New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Any thoughts on the new beetle? I've been reading a lot about it and have seen it up close.

My dad wants one and I don't know if he will enjoy it. Any comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The Beetle 1.4T DSG is too pricey for 1.79M. I have seen the Beetle Clubman at VW-BGC and it's not that appealing compared to the more sporty Golf GTi or the more luxurious Passat 2.0T.

The new Beetle is really a lifestyle car. It may not be practical but it caters more to the fancy of specific buyers. The Golf 1.4T DSG is a more practical choice as it shares the punchy 1.4L turbo gas engine, quick-shifting 7-speed DSG in a 5-door hatchback chassis. I have not test-driven the Beetle but the Golf 1.4T is one fun car to drive.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    The Beetle 1.4T DSG is too pricey for 1.79M. I have seen the Beetle Clubman at VW-BGC and it's not that appealing compared to the more sporty Golf GTi or the more luxurious Passat 2.0T.

The new Beetle is really a lifestyle car. It may not be practical but it caters more to the fancy of specific buyers. The Golf 1.4T DSG is a more practical choice as it shares the punchy 1.4L turbo gas engine, quick-shifting 7-speed DSG in a 5-door hatchback chassis. I have not test-driven the Beetle but the Golf 1.4T is one fun car to drive.
    I agree 100% with all your comments. We accept the beetle for what it is and my dad will be driving it for fun and out of nostalgia for he had a beetle for his first car. But will this current iteration of the beetle disappoint him? Or is it a fun car to cruise in? Are there any quality or reliability issues that come with it?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    We have the Jetta 1.6L TDI DSG and we are very pleased with its built quality. It is better than the Asian compacts. The Jetta, Golf, new Beetle, and Audi A3 share the same chassis under the VW compact car platform. I have driven the Jetta 2.0L TDI, Jetta 1.6L TDI, and Golf 1.4T. These are really good cars to drive so I guess the new Beetle will also be. I think the Beetle Clubman has the same seat motif as the Golf GTi.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    At the price of the VW Beetle, you have some better cars to choose from with even a better local support for maintenance and parts. You can spoil your dad in a bit of luxury and style plus good driving dynamics in a Mazda6 (comes free with 3 years maintenance cost). Or if your dad is the outgoing type, you can opt for the really sporty Subaru WRX - AWD grip, rally-tuned suspension, lots of power/torque on a practical 4-door sedan platform. If you opt for a coupe, either the Toyota 86 or Subaru BRZ will be quite nice.

If only VW-PH lowers the price of the Golf GTi to around 2M, it is much better car overall than the Beetle.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Diesel View Post
    Any thoughts on the new beetle? I've been reading a lot about it and have seen it up close.

My dad wants one and I don't know if he will enjoy it. Any comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If the dealer offers a test drive for the 2017 Beetle, go for one. Your dad will have a better feel for the car and decide if he wants one.

Personally, I think there are better cars for the money. But, go with what the heart desires.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I say that if your dad wants a Beetle, get a Beetle.

Doesn't matter if another car in the price range drives better or is more luxurious, at the end of the day, we should always choose what makes us happy.

Not to say that the Beetle is bad - it's a very torquey city cruiser. In fact, it's basically a funkier and less practical Jetta. Do note that it's not as small as the original Beetle which you can squeeze anywhere.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    There is another small German car with a small turbo gas engine available in the local market that is priced the same at 1.79M. It is about the same size as the Golf 1.4T but it has a more premium feel inside. It's the Mercedes Benz A180 hatchback. I met an agent in Glorieta last week and he said I am welcome to test-drive the models at their Alabang dealership.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    There is another small German car with a small turbo gas engine available in the local market that is priced the same at 1.79M. It is about the same size as the Golf 1.4T but it has a more premium feel inside. It's the Mercedes Benz A180 hatchback. I met an agent in Glorieta last week and he said I am welcome to test-drive the models at their Alabang dealership.
    Wow that's actually a very nice alternative. The A180 only has 122 hp but being a Chedeng, it'll turn more heads than a Beetle ever could. The 118i has more power but between the two, the A-Class is more attractive.

But if the heart really calls for the Beetle...

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    There's also the BMW 118i and Audi A1 TFSI. Although they have less power, because they are smaller they are just as quick as the bug. Probably better in the corners. But the bug looks really unique.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast