New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2007
    Good day my fellow Tsikoteers! For those who will be travelling to and from the US, I just want to share these friendly reminders given by a friend of mine. This information is very alarming and it is worth sharing to save us travellers from trouble and embarassment.
    A Filipino friend shared this email. His friend who works for Homeland Security as Immigration Inspector at LAX ( Los Angeles International Airport ) called him yesterday to share the information that happened last weekend. A FIL-AM citizen who was flying to the Philippines for vacation was apprehended by an Airport Immigration agent while she was checking in her baggage and going through the X-ray machine. For some reason, she was randomly checked and was told to open all the envelopes inside her carry-on Coach bag.

They found 10 envelops addressed to different people in the Philippines. When all the envelops were opened, a total of $11,000 cash was discovered. They asked the traveler if she knew the contents of the envelope. She said no, because all the envelopes are just padala' and the senders didn't tell her whether or not there was money inside.

Immigration agents showed her a Policy and guidance stating that it is illegal to import and export over $10,000 in any Asian countries to prevent the possibility of supporting terrorism.

She was fined $500, her name was 'red labeled' by Immigration (means every time she enters and exits the airport, she will be searched 100%), and she also missed her scheduled flight to the Philippines for being held almost 5 hours. Hard to believe that departing passengers from the U.S. are also subject to the policy but looks like it is being strictly enforced now.

The lessons learned is before you accept any 'padala', make sure the envelopes are open and you physically see the contents of it or just plainly say 'sorry but I can't accept any padala' for your own safety.

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:38 pm (PST)
    This email came from a former U.S. Embassy employee and this could be useful to all balikbayans

Subject: TRAVEL ADVISORY FROM AMERICAN EMBASSY MANILA

Please share this with your friends and relatives.

Please be informed of the recent travel advisory to the United States. However, not only pirated VCDs/DVDs are on the hot list. Customs officials are also looking into fake bags like Louis Vuitton, Coach, etc. Please be informed that the American Association of Publishers (AAP) has also alerted the American customs officers to check out for pirated books. This information; was given to me by Patricia Judd of the AAP.

Please warn all nursing graduates who plan to take the NCLEX and CGF exams in the States not to bring in these pirated books because there will be a penalty of automatic deportation as violation of intellectual property rights. If you know anyone going from the Philippines and coming back to the USA , with 'pasalubongs' and 'padalas,' please read this important enclosed advisory from the American Embassy in Manila . Please share with your friends.

Just a friendly reminder: if you have plans of going to the U.S., please take precautionary measures on all 'padalas,' especially those containing fake/pirated compact discs/DVDs. US Embassy employees have been given an advisory that as US Gov't employees, we should abide by the U.S.laws, including Intellectual Property Rights (anti-piracy) laws.

As an additional incentive, the Consular Section recently received a report that the Department of Homeland Security
    (DHS) searched the bag of a Filipino entering the U.S. on NW 72 in Detroit .

During the search, 70-80 compact discs, 30-40 empty DVD jackets and 10-20 DVDs were found. Since the travelers were not American citizens, their visas were canceled and they returned to the Philippines. If they had been Americans, they could have been subject to br & gt arrest and criminal prosecution in addition to civil fines and penalties.

Please remember even ONE pirated item can jeopardize your trip. Also, the fingerprinting system has successfully been instituted in all port of entries. I suggest you bring extra identification cards in addition to your passport to facilitate your entry in the US Immigration.
    Last edited by LadyRider; December 8th, 2007 at 01:58 AM.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Parang may ganitong thread na in the past ah........

Anyway, baka naman tanggap lang siya nang tanggap ng padala without even checking yung contents ng envelope.

Ako sa tagal kong naga-abroad, basta may mga padala, sinasabihan ko na agad yung tao (kahit kilala ko pa) na itsi-check ko lang yung laman ng envelope or package. Walang samaan ng loob. Dapat din intindihin nila na ako ang bibiyahe, hindi sila, at ako ang mapeperwisyo, kung magkakaroon ng problema sa immigration. Mahirap kasi, baka may mga ilegal sa package, patay na!

Ganun lang para walang abala sa biyahe.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^^yup, matagal ng ganito, kahit dito sa atin di pwede maglabas ng $10k, but kung talagang kailangan eh, you just need to declare it...no biggie..

about doon sa fake LV bags, sa LAX or is it san diego airport meron akong nakita isang boutique nagbebenta din ng mga fake LV...

swertehan din lang kung bubuksan yun balikbayan box mo, ang dami kong dalang mga fake bags when I went there, marami kasing pinabili mga cousins ko doon, eh hinde naman binuksan, pero yun babae nauna sa akin binuksan dahil sa chicharon..heheehehe

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    I heard about these about a year ago. Anyway, thanks for posting for the benefit of those who are not aware yet.

Traffic Info blog :car:

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Immigration officers probably saw the money through the X-ray machine and realized she had a lot so they knew what to look for and just called it random.

Don't bring things without knowing what they are and don't bring too much ca$h either! Back in Manila I think that's money laundering(?).

Incidentally my mother in law was caught going to Singapore with rolls of money tucked up her clothes that's...slightly off topic but funny nonetheless!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I just remebered 50 Cent's 'Just A lil Bit' video :lol:

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    nothing new naman.matagal ng enforced yan diba?kung above $10k declare molang para ala ng abala.

para naman don sa mga nagpapadala, pakisabi nalang don sa magdadala kung me pera o kontrabando ang papadala

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chua_riwap View Post
    Parang may ganitong thread na in the past ah........

heto mukhang related dyan

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43233

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by VtEC View Post
    nothing new naman.matagal ng enforced yan diba?kung above $10k declare molang para ala ng abala.

para naman don sa mga nagpapadala, pakisabi nalang don sa magdadala kung me pera o kontrabando ang papadala
    Korekek!

Parang minsan, nu'ng pabalik na ako ng Saudi. May nagpadala sa akin ng sulat, may litrato sa loob, di ko naman na-check yung picture, eh mahalay pala. Litrato ng Misis ng officemate ko, medyo "daring" yung kuha. He-he! At may litrato pang nagli-litson ng baboy!

Pinagalitan ako nu'ng immigration officer sa Riyadh, then sabay sabi hwag ko na raw uulitin ulit.

Mula noon, tsini-check ko na lahat ng padala sa akin.

U.S. Immigration, US Dept. of Homeland Security & TRAVEL ADVISORY