New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Any coolant with ethylene-glycol type NOT alcohol...
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    Any coolant will do just stay away from the Dexron type coolant.
    What's wrong with "Dexron" type sir?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vanqrvr View Post
    he. he. he.

pwede mo rin gawing coolant si gaby,.. sa loob ng rides mo, baka lalo lang mag overheat...

prestone coolant din ang gamit ko, walang overheat pero pag sakay si gaby malamang ibang overheat ang mangyari..

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by valvura View Post
    Any coolant with ethylene-glycol type NOT alcohol...

What's wrong with "Dexron" type sir?
    Oops I meant DEXCOOL not DEXRON. Dexron is an ATF while Dexcool is a coolant used by GM cars.

There are a lot of complaints in the US about dexcool turning into gel inside radiators and doing other weried stuff. I belive that GM is doing a study to find out if this is true or not. But I would rather err on the side of caution and just use the common green or ethylene-glycol coolant. Here are some of the complaints:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...m_dexcool.html

Anyway, GM is the only manufacturer that insists on using dexcool. So if you dont have a GM car, no point in buying dexcool.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    Oops I meant DEXCOOL not DEXRON. Dexron is an ATF while Dexcool is a coolant used by GM cars.

There are a lot of complaints in the US about dexcool turning into gel inside radiators and doing other weried stuff. I belive that GM is doing a study to find out if this is true or not. But I would rather err on the side of caution and just use the common green or ethylene-glycol coolant. Here are some of the complaints:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...m_dexcool.html

Anyway, GM is the only manufacturer that insists on using dexcool. So if you dont have a GM car, no point in buying dexcool.
    I've used dexcool coolant for a long time now pero wala naman problema(so far..heheh). if you notice on the link na most of the people that are complaining has a gm vehicle. I read somewhere na ang problema is usually a leak in the intake manifold gasket nung mga gm vehicles .
    Also I've seen people with the newer model toyotas that has red coolant from the factory na gumagamit ng dexcool wala naman problema.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    I use motul inugel no need to add h20 ok performance

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Found this on the net. Experts, your opinons pls. Is this an accurate way of testing coolant or not?

As for deciding when to change your antifreeze, don't go by miles or you WILL certainly have seal and mechanical failures. One interesting spec I found is to use a multimeter. You put your negative probe to the negative post on your battery. You then place the positive probe in the neck of your radiator, making sure that the positive probe touches nothing but the antifreeze. Make sure the coolant is warm but not HOT (this is for SAFETY reasons as well as accuracy of your readings. Always be careful when opening the radiator cap on a warm engine). Your readings (regardless of negative symbol on readout) should be:

0.2 V to 0.5 V - antifreeze is still good
    0.5 V to 0.7 V - antifreeze is borderline
    0.7 V or greater - antifreeze is unacceptable.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    use the same color coolant lang. and use the proper ratio. that's the most important thing to remember.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Looks like coolant is not an easy subject. Parang chemistry. Ethylen glycol, OAT, HOAT, etc....

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=rbxcra.2.a.1

Question: isn't the color just a dye to help in finding leaks?

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    My guess it’s there to cover the color of rust hehehe because dye alone cannot pinpoint any leaks. But i do use coolant + distilled drinking water ha? Prestone especially. subok na eh mura pa kesa sa ibang brand.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by youngrider View Post
    A 50/50 coolant mixture will only have 50% heat removal compared to 100% pure water. With less 'coolant in the mix' you have more heat removal capacity but for corrosion protection and lubricating properties a more diluted mixture needs to be replaced more often, which I am willing to do.

Radiator cap pressure rating should also be within your car specs or higher for increased boiling point, also to prevent hot spot formation, and pump cavitation.

I also use Shell and Caltex long life at 25% mix sa iba kong sasakyan. Wilkins (or kung ano mura na foodgrade distilled water) ang pinaka tubig ko.
    I just want to interject. Failed to respond to this a few days ago.

I'd like to put a stop to this... Water has the highest heat capacity, but it also has the highest pressure change under heat, which means that it is effectively less able to absorb heat and stay within the system's pressure capacity (before boiling over) than a 50/50 mix or even the new waterless coolants being used today.

Basically, your cooling system is only as good as the amount of pressure it can take. You use pure water, once you've exceeded a certain heat load for the system, the pressure rises beyond the system capacity, and water is puked into your coolant reservoir to ease the pressure.

The more coolant, the less pressure build-up in the system, the more effective it becomes.

Some waterless coolant systems run at really high temperatures... over 100 degress celsius, which plain old 50/50 systems can't match. This allows for higher thermal efficiencies from the engine. Needless to say, newer engines, designed to run higher cooling system and engine temperatures, should never be run on pure water or a 70/30 set-up.

More useful reading here, with scientific tests showing the difference between water, 50/50 and pure propylene glycol:
    http://www.jcna.com/library/tech/tech0011.html

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Coolant...