New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    hello sirs, I have a Mitsubishi Eclipse 99 car, and recently I became very very wary of overheating, because, of all the nastiness that too much of it entails... that being said, dahil mainit ang panahon lately, i've adopted this habit of pouring water on the radiator to cool off the radiator/engine, nakita ko kasi noon pag nag-ooverheat ang kotse yun ang binubuhusan ng tubig, dahil bawal nga buksan yung radiator cap etc.) it works naman, the temperature goes down etc.

My question is, is this a good practice or is it bad for the radiator itself?
    I like it because it cools the engine quickly, but lately kasi i do it in the middle of long drives (park at a gas station for example, then pour water on the radiator, kahit wala namang overheating, just to be sure) and after going home, pouring water on it to cool it and then turn it off after it became "cooler."

thanks!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    I suggest using coolant, if its not being used yet. Its so often people use only water in the Philippines, which causes internal rust and clogging. The steam causes moisture, which gets into electrical and causes corrosion.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Although there is nothing wrong with the practice of pouring water over the car's radiator to cool down the engine, it is not fixing the real cause of the problem.

As mentioned above, it is best to use a water/coolant mix to prevent rust from forming inside the car's engine cooling system. Also it might be good to have the cooling system checked for leaks, etc that is causing the periodic overheat.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Although there is nothing wrong with the practice of pouring water over the car's radiator to cool down the engine, it is not fixing the real cause of the problem.

As mentioned above, it is best to use a water/coolant mix to prevent rust from forming inside the car's engine cooling system. Also it might be good to have the cooling system checked for leaks, etc that is causing the periodic overheat.

Yep. The water/coolant solution is the way to go - assuming you have no other problems. Hindi po normal na tumataas ang temp beyond a certain point. Blockage, radiator, pump, belts, etc. should all be addressed THEN change to (I suggest) premixed coolant. Sometimes though, flushing exposes leaks that were blocked by rust.

Pag OK na OK na cooling system niyo, it the temp should barely move from a certain point on the gauge unless you 'hataw' it for a very long time. Pag long drive naman, it should be OK to just leave the hood open for some time - like habang binababa ang gamit.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boycoupe21 View Post
    hello sirs, I have a Mitsubishi Eclipse 99 car, and recently I became very very wary of overheating, because, of all the nastiness that too much of it entails... that being said, dahil mainit ang panahon lately, i've adopted this habit of pouring water on the radiator to cool off the radiator/engine, nakita ko kasi noon pag nag-ooverheat ang kotse yun ang binubuhusan ng tubig, dahil bawal nga buksan yung radiator cap etc.) it works naman, the temperature goes down etc.

My question is, is this a good practice or is it bad for the radiator itself?
    I like it because it cools the engine quickly, but lately kasi i do it in the middle of long drives (park at a gas station for example, then pour water on the radiator, kahit wala namang overheating, just to be sure) and after going home, pouring water on it to cool it and then turn it off after it became "cooler."

thanks!

if the car has no overheating problem, it is not necessary nor is it any good. the water that you pour into the radiator space only accelerates corrosion of the radiator frame and crossmember. if the heat level is within range, save the heat to reduce the warmup time for the engine to reduce HC and CO emissions aside from increasing the mpg rating. in fact, toyota prius installs a "thermos" bottle for the engine coolant to maintain heat up to 24 hours depending on ambient temperature. the coolant for the inverter is allowed to cool down normally since the battery does not really need warming up except in freezing weather.
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; April 18th, 2012 at 08:30 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I just go to my suking rad shop and have the radiator overhauled. It doesnt even take 3 hours. And while they are at it, my guy checks the thermostat and rad cap if the items need replacement. Checking the water pump is optional. Dont forget to tell him to flush the system with a hose too.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Have you heard of the prestone coolant advertisement on the radio? baka ganon din ang mangyari sayo in the long run.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Coolants have a higher boiling point than water, which is just one reason why it's good to have a water/coolant mix.

But I agree with what OTEP posted, have your radiator checked first and overhauled (sa Kamias marami), if needed.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    up ko lang yung thread.

yung temp gauge ko kasi ngayo minsan nasa 52%-53% instead of 50%, dahil siguro summer at mainit naman talaga panahon. Ok lang ba yun? or kailangan ko ba maglagay ng coolant, makakatulong ba yon? pure water lang kasi nilalagay ko eh, kung maglalagay ng coolant, ano bang brand/variant maganda? at gaano karami dapat ko ilagay?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Kuha ka sa kung ano brand ng sasakyan mo, wag ka gumamit nung aftermarket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
cooling the radiator/engine by pouring water on the radiator itself (coils/pipes)