New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Hi guys!

I just like to know the proper shifting of gear with regards to when to shift to a higher gear and when to go back. I'm tired na kasi of hearing other people say that they do it just by listening to the engine. I know that it should be based from both km/h and rpm guages, im just not sure how.

I also heard that gear shifting contributes a lot to fuel economy. Can anyone explain this also? And what could be the negative effect if you're not doing it right?
    Last edited by ravelcop; April 27th, 2005 at 02:32 PM. Reason: turn on email notification

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    in my opinion, you can follow your car manual on proper gear shift changes. but for me, it depends on if i drive fast or not. but usually i shift my gears at around 1900-2200rpm. Changing your gears improperly will cause more wear & tear or fuel consumption.
    Last edited by av8or5; April 27th, 2005 at 03:05 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    actually, for people who are "in-touch" with the car (for lack of a better word), yup, pwedeng by ear, sanay na sila, but usually, here goes:

for m/t and semi-a/t (invecs, smg, etc...):

yup, it contributes to fuel economy, if you upshift at the lowest possible rpm possible without stalling the engine and without making your acceleration overly slow. now as to which rpm exactly, depende sa car na yun.

for m/t only:

upshifts or downshifts, do it as soon as possible so that you won't lose revs, which will make things difficult kasi ma-aalangan ang engine and you might stall too.

i've heard of rev-matching, where you bring the rev to the past rev level on other cars to line up the gears, pero i hear that usually from impreza wrx owners, so i guess this doesn't apply to most of us.

negative effect of not doing gearshifts correctly (like unnecessary riding on the clutch, frequent gear grinding), usually the componens to give would be the clutch and gears.

dami pa yan, this is just off the top of my head, balik muna ako to taking an evaluation. let's wait for the others to post.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    so paano if you'd like to go back to a lower gear? syempre hindi pwedeng rpm maging basis para dyan.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Here's what I do on my M/T ride:

After I shift gears to a higher, I count "1-2-3" while depressing my clutch at every count. After I reach three, that's when I step on the gas. Allows me to have a much smoother transition to a higher gear. At, dehins umaangil yung engine.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    actually, the reason for going down to a lower gear, assuming that you're on a level road (no incline), is if the current gear is too low in terms of rpm (speep depends on this, not the other way around) and the engine would stall.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ravelcop
    so paano if you'd like to go back to a lower gear? syempre hindi pwedeng rpm maging basis para dyan.
    usually you go back to a lower gear when you have already slowed down. Hindi naman kakagat sa lower gear kung masyado kang mabilis.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    i got your point jim, iniisip ko lang how to downshift to an appropriate gear. yung tipong hindi mag aalanganin ang makina sa sobrang taas at the same time hindi rin hihiyaw sa sobrang baba ng gear. pwede kaya maging basehan ang km/h?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ravelcop
    i got your point jim, iniisip ko lang how to downshift to an appropriate gear. yung tipong hindi mag aalanganin ang makina sa sobrang taas at the same time hindi rin hihiyaw sa sobrang baba ng gear. pwede kaya maging basehan ang km/h?
    para hindi tumalon ang revs mo kapag nag dodownshift ka, ganito gawin mo...

- shift to neutral
    - blip the throttle
    - downshift

depende kasi sa engine size rin kung aling km/h ka mag shift... kung easy driving ako ganito:

2nd - 10 kph
    3rd - 30 kph
    4th - 50 kph
    5th - 60 kph

10. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    normal driving and normal load i up shift at 2k, down shift naman between 1k-1.2k. yun ang smooth sa makina ko.

btw, i drive an ek vti, ihe lang ang mods

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Proper gear shifting