New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by d'flash View Post
    up ko lang yung thread.

yung temp gauge ko kasi ngayo minsan nasa 52%-53% instead of 50%, dahil siguro summer at mainit naman talaga panahon. Ok lang ba yun? or kailangan ko ba maglagay ng coolant, makakatulong ba yon? pure water lang kasi nilalagay ko eh, kung maglalagay ng coolant, ano bang brand/variant maganda? at gaano karami dapat ko ilagay?
    Try mo muna adding 1 liter of coolant. Mga 70/30 mix yan, though you can go as high as 50/50. Ayaw mo ng tsambahan you could go get the premixed ones. Flush ka muna before filling up.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    since summer naman ngayon ung hose ba papunta sa windshield wiper sprayer ay re-direct mo muna sa area ng radiator, every time na you feel an urge to spray the radiator with wiper tap mo lan ung wiper switch.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^ habang biyahe, di ba mag-usok puti ang engine compartment?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by funkeemunkee View Post
    Try mo muna adding 1 liter of coolant. Mga 70/30 mix yan, though you can go as high as 50/50. Ayaw mo ng tsambahan you could go get the premixed ones. Flush ka muna before filling up.
    Thanks Sir. ung water lang ba sa reservoir ung i-flush ko? ung sa radiator mismo wag na? may mairerecommend ba kayong brand ng coolant na premixed na?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by d'flash View Post
    up ko lang yung thread.

yung temp gauge ko kasi ngayo minsan nasa 52%-53% instead of 50%, dahil siguro summer at mainit naman talaga panahon. Ok lang ba yun? or kailangan ko ba maglagay ng coolant, makakatulong ba yon? pure water lang kasi nilalagay ko eh, kung maglalagay ng coolant, ano bang brand/variant maganda? at gaano karami dapat ko ilagay?
    i dunno...
    but if this did not happen before last year, then it sounds like your cooling system is showing early signs of clogging.. it does not seem to get rid of heat as good as before..
    errr... how's your aux fan? is it still spinning as strong as before?

coolant? that's a touchy one..
    coolant is popular for two things:
    1. it provides corrosion protection for the various metal alloys that are used under the engine cowl; and
    2. it prevents freezing (for cold conutries, but definitely not the phils).

but... i daresay... coolant slightly lowers the heat transfering ability of the cooling system... water actually transfers more heat than coolant mix..

i'll brace myself for the flak now...
    Last edited by dr. d; May 1st, 2015 at 10:08 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^^ dr. d I think it depends on the type of coolant. If it is ethylene glycol then the heat transfer is lower. But if it is nitrile based additive it could be higher. It depends on the specific heat of the resulting mixture. If it's lower than pure water then heat transfer is lower also. The reverse is true. I've used nitrile based only (Nalcool 2000 to be exact), and as far as my experience with it goes it is better than pure water.

you forgot 3. Higher boiling point than pure water alone.

No flak there dr.d

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    ^^ dr. d I think it depends on the type of coolant. If it is ethylene glycol then the heat transfer is lower. But if it is nitrile based additive it could be higher. It depends on the specific heat of the resulting mixture. If it's lower than pure water then heat transfer is lower also. The reverse is true. I've used nitrile based only (Nalcool 2000 to be exact), and as far as my experience with it goes it is better than pure water.

you forgot 3. Higher boiling point than pure water alone.

No flak there dr.d
    ah yes! now, why did i forget that? my chemistry teacher would have killed me..
    salamat po.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Prevention is the key. Aside from the regular cooling system and air flow control, you can tailor the EGR function to operate at a wider range to reduce combustion temperature. This however is not necessary for engines with variable valve timing for either or both the intake and exhaust valves.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008

Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    Prevention is the key. Aside from the regular cooling system and air flow control, you can tailor the EGR function to operate at a wider range to reduce combustion temperature. This however is not necessary for engines with variable valve timing for either or both the intake and exhaust valves.
    ...seems like everything to gain and nothing to lose... at least in the tropics...
    so why do the manufacturers not do this as a matter of routine?
    is there a trade-off?

10. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post

ah yes! now, why did i forget that? my chemistry teacher would have killed me..
    salamat po.
    The TS's concern is higher than his "used to" temperature which is still normal as per the manufacturer, therefore to them is not a concern.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
cooling the radiator/engine by pouring water on the radiator itself (coils/pipes)