
    And considering these advices saves time and money. If an advice didn't work, then you can always go to other routes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That is, hopefully you get lucky that the guess is right.

You dont take suggestion of an open heart surgery on guesses, you consult, get other logical explanation and diagnoses. If the chest pain was caused by hyperacidity and you learned after the surgery, oh well

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    That is, hopefully you get lucky that the guess is right.

You dont take suggestion of an open heart surgery on guesses, you consult, get other logical explanation and diagnoses. If the chest pain was caused by hyperacidity and you learned after the surgery, oh well
    Extreme ba yung suggestion that you would compare it to a surgery? Diba aadjust lang yung spacer?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Extreme ba yung suggestion that you would compare it to a surgery? Diba aadjust lang yung spacer?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    medyo extreme nga yung choice of surgery. let's tone it down.
    maybe, excision versus FNAB?
    heh heh.
    Last edited by dr. d; July 27th, 2018 at 11:07 AM.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Every post herein is pointing straight to the compressor clutch indiscriminately without checking the high and low side pressures. If you were mechanics, you will have misdagnoses left and right. Learn the scientific and logical approach. Dont be just parts replacers, be or try to be technicians
    This might be the problem of my friend's Optra, a faulty pressure switch. However, I remember that the technician said that the pressures are normal BUT did not check the condition of the pressure switches.

Anyways, the pressure is usually the first thing that a technician will check first once you bring it to a shop. From there, he will start the troubleshooting process.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    This might be the problem of my friend's Optra, a faulty pressure switch. However, I remember that the technician said that the pressures are normal BUT did not check the condition of the pressure switches.

Anyways, the pressure is usually the first thing that a technician will check first once you bring it to a shop. From there, he will start the troubleshooting process.
    yup.
    that's what they did to mine. sa katapusan, it was just, as initially suspected, the spacer.
    these guys are pretty good "at guessing".
    i guess, that comes from seeing dozens of similar cases a month.
    Last edited by dr. d; July 27th, 2018 at 11:13 AM.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    First two things to look out for, in order:
    1. AC compressor relay located at the engine bay fuse box - easy diagnosis is to listen for a mild click from the relay when you turn the aircon on, if there is no click sound then this part is bad
    2. Magnetic clutch spacer (washer) - if there is a click as per #1 but the AC magnetic clutch does not turn/engage, then this is likely the problem

It's possible that something else could be wrong but the above are known issues with easy fixes and a mechanic familiar with the FD will first check for those anyway. We are here to point you in the right direction so that you have an idea what to expect based on your indicated symptoms since the casa and most AC shops will insist that you immediately replace entire assemblies, that are otherwise still working fine, given the age of your car.

When my FD had the spacer removed at around the 4-year mark, the casa wanted to replace the entire compressor assembly (~P23k) while Frigid Zone wanted to replace the magnetic clutch assembly (~P5k including pulldown and Freon refilling). TeamFD folks back then suggested I look at the relay and washer first. It turns out it was just the washer and it was a 1-hour/P250 job. 5 years later, the relay failed. At that point, I replaced both the magnetic clutch (P2.5k) and relay (P150 surplus) since the clutch was also likely worn out. When the compressor was opened and inspected, the technician asked if I had just replaced the compressor and I said it was still the original factory part. He said it was remarkable since the oil was clean and the insides were in near perfect condition as the pistons and cylinders were still shiny, clean and tight. This is from a 9-year old AC compressor used in a daily driver that had around 100K kms.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The two suggestions given was the cheapest and easiest things to check and it have done. If both are the not problems and magnetic clutch need replacement then there's no harm done in the compressor or his wallet.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    I still follow the sequence of
    Knowledge
    Diagnosis
    Repair
    In that particular sequence.
    I avoid making mistakes that way.

This have been outlined by John Remling in his earlier textbooks that I used in my classes for more than two decades.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast