New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last weekend, we got stuck on the boonies here in Cambodia because our vehicle (a Toyota 4WD A/T) went bonkers on us. Since we were in a hurry and we all know that there's no service station within miles, we wanted to tow the vehicle (we were 4 vehicles in all). But since my companions and I know, as a rule of thumb, that towing an A/T vehicle would be a no-no, we had this little discussion.

I would be the first to admit that I don't know much about the mechanisms inside an A/T tranny, but I recommended that we remove the propeller shaft (heck, we had the tools anyway and the muscle - there were 7 males in our group). One agreed but the others did not. So, since we all come from democratic countries, we had a vote. Needless to say, we lost. So, we got stuck there until late in the afternoon until help finally came along.

Gentlemen and ladies, I hope you can help me provide answers to my curiosities and ignorance. So here goes:

1. Was I correct in my recommendation to remove the propeller shaft so we might be able to tow the vehicle?

2. If we had indeed removed the propeller shaft, would we have been able to tow the vehicle? If yes, would there be any damage to the vehicle?

3. Let's assume that I got stuck in the city (here or there in the Philippines) with my A/T ride and I need to move it from Point A (where I stalled) to Point B (where I want it to be moved), how would I do it safely?

Pardon the questions but I've been the owner of an A/T vehicle for only a few months so I'm still reading up on this type of tranny.

Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    is it at full time 4wd or the one with a manual gear shift for the 4wd tranny?

i thought you could just put the small gear shift in neutral and then you could tow it already? i am by no means a mechanic, so please correct me if i am wrong

andy

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    No, it's not a full-time 4WD. It has a manual gear-shift to engage the A/T.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    According to the manual of my wife's 94 Corona AT, put the gear in "N" and you're ready to be towed. Just be sure to put in also the key so the steering wheel will not lock.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    honda a/ts don't like to be towed anywhere more than a couple kilometers away. i don't know why. maybe the gears inside the tranny are still engaged to the engine (?). pacencia na can't be of more help...dunno much about a/t cars din eh.

although i have pushed my civic a/t a few hundred meters to nearest gas station once...tapos i found out it was just a dud battery, kaya pala ayaw mag start hehe

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by bogart
    According to the manual of my wife's 94 Corona AT, put the gear in "N" and you're ready to be towed. Just be sure to put in also the key so the steering wheel will not lock.
    what will happaen if the gear is on "Park (P)"?

hhmm... pwede kayang kasuhan yung towing company dito pag nasira?

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolodeon
    No, it's not a full-time 4WD. It has a manual gear-shift to engage the A/T.
    The lever that engages 4WD usually has H2-N-H4-Lo4. If you have this type just set it to N-neutral and safely tow...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    "N" should be just fine. if you are able to lift the drive wheels off the ground, that's even better. if you leave the tranny in Park when towing...well, it's time to buy a new drivetrain...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFAIK, for a part-time 4WD, it's best to put the transmission in P, then put the transfer case in N. this way, the transmission will not be prone to damage from non-circulating oil (because the tranny is disconnected from the drive wheels).

for a full-time 4WD or a two-wheel-drive vehicle... if you have no choice, put the tranny in N and tow (you shouldn't go too far though, for example, my owner's manual says that towing with the drive wheels down should not exceed a total of 80 km for the life of the vehicle). or better, put it in P and then remove the propeller shafts.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If tranny is in "Park" (P) a "tooth" locks the moving tranny parts to the tranny casing. Pansin nyo i-P ang tranny while parked sa medyo slanted na area. When you release the brakes you will feel the car move konti before the tranny locks. Towing the car with the tranny locked would be disastrous.
    Last edited by JohnM; July 4th, 2005 at 12:43 PM. Reason: grammar check

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Towing A/T vehicles