New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    Not all.
    High volume Japanese mainstream models are from Thailand , Indonesia or locally made/assembled.

Another thing you have to consider, VW does not manufacture small sedans in Europe.

The only way they can have something priced like a Vios is if they source it from an Asian plant like the one in China.

VW was able to move their old German and Mexican model here because of heavy 6 digit discounts. Factor in TRAIN and those Euro and Mexican models would have become even more expensive.

China and Southeast Asia are more aligned in terms of model offerings. The Toyota Vios which is not made or sold in Japan for example was developed with Southeast Asia and China in mind.
    Last edited by AG4; February 7th, 2019 at 12:05 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    If the Japs can send theirs everywhere & still be competitive, anyone can....VW might just deem our market too insignificant to bother.VW Santana

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I think only the Prius and the Alphard are the only Japanese cars in our Market thats made in Japan...

Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    Volkswagen sourcing models from China to keep prices low is the same formula used by Japanese brands who source mainstream Philippine-spec models from Thailand and Indonesia (some locally made/assembled).

The current Vios for example is not sold in Japan.
    Vios was made for emerging markets...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    I think only the Prius and the Alphard are the only Japanese cars in our Market thats made in Japan.
    The Mazda3, CX3, MX5 & CX9 are all nippon CBUs. CX5 used to be, pre-TRAIN. Now, they come from Malaysia & the 2 from Thailand.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    I think only the Prius and the Alphard are the only Japanese cars in our Market thats made in Japan...

Vios was made for emerging markets...
    Subaru cars are mostly from Japan. Some models are assembled in Malaysia (local market only) and some are made in North America.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetlucious View Post
    I don’t think any car from the current watered down lineup would light up the interest of the car modifiers.
    Hence the introduction of these low cost models, I believe. Back to being a "people's car".

So far, I've only seen a few of them on the road. Although Santana was released earlier, I've seen more new Vioses.

Sent from my SM-J106B using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cesarborja View Post
    Hence the introduction of these low cost models, I believe. Back to being a "people's car".

So far, I've only seen a few of them on the road. Although Santana was released earlier, I've seen more new Vioses.

30,000vios vs 00,300santana 🤭

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    30,000vios vs 00,300santana ��
    The Vios is a good car... just wish it had more soul and a cleaner face.

Best selling doesn't always mean it's the best vehicle (for you).
    Just look at the most watched primetime show on local television.

I always recommend checking out the car and test driving it first.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2018
    30,000vios vs 00,300santana 🤭
    Not too far from the truth there.

Back to the OP, it seems that personal experience data on this model is hard to come by at this point. So far there's only the well-publicized fleet buyer (i.e. Home Depot and Diamond Rent a Car).

Personally digging the plain jane look. Aged, yes but classy, inoffensive, gets the job done and does not pretend to be sporty (Something I find silly with the other contemporary designs - all those aggresive looks and nonsense bolt-ons)

Hope this one will thrive and will still be around a few years down the road.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    The Vios is a good car... just wish it had more soul and a cleaner face.

Best selling doesn't always mean it's the best vehicle (for you).
    Just look at the most watched primetime show on local television.

I always recommend checking out the car and test driving it first.
    agree naman. people go for vfm, brand, practicality, passion ( im looking at you trav!) and other reasons

10. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    agree naman. people go for vfm, brand, practicality, passion ( im looking at you trav!) and other reasons
    Hahaha....I belong to the minority & "other reasons".VW Santana The GTI has always been a dream. I was wishing they'd bring the pocket-friendlier Polo version in. Apparently, not.VW Santana

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast