New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Mga bossing, 3rd owner napo ng A/T 94 Corolla, and odometer reading is at 106k.

I'm planning to have the transmission fluid changed. I'm not sure when was the last time the fluid was changed since I can't contact the previous owner.

Wala naman obvious problem sa transmission (only a burnt fluid smell after using the car), I just want to have the fluid replaced, but after reading an article (below), it made me think otherwise... Advice naman po... TIA!

"If your vehicle has high mileage (> 80,000 miles) and the transmission has not been maintained, I would not recommend replacing the fluid and filter. The fluid that has been in the transmission all this time has become dirty and gritty. This gritty fluid is actually providing needed friction for the worn internal parts of the transmission. Changing the fluid and replacing the filter would remove this friction that the internal transmission parts have become dependent on. If you have not been regularly maintaining the transmission throughout the life of the car, you might actually be doing more harm than good if you replace the transmission fluid at this point. For example, putting new clean slick transmission fluid in an older high mileage vehicle could cause the transmission to slip.

If you are not experiencing a problem, have over 80,000 miles on your car, and have not kept up regular maintenance on the transmission, my advice would be to leave the transmission fluid and filter alone. If you are experiencing a transmission problem like those listed above, seek the advice of a qualified transmission shop before allowing your regular mechanic to service the transmission."

Full article: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/transslip.html

2. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    I think this is just based on assumptions and incredible coincidences and the two cars that had troubles after the service may just as well be having problems soon even before fluid change after all. On some models, there are no clutch to slip and lose friction on.
    While the logic of the dirty fluid providing friction on worn internal parts may be debatable, would you wait for your transmission to finally give up on you while on the road? The mere fact that the internal parts are worn indicates an immediate need for repairs. Not doing such repairs because it might upset an already "upset" transmission is almost akin to denying an old man his medicine because he is dying anyway.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    balderdash! i'd change the fluid if it were up to me.
    as transmissions go, friction is one thing you want to minimize.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    sa experience ko naman i bought a 2nd hand isuzu trooper to be my "project car" the odo reads 100k+ when i got it. naisipan ko palitan yung trans fluid kasi nabasa ko na you should replace it every 40k. after about 2 months bumigay yung reverse nya ayaw na umatras! . im not tryin to scare you or anything. siguro minalas lang ako sa pagbili. maybe the previous owner did not take care of it very well

5. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    hindi advisable na palitan ng tranny fluid yan kung matagal na napabayaan. kase kadalasan sa ganyan talgang napadali ang pagkasira ng transaxle or transmission. Una, yung old fluid mataas na ang boiling temp non compare sa bago. 2nd, yung bagong fluid naman, matapang ang detergent non na pwdng mag alis ng mga dumi sa loob ng trany at babara yon sa valvebody. buti pa mag dagdag ka na lang ng fluid or ipa rebuild mo na lang ulit para sure ka na bago lahat ng piyesa mo at mga bushings seals and clutches sa loob.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Let's say napabayaan nga, how dirty should it be to classify na pinabayaan ang tranny.

Nakabili ako ng matic last month, first thing i check was the tranny fluid. Mabango pa and mejo sweet smelling, no burnt smell. Pero the color is medium dark brown. Parang 1 month old engine ang kulay, is that dirty?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    That's just hearsay. You can replace the ATF as needed. Just be sure to use the correct one. The wrong ATF type WILL destroy your A/T in no time.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Here is another discussion about the topic that clearly shows the transmission is in a bad shape already and may soon break down whether you change the fluid or not. Again, it's like contemplating an operation on a person with fears of complication. Don't operate and just "wait" or do and hope for the best. Bold emphasis is mine.

to quote:
    Yes, if you haven't serviced it on a regular basis, doing so now could actually cause it to start slipping. Especially if you flush it.
    If the transmission is already damaged, those metal shavings and other debris is providing the friction to keep it working. If you flush that fluid out and put in new fluid, there might not be enough friction to work anymore.

Draining it and refilling it might not be as bad though. It depends on the amount of damage. But if you drain it and check out the fluid, you will get a better idea. Since just draining it doesn't remove all of the fluid, if there is damage, the old fluid that still remaining in the converter might be enough to keep it working. Kind of like a fish tank, you leave a little of the old water in there for the algae and bacteria the fish need. The inside of the transmission is worn and damaged, it needs the friction at this point.

But if there is damage, at one point or another you will need to replace or rebuild the transmission. It wont matter how much friction you have if everything is broken and worn down to nothing. But replacing the fluid really isn't going to help at this point, as far as keeping the transmission in good shape. That's why a transmission service is called "preventive" maintenance.

And no, the transmission doesn't get "used" to the old fluid. New fluid is better for the transmission and will prolong the life, however if the transmission is already damaged, the friction provided by the old fluid (and all the debris in it) is what is keeping it from slipping, for now. It will eventually completely tear up the tranny and it will need to be fixed. But changing the fluid at this point could very well cause it to start slipping.

The best thing would have been proper maintenance in the first place... We can all agree to that. At this point, I think your best option is draining out some of the old fluid and adding new. Flushing would completely remove all of the old fluid, so just drain it instead. You will be able to inspect the old fluid for debris and see how bad it is.

Contact any reputable tranny shop and ask them if they will flush your transmission fluid. Then tell them you have 150k + miles and have never serviced it before. 99% of them will tell you no, and why. Then again, some will tell you sure, because they know you will be forced into getting a rebuild right after the service.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8141032AAiyHOW

9. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Thanks sa mga reply! I'll have my fluid changed tomorrow, will just keep this thread updated if something happens (hopefully none ).

Btw, regarding on checking the smell of the fluid, should that be done before (cold) or after (hot) using the car?

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Iyong pag check mo ng amoy ng fluid mas maganda kung cold pa engine .Kung amoy sunog kahit mainit pa makina ganoon din amoy niyan. Kung chocolate brown na kulay palitin na iyan.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Transmission fluid change - A/T