New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Making a good first impression for visitors / tourists is one of the most important functions of any airport. But NAIA personnel / management seem to have forgotten this, or do they intentionally overlook it? Especially NAIA 1.

Anyway, this is where it seems our country is good at lately -- making it to the list of "worsts" in the world:

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/worst-airports.htm

Why? The older terminals are in bad shape. Bribery exists.
    We even managed to go up from number 7 last year to number 5 this year. Now that is "improvement".

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    There is hope at this airport if you go to Terminal 3 where it is clean, spacious and has internet connection.
    NAIA 1 should have demolished years ago, unfortunately may litigation between the goverment and the builders of NAIA 3. The international carriers were afraid to move to NAIA 3 due to the case, since Fraport AG is a influential multinational company. It is also because of Fraport that Philippine Airlines is unable to fly routes into Europe. Only this year lang ata natalo ang Fraport and Piatco in favor of the goverment. In all honesty, NAIA 3 is light years improvement over NAIA 1. Hope matuloy ang pag lipat in the coming months.

http://www.newsflash.org/2004/02/hl/hl109952.htm

NAIA-3 to be privatized; government warned vs rush
    By Mary Ann Reyes and Aurea Calica (The Philippine Star) Updated August 02, 2010 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - The government will privatize the operation and maintenance of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 (NAIA 3) once all the legal obstacles to its full operation have been resolved, according to Transportation and Communications Secretary Jose de Jesus.

“All these legal issues, involving just compensation and arbitration proceedings, will have to be resolved first,” De Jesus said.

An expropriation case pending before the Pasay City Regional Trial Court appears to be the remaining legal obstacle to NAIA 3’s full operation after the International Criminal Court (ICC) in Singapore on Saturday, ruled in favor of the Philippine government in the arbitration case against the Philippine International Air Terminals Co. or PIATCO.

Earlier, the Washington-based International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes or ICSID dismissed the complaint of German firm Fraport AG Frankfurt Services Worldwide against the Philippine government.

President Aquino said that with the development in Singapore, the government hopes to fully operate NAIA 3 in December.

Fraport went to the Washington-based ICSID for expropriation as it alleged that the Philippine government violated the bilateral investment treaty by not paying it justly.

But ICSID ruled in favor of the Philippine government noting the material changes made in the contracts for NAIA 3 after they were signed. ICSID also took Fraport to task for violation of the anti-dummy law.

PIATCO went to ICC in Singapore and sought to have its original contracts honored and be paid according to its own computation of the project cost.
    Last edited by Monseratto; October 9th, 2010 at 05:01 PM.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    NAIA: "It has to be experienced to be believed. Think of a bombed out ruin and you'll get some idea. It's like a cattle yard only worse. Toilets filthy. No seating once you get thru customs (maybe 40 seats for a thousand passengers)."

"Bribery and corruption in this airport is rife and the scams start the minute you walk off the plane"

"The transfer desk is a joke, everything is designed around you exiting thru customs, so you have to pay the airport use fee (bribe) to catch a connecting flight. I travel to Asia for my job and took the routing thru Manila due to a last minute booking to save some money, big mistake......"

4. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    naia 1 should be refurbished, not demolished. its actually a beautiful airport, kung na maintain lang sana. if i call the shots, i would first upgrade the comfort rooms, change the tiles and carpet sa buong airport. paint what needs to be repainted. varnish what needs to be re-varnished. i would hire a firm that specializes in environmental graphics design. i would change all the counters, gang seats and other fixtures. i will ask our national artists, especially painters and sculptors to loan their precious works for display. i would landscape the surroundings also. i would also hire a lighting consultant and a reputable property management firm like jones, lang and lasalle or cb richard ellis. haay ganda sana ng airport natin

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by andywesteast View Post
    NAIA: "It has to be experienced to be believed. Think of a bombed out ruin and you'll get some idea. It's like a cattle yard only worse. Toilets filthy. No seating once you get thru customs (maybe 40 seats for a thousand passengers)."

"Bribery and corruption in this airport is rife and the scams start the minute you walk off the plane"

"The transfer desk is a joke, everything is designed around you exiting thru customs, so you have to pay the airport use fee (bribe) to catch a connecting flight. I travel to Asia for my job and took the routing thru Manila due to a last minute booking to save some money, big mistake......"
    Overkill naman ito........

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005

A few months earlier, my American boss called from NAIA as he was about to board his plane back to the US. The A/C wasn't working...

A few weeks ago, when we're the ones who are travelling,- there is no water in the CR....

10.9K:lotsocoffee:

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Proud siguro NAIA I kasi ka level nila ang mga airport sa Paris, La, New York and London

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    I've been to Morroco. Mas gugustuhin ko pa yung NAIA I natin, kesa sa airport nila sa Casa Blanca.

Yun lang ang airport na nakita ko, where cats are allowed to roam freely at the passengers' lounge..........

9. Join Date
    Nov 2008

Sadly, one of the world's best airports is just 500 miles away.....and its not ours.

Attention to detail is what NAIA is poor at. Notice the carpets mimic the design of the ceiling. And the angle of the carpet is parallel to the airbridges above. Yan ang pulido.

Dito, banyo lang hindi pa mapatino.

An airport is a reflection of your country.
    Last edited by marg; October 10th, 2010 at 03:56 AM.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by marg View Post

Sadly, one of the world's best airports is just 500 miles away.....and its not ours.

Attention to detail is what NAIA is poor at. Notice the carpets mimic the design of the ceiling. And the angle of the carpet is parallel to the airbridges above. Yan ang pulido.

Dito, banyo lang hindi pa mapatino.

An airport is a reflection of your country.
    HKIA looks like a high tech shopping mall. NAIA 1, even the Duty Free Shop just down the road, look like a rundown grocery store...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
2010 Worst Airports in the World