New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Just wanna clear something-

I think my car's compressor has a leak... my mechanic told me that i should replace it instead of repairing it. he said it was compressor oil that was leaking... if i had my compressor repaired it would cost me around 1k-1.5k plus the cost of freon which is 1k +... replacing it would cost me 3k-3.5k plus freon... so i i had it repaired i only had a week for warranty, replacement is 1month... in case it leaks again after being repaired and after say 2weeks which warranty does not cover, i should have it replaced, which will again cost me freon... so again he is suggesting that i have it replaced.

i consulted other mechanic, and told me if it was compressor oil that was leaking, freon should leak too within a day or two... its been a week or so and aircon was still cold... my 2nd mechanic told me that my compressor was not leaking... it was some other oil... to sum it up - - i am curious about what my 2nd mechanic told me...

Will freon leak too if my compressor oil is leaking and will make my airconditioning not cold?

Btw my car is corolla 95 2e engine

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    I think your first mechanic is playing around with prizes, coz 1k for freon charging is just way too much. For short, ditch him.

I think the second mechanic is more honest, and yes, if there's a leak in the compressor your freon won't last a day or depending on the pressure of the leak (as per experience).

So what is the second man's suggestion?

3. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    I have the same problem last year with my L300FB school bus...my aircon mechanic said that my compressor shaft seal is broken, his advised is to replace the compressor, an SD 7 brand new is 13k. Then my dad introduced me to his mechanic...Henry in Kawilihan Pasig...i told him of my problem...and he told me that the shaft seal can be replaced if properly installed..."ang ginawa niya ay binabad muna niya sa oil (sorry di ko alam kung anong klaseng oil siya) for 4 hours before installing it in the compressor...its been a year now and it seems there is no more leak...and if i remember mga 3k ang nagastos ko...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    consult a 3rd A/C technician for a decisive decision.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by isa1023 View Post
    I think your first mechanic is playing around with prizes, coz 1k for freon charging is just way too much. For short, ditch him.

I think the second mechanic is more honest, and yes, if there's a leak in the compressor your freon won't last a day or depending on the pressure of the leak (as per experience).

So what is the second man's suggestion?
    he said it couldnt be compressor oil leak...like what you said, freon wont last if theres a compressor oil leak... to think my 2nd mechanic works free of charge...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    *TS

Take your car to Ceejay's in Las Pinas if you're within the area. The people there are highly skilled and they will tell you up front if the compressor is feasibly repairable or fit to be totally replaced.

If you're in QC, I recommend Abacus along West Avenue. Look for Mr. Rene Borlongan, the proprietor. He can also give a honest advice regarding your predicament.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    thanks for the advice, i already had it fixed but it is still under observation, i hope the problem ends

8. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    if the compressor oil is leaking and nothing is left in the compressor, will it do any damage or problem? same as with the freon? Can i still use the car with atleast the fan "on" or can i use it without it?

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by batusai_jr View Post
    If the compressor oil is leaking and nothing is left in the compressor, will it do any damage or problem?
    It will damage the compressor if left untreated, the oil is used to lubricate vital moving parts. This is one of the reasons why the aircon system should be serviced once a year, it also includes relubrication of the compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by batusai_jr View Post
    same as with the freon? Can i still use the car with atleast the fan "on" or can i use it without it?
    You can use the blower function safely with the thermostat in the OFF position. If you turn on the thermostat and the refrigerant level is low, the system will shut down automatically in order to preserve the compressor. For cars that have modified wirings to bypass the thermostatic switch that detects low refrigerant level, this is very risky. If the thermostat/aircon system is forced to engage even with low refrigerant, then the compressor may get damaged permanently.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CivicVTi View Post
    It will damage the compressor if left untreated, the oil is used to lubricate vital moving parts. This is one of the reasons why the aircon system should be serviced once a year, it also includes relubrication of the compressor.

You can use the blower function safely with the thermostat in the OFF position. If you turn on the thermostat and the refrigerant level is low, the system will shut down automatically in order to preserve the compressor. For cars that have modified wirings to bypass the thermostatic switch that detects low refrigerant level, this is very risky. If the thermostat/aircon system is forced to engage even with low refrigerant, then the compressor may get damaged permanently.
    sir thank you for the answer, atleast i can use the blower for air, the only problem is driving when it is raining? why are the mirrors blurring if a/c is not working? its really very hard to seen even if your blower is on... all you see is "white"... i really have to change compressor, it has already been repaired and yet it is still leaking... budget here is another problem, getting an original compressor for Toyota Corolla XE95 is expensive... it will cost me 17k i think for a brand new one, some say that surplus will only be good for a short time if im not lucky... is it ok if i modify it? i don't know what brand to use but my mechanic suggested a smaller version of my compressor, he said it is cheaper but offers the same cooling power?

Can any one give atleast an estimate for a compressor? brandnew i guess but different models or brands which are good enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Compressor Leak?