New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Hi fellow tsikoters....

Just want to know your experiences and views on using coolant or just plain water on the radiator...

dati kasi water lang sinasaksak lang hose sa radiator then dumating na itong mga coolant.
    Sa akin kasi i use distilled water, d ko lang alam baka pareho lang pala sa tap water, kasi in time nagkaroon din kalawang.

thanks

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I personally use a 50-50 coolant-distilled water split. coolants supposedly help retard some of the corrosion.

But as long as it isn't tap water, your radiator should be fine

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    For me i'm using the red Toyota coolant 50-50 with distilled water. I think the higher boiling point and anti-corrosive characteristics are reasons for using coolant. Consistent ang kulay niya not compared sa tubig, nagkukulay kalawang.
    +2 cents

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by anthon05 View Post
    Hi fellow tsikoters....

Just want to know your experiences and views on using coolant or just plain water on the radiator...

dati kasi water lang sinasaksak lang hose sa radiator then dumating na itong mga coolant.
    Sa akin kasi i use distilled water, d ko lang alam baka pareho lang pala sa tap water, kasi in time nagkaroon din kalawang.

thanks
    Coolant raises the Boiling Point and the Specific Heat of your radiator water. Best in combi with distilled water.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Using distilled versus tap water saves you from scale build-up, but it won't prevent rust.

Using a coolant mix benefits you in that coolant prevents rust formation and coolant raises the boiling point of your cooling system. Some people yabber on about water having higher heat capacity... but heat capacity doesn't do nuthin' for you if your water is boiling over... as the heat capacity drops drastically as you lose water. Coolant prevents or delays boil-over, and allows your system to take a little more heat abuse.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by anthon05 View Post
    Hi fellow tsikoters....

thanks

anthon05,
    the antifreeze/coolant in your cooling system does more than just cool the engine llike water. it prevents corrosion: water in the cooling system of bimetallic or more different metals engines causes electrolysis. the aluminum/cast iron engines, of course bimetallic, has different electron number for different atoms, hence the electrical charge exists between two dissimilar metals. the metal with higher electron number donates electrons to the lower electron numbered metal- cause of corrosion.
    the antifreeze/coolant also conducts more heat faster to carry to the radiator to reduce the fever of the engine block. it also is the only lubrication for the moving parts in the cooling system. it rasises the boiling point like sugar when added to water raises the boiling point of the solution. it lowers the freezing point of the coolant solution like vodka added to water, lowers the freezing point. your fridge can be used for this experiment. try freezing vodka, vodka/ water and just plain water. then enjoy the liquid vodka with orange juice since your fridge is incapable of freezing the vodka.
    jick
    instructor
    guam community college

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    should be a mixed solution for pure coolants.
    but as far as i know, prestone coolants are already premixed, so you can pour it directly.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    AFAIK, coolant/anti-freeze prevents water from freezing like in other countries where outside temperature reaches zero degree Celsius. Therefore, if it used here in the Phils, it only adds heat to a car's engine. Try to soak your hand in a pure coolant, then, you would know which makes your car's engine cooler.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    coolant for me....I just buy from Honda yun pre mixed coolant nila.

marami kasing na hassle pa bumili ng coolant since kailagan pang haluan ng water, but marami ng mga coolant na pre-mixed so diretso na ilalagay...
    Last edited by shadow; May 28th, 2009 at 11:39 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Always consult your car's owner's manual for specific instructions on what type of coolant to use and at what concentration. Some engines require coolants with little or no silicate content. Using the wrong coolant could shorten the life of the water pump.

Quote Originally Posted by orlee_v View Post
    AFAIK, coolant/anti-freeze prevents water from freezing like in other countries where outside temperature reaches zero degree Celsius. Therefore, if it used here in the Phils, it only adds heat to a car's engine. Try to soak your hand in a pure coolant, then, you would know which makes your car's engine cooler.
    And your point being?

Or are you implying that using coolant additive is bad?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Anong mas maganda coolant or plain water sa RADIATOR?